Say goodbye to freedom of speech

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
here:

Press Releases - American Jewish Committee

I find this to be a truly horrendous turn of events. This is what the new resolution says, in laymans terms. If a terrorist blows up a bus full of kids and somebody says something about it they are in the wrong.

Absolute cobblers. Religion should never have been a issue allowed to rear it's ugly head in the UN. Granted, it says ALL religions but makes an emphasis on Islam, particularly radical islamic interpretations of the Koran. The hypocrisy is only made worse in the fact the most of the countries who voted for this charter are notorious for not only breaching human rights but harbour, and actively support people who's views and beliefs are violently against any religion but their own.

I also find it curious that China has voted in favour of this resolution, considering their violent suppression of Falun Gong adherants, Tibetan Buddhists and Uighur Muslims. Will the Government of China now stop saying nasty things about the Dalai Lama? I doubt it.

Welcome to the end of civilisation people and we got front row seats.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad

I will say whatever I feel like even if it means that I'll be thrown in jail for it

Olgaline

FH is my second home
And the count down begins to Corkies Post deleation....

10 - 9- 8 - 7 - 6 -

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
I guess I should add that I'm agnostic. I don't believe in any Gods or Goddesses and I think ALL religions are nothing but ways to keep the general population in line. That said I don't have a problem with anyone believing, as long as they don't try to push their beliefs on me.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Quite right too. Though to me this seems to be a good thing on face value it attempts to remove all the bullshit "my religion is better than yours" crap. Totally hypocritical though when as you say the backers are some of the most intolerant around, China, Isreal, Uganda etc.

CorNokZ

Currently a stay at home dad
Why would my post be deleted? We've had huge discussions about the pictures and they've been posted before

Perhabs if I posted a disabled person or something...

Olgaline

FH is my second home
Eh /shrug

call it a hunch, this much I'm guessing will hold true....

Someone will take offence, someone will see a need to report it, a mod will play the "safe" card and remove the pic.

it's just a hunch tho...

gohan

FH is my second home
we dont have freedom of speech anyway....

we only have freedom of speech as long as no1 disagrees or takes offence

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
free speach != fuck em all tbh

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
This world wont progress as long as people still follow religion its a sad truth

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
hmmm yes i see your point, thanks you've changed my thoughts on that one, thanks

noblok

Part of the furniture
I figured I'd use as much argumentation as your original post contained.

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
What so you think that people willing to kill themselves for religion and many battles going on about religion is justified?

Sparx

Cheeky Fucknugget
Oh btw just so you know i'm very willing to get into this debate about religion and riots. I grew up with alot of sectarian riots. The Orange walk went through my town every year and the town was very split. I even went to a Catholic school and left to join a normal school and was chased with stones every day for 3 years cause i wasnt with them anymore.

noblok

Part of the furniture
Sparx said:
What so you think that people willing to kill themselves for religion and many battles going on about religion is justified?
I didn't say that. I just think that the world can progress while some people still follow religion. Religion isn't all about suicde bombers and battles, it has positive effects as well (e.g. compassion is a concept introduced by christianity).

Zede

Part of the furniture
I didn't say that. I just think that the world can progress while some people still follow religion. Religion isn't all about suicde bombers and battles, it has positive effects as well (e.g. compassion is a concept introduced by christianity).

Are you just dumb ? You honestly think compassion was introduced by christianity ? You do know that buddhism & Hinduism predated christianity by at least 1,000 years right ? Of course nobody associated compassion with buddhism do they....

noblok

Part of the furniture
They may have a similar concept, but I'm not entirely convinced it's the same thing. I must admit though that I don't know too much of Buddhism, but going by what I know of it Buddhist compassion is a bit different from Christian compassion.

edit: but feel free to explain the Buddhist concept of compassion to me.

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
So do you really think that people had no compassion for others before organized religion?

I think there was a time when religion was a good thing but that time is over. Atheists have taken all the good things out of religion and left the religious people defending the bad things like hating gay people and so on. And ofcourse, if something is mentioned in the bible that does not mean that its a purely christian thing.

noblok

Part of the furniture
So do you really think that people had no compassion for others before organized religion?

As far as I know there is no mention of it anyway. There's perhaps the stoic concept of filanthropeia, but again: though similar it's not the same thing.

I think there was a time when religion was a good thing but that time is over. Atheists have taken all the good things out of religion and left the religious people defending the bad things like hating gay people and so on. And ofcourse, if something is mentioned in the bible that does not mean that its a purely christian thing.

'Hating gay people' isn't an exclusively religious thing though and it's also opposed to the official roman catholic doctrine (I don't know other religions well enough to say anything about them). I'm not saying all religious people are great, but I think it's a ludicrous statement that the only way for the world to progress is for religion to be erased. At least my life would deteriorate and I don't think I have a massively negative impact on the progress of the world.

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Are you just dumb ? You honestly think compassion was introduced by christianity ? You do know that buddhism & Hinduism predated christianity by at least 1,000 years right ? Of course nobody associated compassion with buddhism do they....
(not quoting you in particular just easiest to grab at the time)
It's also retarded to think that religion is the anti-progression of the world
Almost EVERY aspect of the modern world has been influenced by religion, including all those things like Medicine, Chemistry, Biology, Theology, Law etc... which affect your life in one way or another
Religion was the centerpiece to the modern scientific method and collaboration of knowledge including the cornerstone on which modern maths and science is based (Complex Alegbra)

Or the fact that there are only a handful of wars who's sole/main motivation was religion, not to mention the wars we have fought over "demoracy", lets stop that too if you are going to use the same argument?

Ofc if you want to hate religion its convinient to forget that,

@corknose,
With freedom comes resonsibility, something you are clearly devoid of
It is people like you not the PC crowd that are eroding the freedoms which we have because if you were resonisble enough not to abuse your "freedoms" then there would be no need for control

I also find it hilarious the number of people here who say "i will say what i want, even if it offends and angers others" but were cheering when x cleric is deported for "inciting religious hatred", or the BNP for spouting their drivel in public

And no, the content is of no relevance as you are stopping them saying "whatever they want" regardless of what they have to say

Zede

Part of the furniture
They may have a similar concept, but I'm not entirely convinced it's the same thing. I must admit though that I don't know too much of Buddhism, but going by what I know of it Buddhist compassion is a bit different from Christian compassion.

edit: but feel free to explain the Buddhist concept of compassion to me.

gee, you really are dumb.

Compassion is not a religious concept - why the hell are you blabbering on about it being christian ?

As you have stated in oh...your last 2 posts you dont know to much about some religions..its very stupid of you to come across as a tad arrogant, claming the mere concept of " compassion" is associated with jesus christ & badly attempting to flame bait everyone, when clearly you know fuck all about the subject.

Like Sparx, I would love to debate with you, but you walls have come crashing down already. Take a leaf out of Gorbos book - at least have something to back it up & the intelligence to actually debate it.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Christians are f*ckheads who killed the viking lore and rewrote most of it :(

Though i guess after whisking their housewives away for the 50th time, i'd get a bit ticked off too :p

No i'm not gonna get into this discussion.

Ok, just a bit, with one definitive line;

Problem isn't with beliefs, it's with forcing them on others, atheist or muslim or jew or hindu.

Zede

Part of the furniture
(not quoting you in particular just easiest to grab at the time)
It's also retarded to think that religion is the anti-progression of the world
Almost EVERY aspect of the modern world has been influenced by religion, including all those things like Medicine, Chemistry, Biology, Theology, Law etc... which affect your life in one way or another
Religion was the centerpiece to the modern scientific method and collaboration of knowledge including the cornerstone on which modern maths and science is based (Complex Alegbra)

Or the fact that there are only a handful of wars who's sole/main motivation was religion, not to mention the wars we have fought over "demoracy", lets stop that too if you are going to use the same argument?

Ofc if you want to hate religion its convinient to forget that,

Oh I totally agree. Lets take medicine for example. Due to religion, and religion only nobody in the western world had a clue about the anatomy of the human body from the 2nd C to the 15th. 1400 years of religious dogma stopping the advancement of medicine.

Religion has stifled & destoyed and most of all been used as a poor excuse for imperialism since oh, time began.

yes yes some persians around the..what was it, 8thC invented algebra. The Greeks has more input tbh, but we class them as Pagans dont we :)

Chronictank

FH is my second home
Oh I totally agree. Lets take medicine for example. Due to religion, and religion only nobody in the western world had a clue about the anatomy of the human body from the 2nd C to the 15th. 1400 years of religious dogma stopping the advancement of medicine.
Only? hardly. The reason there was no progress was because certain people in certain places wanted to maintain totalitarian power.
Whether religion was the tool used to promote their ambitions is a mute point because as far as i am aware the bible doesn't forbid the progress of medicine :p, considering a priest/bishop/cardinal/pope is not the embodiement of "christianity" but only a guide for those who follow it (and subsequently being human equally as fallible as anyone else)

Zede

Part of the furniture
Only? hardly. The reason there was no progress was because certain people in certain places wanted to maintain totalitarian power.
Whether religion was the tool used to promote their ambitions is a mute point because as far as i am aware the bible doesn't forbid the progress of medicine :p, considering a priest/bishop/cardinal/pope is not the embodiement of "christianity" but only a guide for those who follow it (and subsequently being human equally as fallible as anyone else)

Men interpreting religious texts to their own advantage over countless centuries ? It never happened, ever.. twas the word of god telling them to act the way they did, I know this for a fact - honest to god I do.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

He didn't say that now did he? :)

People have been killing each other for thousands of years over religion, yet here we are putting people into space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom