Say it aint so!

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
Absence makes the heart grow fonder, i wonder if that's Ninendo's strategy?

Scooba da Bass

Fledgling Freddie
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=pub&aid=2955

Nintendo plans new Cube accessories, reaffirms N5 plans

Rob Fahey 15:38

Although a global game of Chinese Whispers manages to twist that in entertaining ways

A number of statements from Nintendo spokespeople today have confirmed that the platform holder plans to continue supporting the Cube for at least two more years before launching a new console, probably in 2006.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata was quoted in Japanese newspaper Nihon Keizai Shimbun saying that the company will support the GameCube with the launch of new software and innovative peripherals for the next two to three years.

In a statement obviously designed to boost confidence in Nintendo's commitment to its existing console platform, Iwata said that the Cube has by no means reached its full potential and stated his belief that "customers are fully satisfied with the performance of the current model," in hardware terms at least.

Nintendo will continue to develop its next console, which we dubbed "N5" last year, but will continue to focus on the GameCube throughout a full lifespan - right up until around 2006, when the next-generation machines from all three manufacturers are expected to arrive.

There's nothing particularly shocking in anything Iwata said - but Nihon Keizai Shimbun, along with several other news reporting sources, have tagged these statements as effectively an admission from Nintendo that it is somehow pulling out of the next generation console race, or that it has postponed the launch of N5.

Nintendo moved quickly to silence such speculation, with Nintendo Japan spokesperson Yasuhiro Minagawa telling Reuters that "other companies aren't expected to come out with next-generation consoles until late 2005 or 2006, and Nintendo will be launching its next-generation unit around the same time," while NoA's Beth Llewellyn told GameSpot that "we are staying in the hardware business... we're working on our next generation console system and it will launch it at the same time as our competitors."

Nintendo can hardly make its intentions any clearer than that. Iwata-san's comments, the company protests, have been taken out of context both by online news sources (which comes as little surprise) and by Nihon Keizai Shimbun itself (who should really have known better).

Returning to what Iwata-san actually said, rather than what the media seems to have imagined coming from his mouth, the president of the Kyoto-based company stated that first of the "innovative peripherals" he has promised for the GameCube will arrive in 2005, and is described as a "gameplay enchancing" device - which hints at something in the same mindset as Sony's Eye Toy. Details of the peripherals, however, are not expected to be revealed until late this year.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I've missed on the GC even though I've always been with nintendo I joined this generation with the Xbox.

But I do agree that the GC is the only Console left, U can hardly call the Xbox or the PS2 (with its new HD) a console they are more like 4yr old PC's (sry dumber down PC's)

It wil be interesting to see what Nintendo will do next, but one thing for sure they got nothing to worry about in the Handheld Gaming Scene they are the best, providing the perfect balance between Technology and Performance.

N-Gage was supposed to be a threat but look at it now hiding in the shadows.
PSP PS what....

Frizz

Can't get enough of FH
How is the PS2 more-so a PC than the GC?

Sar

Part of the furniture
Think he means the new PSX multimedia device.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
I mean the PS2 moving into Online play, and the inclusion of a HD. Plus PS2 games same with PS1 games were never very fun, they tended to have titles that were univentful for example the FF and MGS series. PC games tend to be more serious they make you think as you play them, its like a good film you end up taking something away with you, for example Deus Ex, 4 of my mates had it including me and we all played through it a completely different way.

I Suppose i'm a Old Skool Gamer with serious games on PC and addictive arcadey games on a Console, for example Console: Goldeneye good and fun, PC: Half-Life very serious left you thinking.

sibanac

Fledgling Freddie
PLightstar said:
I mean the PS2 moving into Online play, and the inclusion of a HD. Plus PS2 games same with PS1 games were never very fun, they tended to have titles that were univentful for example the FF and MGS series. PC games tend to be more serious they make you think as you play them, its like a good film you end up taking something away with you, for example Deus Ex, 4 of my mates had it including me and we all played through it a completely different way.

I Suppose i'm a Old Skool Gamer with serious games on PC and addictive arcadey games on a Console, for example Console: Goldeneye good and fun, PC: Half-Life very serious left you thinking.

lol, The gc would be doing alot better if it had online play, I bought SSX3 and NFS:u fpr ps2 because it supports online play and the GC version doesnt. and i know other people are doing the same.

Your not an old skool gamer unless you played the Elite, civ, Lesure suit larry and all.

PLightstar

Part of the furniture
sibanac said:
Your not an old skool gamer unless you played the Elite, civ, Lesure suit larry and all.

Please, thats only PC Owners, which I didn't get fully involved in till 6yrs ago but Console gaming i've been doin since Atari 2600 and the days of the Master System.

Elite and Civ are for the very old skool not the old skool.

(theres a difference trust me, im a doctor)

Sar

Part of the furniture
sibanac said:
lol, The gc would be doing alot better if it had online play, I bought SSX3 and NFS:u fpr ps2 because it supports online play and the GC version doesnt. and i know other people are doing the same.

Ahh, LSL: Lothario extremis :D

Pity the new one looks shit :/

I remember installing Ecstatica years ago, and recoiling in horror at the ridiculously bloated amount of hd space the install took up - all of 80mbs! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom