Scanner

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
I have an HP 4750C scanner.

It is shit. You have to install 300megs worth of crap software, several megs of updates and patches, of which the latest dates back to 2004 iirc, and then it still will not work under windows XP (though HP denies this). Googling reveals that Mac users hate it too.

Someone reccomend me a decent, cheap, non-HP scanner please!

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
My father last year got himself an Epson Precision 1250 scanner. Since I installed it i havnt had to go back near it since and its pretty nifty, just like the HP its heavy on the software you install but its easier to install just the driver.

At work we have both a Xerox Workcentre Pro C3545 Colour Photocopier which does network scanning (acts like a photocopier but makes it into a PDF) and a network equiped All-in-one Officejet D145 which has ADF features, and we just do it all across the network.

Some of the newer all-in-ones are coming out with decent scanners and photo quality printers, it might be worthwhile if your current printers going a bit dud to look into an All-in-One printer.

Id be tempted to pick up the Epson Perfection 3490 scanner, its a bit more expensive than some other models but it wont be a dud, its in the similar area as the older Precision 1250 scanner
(link courtesy of dabs.com )

if you want to get cheap you can pick up the canon "LIDE" range, never had to use one so dont know how bloated the drivers are, but its good for scanning documents, theres a Canoscan Lide 25 going for around £40 (another Dabs.com link )

now back to sunning myself outside.

smurkin

Can't get enough of FH
bit off topic, coz its really expensive, not flatbed, small footprint and really meant for documents...I use these:

http://inmac.co.uk/catalogue/item/FUJSCN87

Cant do without it. Pair that with Acrobat Pro. I dont keep paper copies any more. I dont send faxes. :m00: I even submit expenses by putting receipts through it.

TdC

cheers guys. much as I'd like that Epson (it looks the dogs imo), I'm unsure if I can justify it so it's prolly going to be something like the Canon.

I just want to have my poota talk to a scanner without umpteen megs of wierdness standing in the way. I thought drivers were supposed to be tiny :/

Yaka

Part of the furniture
id suggest canon L!DE 500F had it since xmas and its damn good over usb2.0 but on a normal usb port its uber slow and best of all compared to my previos epson scanner it powers from usb port so no power brick needed

TdC

cheers Yaka. that 500f looks tempting, expecially since it requires no powerbrick. kinda handy imo. shade more expensive than the Epson though.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
yeah tis more expensive than similat spec hp and epson models and no power brick thingie clinced it for me and its very slim and light so slides into my my bigger lappy bag as well

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom