SCO Sues Microsoft.....

E

Embattle

....well not really does make you wonder where this company might stop and how much of a risk to Linux development it might pose should it actually succeed.

TBH I reckon their lawsuit will fail, even it doesn't then I don't see a company able to justify getting a settlement for $1bn when its annual revenue for this year would be less than $80m. Whatever IBM might or might not of stole surely wouldn't be worth $1bn, although it is the US so who knows ;)

*Cough Repost ;)*

S

(Shovel)

I believ that SCO are kinda buggered now though, since new Open-Source converts Novell have just popped upped and pointed out that SCO don't own what it is that they think they own..?

E

Embattle

Yep, Novell is claiming rights to the rights that SCO is claiming are being infringed...this could be a case of sue them and we will sue you.

T

Testin da Cable

actually SCO pulled IBM's unix licence for AIX on friday which is a bit of a laugh really. I've been ribbing the RS/6000 people at work quite harshly heh. they (SCO) are quite adamant that all AIX running systems must be shut down and old blue is no longer allowed to sell their OS iirc. teh funni!

S

(Shovel)

It's interesting that they are after the money before any legal result has been declared, I'm interested to know what their reaction is to companies who want to wait until after any court case.

E

Embattle

The funny thing is that all the companies in the Fortune 1000 and Global 500 are most probably bigger than SCO, its not as if it is giant like MS bullying smaller companies.

S

(Shovel)

A sudden theory:

Has the GPL caught SCO out?

SCO - to my knowledge - had a Linux distro (it was recently withdrawn prior to all this faffing). Now, they would have released that,under their name, with their code in it, yes? Therefore they are obliged to release said code under the GPL by default?

Therefore, if they continue their claim, they breech the GPL, and are subject to a counter-sue by the Free Software Foundation, and - critically - they have to release the code so no one is subject to a lunatic license fee?

Someone tell me I'm wrong...

S

(Shovel)

$200 for a desktop system?

So, for a piece of processor scaling code, a desktop user is charged $200...

ha. ha ha ha. ha ha. please stop. ha ha. ha.

I think is underlines the fact that SCO are just money grabbing, bitter, faggots that missed the boat on Linux.
Having said that, if they do have the IP, then people are kinda screwed.

Steve Ballmer must be pissing himself...

S

Sibanac

Originally posted by (Shovel)

I think is underlines the fact that SCO are just money grabbing, bitter, faggots that missed the boat on Linux.
Having said that, if they do have the IP, then people are kinda screwed.

Not realy since SCO = caldera and caldera released a linux distro under GPL, it could mean they own the IP but gave it away themself under gpl so they would end up invalidation their own claim :)

Users who are viewing this thread