Question Scotland - Amsterdam - Geneva - France.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
ok,

im trying to figure out the following.

we are travelling to France (La Plagne) on the following route :

Glasgow --> Amsterdam --> Geneva --> La Plagne.

I know that in Schipol airport, if you are travelling from the UK to a country within the Schengen agreement, that you have to pass through Passport Control at Schipol Airport.

However, Switzerland is not within the Schengen agreement, so do you need to pass through passport control in Schipol or in Geneva (French Side)?

sayward

Resident Freddy
Driving always have to show passport to get to Geneva airport from France. Flying we usually come out of the airport Swiss side have never gone out the French side, or do you mean you are flying onwards?

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
sorry - should have been clearer.

flying Glasgow - Amsterdam - Geneva.

Driving from Geneva to La Plagne

sayward

Resident Freddy
Think you need to show your passport then, I'll ask other half when I can, but I don't think he's ever come out the French side. Think if it's not an internal flight you'll have to.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
You'll go through passport control to get from Schipol to Geneva because its still Swiss territory until you exit the airport. Doesn't matter anyway since you have to show photo ID to get on aircraft even inside the Schengen countries.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
I assume what you are trying to ask is: If you were flying from Amsterdam to France directly you wouldn't need to go through passport control in Amsterdam however as you are flying via Geneva will you need to.

I would have thought that you would have to show your passport in Amsterdam. However you wouldn't need to in Geneva because you don't leave the airport. You still need some kind of photo ID to get onto planes.

Also, Geneva airport is entirely in Switzerland. Any normal person cannot leave the airport directly into France.

sayward

Resident Freddy
Well you can go in that way, French taxis can only go to the French side and that's
where they have to pick you up.

Have just spoken to Hub, if you fly to Geneva French side, No, but as was said earlier you'd need it to get on the flight in the first place 1.e. if I was to fly Paris to Geneva, French side.

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
ok -mute point now since we decided to go for a flight with a longer period between landing and taking off in Schipol.

Still curios tho.

Britain is NOT in Schengen and neither is Geneva, so I wouldnt think you would need to go through passport control in Schipol (including the scanning of your hand luggage etc.

however, France IS in the Schengen agreement and I would have thought you would need to do the security thing in France.

not really sure now - I think I confused my self........oh look , penguins!

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
ok -mute point now since we decided to go for a flight with a longer period between landing and taking off in Schipol.

Still curios tho.

Britain is NOT in Schengen and neither is Geneva, so I wouldnt think you would need to go through passport control in Schipol (including the scanning of your hand luggage etc.

however, France IS in the Schengen agreement and I would have thought you would need to do the security thing in France.

not really sure now - I think I confused my self........oh look , penguins!

For all practical purposes there's no difference between Schengen and non-Schengen countries when it comes to air travel (not since Sept 11 anyway); you'll need to show photo ID (and since Brits don't have that, its a passport anyway) and you'll still need to get your bags scanned). Different in surface transport of course.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
I don't really follow but I went from Switzerland over to France and was asked for passport there and back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom