Scooters -> how cheap can I get one?

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
It's my birthday next month and my dad should be (hopefully) paying for my CBT. I've worked my ass off and should hopefully have £200 + bday money (which i'm hoping will be £100 all in all - from family and so on).

The real question is - will £300-350 get me a scooter that will work? I'm not bothered about flash scooters - I just want one to get me from a to b.

I took a look in the Bike Ad Magazine but it's mostly motorbikes.

Thanks in advance.

Marc

FH is my second home
Just steal a placcy bomber and save your £300

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
You can probably pick up a 2nd hand Honda C90 for about £350

Remember you'll need tax and insurance. Tax is about £15 a year. Insurance, well, for a first timer with no NCD, young, you'll be looking at about £400 a year for a 125CC, maybe £300 for a 90CC. You'll need a proper safety helmet. Do NOT ever buy a 2nd hand crash helmet. They might look ok on the outside, but if they've been kicked about, they're as good as useless. You can expect to pay £100 for a decent helmet. Don't skimp on helmet quality.

You should really get some protective clothing. Gloves. You can't squeeze the brakes if your hands are frozen. Remember its coming up to winter. Shit weather. You'll need warm clothing. Ideally a bikers jacket - at the very least one with elbow and back padding. That'll set you back at least £100.

There are so many fucking young idiots riding scooters out there.

New scooter for £300 ? No chance LOL. The best all round scooter is probably a Honda Dylan SES 125 - new they are about £1700.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
My dad's a biker so I already have the helmet etc. etc.

I only need a scooter and insurance/tax.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Should cost you a couple of quid a day in petrol. For a 125CC, a full tank will set you back £5.

Don't forget servicing. Particularly brake pads ! Very important.

Pre-safety flight checks: POWER (power, oil, water, electrics, rubber - ie tyres)

Check tyres for punctures before you ride out every day. You've only got 2 wheels. If you get a blow-out at 40 mph on a busy road, you're dead meat. You'll skid, and the lorry behind you won't have time to swerve, and he'll cut you in half.

Do NOT top up brake fluid !!! Its a hydrolic pressurised system. Low brake fluid means either a fluid leak, or your brake pads a wearing.

kivik

Part of the furniture
Someone doesn't want Bugz to buy a scooter!

And I fully agree with him, scooters are gay.

Solo

Fledgling Freddie
Save up for a car instead for when your old enough.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I ride a motorbike myself. Nothing wrong with scooters per se - if they're ridden safely. They're perfect for zipping around London on. Its the fucking dumb-ass 16 year old kids riding them that pisses me off. I wish my bike had mounted machine guns on the front so I could take those little pricks out.

Azurus

Can't get enough of FH
Just when i thought you couldn't get any cooler... :p

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
First off a 100£ for your what, 17th birthday? F*ck off you spoiled brat.

Second, buying a scooter is just a teenage "i wanna!" phase, which, if you do, you'll regret when it's car time and if you don't buy...well...oh noes...you have to use a bike/bus.

It's a stupid move, don't do it, or regret it later.

Especially if you don't just happen to have the cash for a decent one, 'cause with that cash, you'll probably end up buying second hand and in any case probably around a lamppost somewhere.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
how is £100 spoilt? usually in this country we give presents OR money, both if someone is lucky, for a birthday.

i got £300 for my 21st, i felt lucky as fuck, doesnt mean im spoilt though.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Toto makes a good point. Be VERY careful if you're buying a 2nd hand scooter. You can pick up a half decent BMW 3 series for £4000. Wait and get a car IMO.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
I'm not going to say what I got for my 19th/grandparent coming here last time.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
how is £100 spoilt? usually in this country we give presents OR money, both if someone is lucky, for a birthday.

i got £300 for my 21st, i felt lucky as fuck, doesnt mean im spoilt though.

It was a "pun" of sorts. I didn't mean "Oh look at you, you're high class etc etc etc."

Just fits the "f*ck off" better then "F*ck off you who gets a lot of money for a birthday"

Next time i'll know and say "F*ck off you lucky git", or some such tomfoolery.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
well it would make more sense.

Noticed i forgot the :D from the "f*ck off..." thing, that's the problem.

Damn internetz.

But honestly, on the subject of "spoiled" etc, i noticed that on the other thread it caused quite a rowrow when Bugz said "high class".

Is this somewhat of a tabu, carefully threaded subject in the UK/england in particular? Just asking honestly, want to avoid any awkward situations.

Overdriven

Dumpster Fire of The South
But honestly, on the subject of "spoiled" etc, i noticed that on the other thread it caused quite a rowrow when Bugz said "high class".

He wouldn't want you to get high classed and chav mixed up.

I'm quite happy being middle classed.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
high class people think they pwnzor the place and better than the average noob.

its basically like an elite d00d next to a 1 day noob, thats how they compare them selves.

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
TBH I apologized and explained what I meant to say on the other thread.

If £100 for a bday is spoilt then you really have no idea of the people in Britain :)

- English -

Resident Freddy
i got the best present ever for my 18th which i posted here a while back - which is even more special to me now :)... i even brought it to uni with me for good luck

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
I can break your legs and your back for free if thats what you're going for.

The number of people I've seen being knocked of scooters is in the twenties, and they go flying, even if its a tap.

DocWolfe

Part of the furniture
i got the best present ever for my 18th which i posted here a while back - which is even more special to me now :)... i even brought it to uni with me for good luck

I got 5 lapdances paid for by my uncle, my cousin and my dad for my 18th.

EDIT: FEMALE LAPDANCES

Bugz

Fledgling Freddie
Btw, is the CBT the only test open to me at the age of 17? I'd like to go into a motorcycle (the next one up from a scooter) but I assume that will require an older age?

Huntingtons

Resident Freddy
i dont remember and dont partically care to be remembered but im guessing a dildo?

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
TBH I apologized and explained what I meant to say on the other thread.

If £100 for a bday is spoilt then you really have no idea of the people in Britain :)

Funny you should mention that, since scandics don't really care either, any more then you care about our ways :D

Jsut that english types think other people care.

Anyhoo, like i explained above, as did you on other thread, it wasn't meant as such.

But a 100£ for a 17th b-day is a bit much, in my books. Hensh the "spoilt brat/lucky git" comment.

My last b-day, i got a happy bday from one friend, around 80e altogether and happy bday from my mom, grandma and aunt, also one of my brothers. That's it. Not even this lot remembered :eek: :D It was all good, as i don't celebrate it, nor care for that much "celebration" and gift giving about it, but it's nice to notice people actually take the time to remember.

Ah yes, i got about 3 cousins, another brother, 4 more "distant" relatives, their kids, around 4 or 5 friends who i remember each birthday, so no txt(even) from them was a bit "what?" to me. Don't care for items/cash, care for remembering.

Mey

Part of the furniture
Can't you start to drive at 17? Tbh save the £300 pass your driving test with it and then rob your mum/dads car :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom