Scottish Election

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
The borders have been Tory heartland for as long as I can remember; rich farmers that own land so they're bound to be Tory. East Lothian is also a safe Scottish Labour seat. Even then, they won it with 39% compared to SNP's 38.5% - a testicle hair in it.

rynnor

Rockhound
Its impressive, particularly as Labour designed the system to make this near impossible :)

I tend to think this is the high point for the SNP though - once the referendum goes No they must surely decline - isnt that their whole purpose?

old.user4556

Also, for what it's worth, the Scottish Highlands has the most beautiful scenery in the whole of God's green earth. ;)

As for beaches, Scotland > Thailand

Isle of Harris -
1115-49-photo1-2v9ndg0m50.jpg

Shame it's like 5 degrees :p

rynnor

Rockhound
Did you know scotland was originally part of the North American continent? But for an accident of geology you could be living in Nova Scotia...

old.user4556

I was aware it belonged to something far, far away. Not a galaxy though.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Or the SNP using the cash wisely in the investment of the country's future?

Wisely, led by Alex Salmond? The man who wanted Scotland to join the "Arc of Prosperity", which included Ireland, Iceland and Norway?

old.user4556

Oh come on, everyone wanted a slice of the economic boom pie when the times were good and he was no different.

Nate

FH is my second home
I'd rather pay less tax then have the scotts part of the UK! Away with them!!!

If we all drive up and down the line it'll eventually get low enough that it breaks off right? Road trip!!!!

russell

FH is my second home
Being Scottish i think it would be a stupid idea to break away, for everyone involved

I also hate this whole yeah we support you, you get all your money from us, as if its a country that just all on the dole.

It couldnt happen realisitically, someone mentioned the military, thats a great example, a large amount of the infantry in the UK is Scottish, so the English army would be massively reduced which meant they couldnt support wars with America which will have a massive impact in other areas.
And what about Faslane? thats a massive base for the south to lose, and the SAS? nearly two thirds of the SAS are Scottish, do we disband them?

I live in London, does that mean no more Irn Bru in the shops? or will it be really expensive? its bad enough not having decent square sausages

square sausages?

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Wisely, led by Alex Salmond? The man who wanted Scotland to join the "Arc of Prosperity", which included Ireland, Iceland and Norway?

Nothing wrong with Norway. 4th Highest GDP per capita in the world, largely avoided any effects of the so called global economic downturn. Really fucking fantastic standard of living. Sensible enough to stay out of the EU. When the other halves mother shuffles off this mortal coil, we would seriously consider using my dual nationality to emigrate.

Will

/bin/su
Square sausage, aka lorne sausage. Nom.

Embattle

FH is my second home
Nothing wrong with Norway. 4th Highest GDP per capita in the world, largely avoided any effects of the so called global economic downturn. Really fucking fantastic standard of living. Sensible enough to stay out of the EU. When the other halves mother shuffles off this mortal coil, we would seriously consider using my dual nationality to emigrate.

Massive tax as well, boy do they whine about it :p

pez

Can't get enough of FH
As a native South Westerner I sympahise with regionalism and I do not think it leads to independence. Canadian model springs to mind.

I absolutely think no one in the UK would be better off with a split up UK. I mean, we are already way overdue to lose all the international clout we still maintain and a solitary England would be dropped to tier 3 world status and tier 2 European status.

Besides, any independence movements from within UK/Spain/Germany/France will only strength the EU in the long run as it absorbs all the little pieces.

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Massive tax as well, boy do they whine about it :p

Show me a people that don't whine about tax. Thing is, it's well spent, and in the good times the Norweigans put plenty aside to get them happily through the recent problems.

The biggest reason I would seriously consider a move there is the country's insistence that real life, is more important than work. Not in a militant, striking, sheep burning French manner, just a basic rooted belief that time must be put aside for spending time with your family, skiing, sailing, playing footie, shooting Moose, whatever. The outdoor life, if that's what you like, is hard to beat in any comparison with Norway.

So yes, tax is high, but quality of life is astronomic.

Sorry for thread drift.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I mention not because some how others don't but simply because they do so more than any one else I've ever talked to, Scotland isn't Norway any way.

MrHorus

Can't get enough of FH
I'd rather pay less tax then have the scotts part of the UK! Away with them!!!

And that fuel duty that you English whinge about constantly - what do you think will happen to it once you lose the Scottish oil fields?

Tom

I am a FH squatter
And that fuel duty that you English whinge about constantly - what do you think will happen to it once you lose the Scottish oil fields?

Nothing, since most of Scotland will be heading over the border to find a real prospect of work.

rynnor

Rockhound

Bingo because its just a tax and has nothing to do with where the oil is from - we are already net importers. North Sea oil is dwindling fast having nearly halved already since its peak in 99.

old.user4556

The usual adage of "there is more oil than they first thought, it's just more expensive to drill" does still apply. Oil is expensive enough to make it economically viable to go after more. That said, I don't ever use it as a plus for independence because a) I'm not a nationalist fuckwit and b) I don't want independence.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
The usual adage of "there is more oil than they first thought, it's just more expensive to drill" does still apply. Oil is expensive enough to make it economically viable to go after more. That said, I don't ever use it as a plus for independence because a) I'm not a nationalist fuckwit and b) I don't want independence.

Oil is a commodity. The price has nothing to do with where it comes from (barring transport costs.)

old.user4556

I'm not sure I follow? If it's hard to get at, then the amount of investment to drill it out makes it a reasonably worthless effort for the oil companies?

rynnor

Rockhound
I'm not sure I follow? If it's hard to get at, then the amount of investment to drill it out makes it a reasonably worthless effort for the oil companies?

Precisely - this is a good thing though as it means there will always be some reserves for high value uses like pharmaceuticals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom