Sci - Fi Books

S

scott_church

most books by heinlein are good, but if you liked the starship troopers film, you probably will not like the book and vice versa

S

SilverHood

the preludes to Dune are pretty decent, even if you know nothing of Dune :)

H

Hot Soup

I Am Legend - richard mathieson
The Dorsai Books by gordon dickson
Foundation Trilogy - asimov
Ringworld series - niven
Footfall & Legacy Of Heorot - niven & pournelle
Artemis Fowl - colfer .. not sci fi but good fun :D

S

SilverHood

Originally posted by Hot Soup
Artemis Fowl - colfer .. not sci fi but good fun :D

The most brilliant book I have read in a long long time....

even if it's labeled as a childrens book :clap:

D

DaGaffer

Originally posted by darthshearer
Anygood Sci Fi books that I can start to read? Authours Series?

What kind of Sci Fi? It's a fairly broad field you know ;)

Personally, I've been reading loads of Alternate History lately, partic. Harry Turtledove stuff ('American Empire' series, 'Worldwar' series) and Eric Flint (1633, 1634) and SM Stirling (Drakon, Islands in the Sea of Time).

If you want more 'hard' Science Fiction, Stephen Baxter is the Daddy - the Phase Space and Xeelee series books are all good.

Other than that - In the last 12 months the best 'standalone' sci fi books have probably been David Brin's Kil'n People (genuinely original for a change) and William Gibson's Pattern Recognition, which isn't really sci fi imho but is still very good, specially if the internet is a big part of your world.

S

SilverHood

Harry Turtledove's "Guns of the South" is an amazing piece of writing

:D

D

DaGaffer

Originally posted by Tenko
Thanks Munkey!

Just downloaded and read 1632 myself today, probably gonna go pick up the sequel from Waterstones tommorrow. :)

If you like 1632/1633 - you should try the 'Islands in the sea of time' trilogy from S.M. Stirling. Similar concept - bunch of Americans end up in the past, but this time it's back to the bronze age.

If you like alternate history in general www.uchronia.net is a great place to search good titles out.

7th

Originally posted by Hot Soup
I Am Legend - richard mathieson

Possibly the single most fantastic book i've ever read

Get a copy :p

7th

C

Cronn

Dark Tower series by Stephen King

Anything by Robert Rankin

S

Sar

Altered Carbon - Richard Morgan. Excellent.

Alastair Reynold's books too - pretty damn good.

O

old.ignus

My favourite books are by Steve Perry or his daughter Stephani Perry. He wrote shadows of the empire for star wars and the better books of the aliens series. She co-wrote the better of the aliens books and the 6 resident evil books which were all very good.

And I'd like to read your sci-fi story Damini, I like to write myself so it'd be good to read something unpublished.

M

Munkey-

Daminis stuff is excellent

(i'm not saying this in the hope of being quoted on her book cover when she gets published....honest)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom