save me a trip to citizens advice

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
since starting a new job ive been getting fucked over with regards to wages.

1. they didnt pay me for a shift, and three weeks later i still havent been paid
2. they didnt pay me a bonus amount for buying clothes and dressing up for certain theme nights
3. on examining my pay slips, they are assuming i only work 4.5 hours per night. if they check the time sheets they can plainly see its closer to 5 and above.

so by my calculations im owed over 60 quid, and i feel its going to be a while before i get that.

im none too hot when it comes to employment law, specifically with regards to wages. short of taking them to a tribunal, im unsure what else can back me up on the legal side.

anyone got any ideas? :(

Thadius

Part of the furniture
since starting a new job ive been getting fucked over with regards to wages.

1. they didnt pay me for a shift, and three weeks later i still havent been paid
2. they didnt pay me a bonus amount for buying clothes and dressing up for certain theme nights
3. on examining my pay slips, they are assuming i only work 4.5 hours per night. if they check the time sheets they can plainly see its closer to 5 and above.

so by my calculations im owed over 60 quid, and i feel its going to be a while before i get that.

im none too hot when it comes to employment law, specifically with regards to wages. short of taking them to a tribunal, im unsure what else can back me up on the legal side.

anyone got any ideas? :(

Got your contract handy?

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Are the time sheets signed by your line manager?
Who do you submit them to?

tris-

Are the time sheets signed by your line manager?
Who do you submit them to?

they are signed by someone, who that is i dont know. i also dont know who takes them. basically when you walk into the staff area there is a ring binder which has all the sheets in.

thadius - i dont have any idea where it is, but they kept 3 carbon copies so they must house at least one. i thought it possible to sue for breach of condition, but as its all for 60 quid, im not sure i could be arsed :)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
tbh just get a new job if you get in to all that with them then they can refuse to supply a reference to your future employers (yes they can, its against the law to give a bad one but not against the law not to give one at all) so think is £60- worth it? but really get a new job asap.

and it might be worth just having a nice, polite, calm word with your boss to query this because they might just be able to sort it out then and there before you go doing anything drastic.

tris-

tbh just get a new job if you get in to all that with them then they can refuse to supply a reference to your future employers (yes they can, its against the law to give a bad one but not against the law not to give one at all) so think is £60- worth it? but really get a new job asap.

and it might be worth just having a nice, polite, calm word with your boss to query this because they might just be able to sort it out then and there before you go doing anything drastic.

yes it is worthit, because for me £60 is enough to live on for 2 weeks. i dont care much for people taking the piss. and i have spoken to her, and she showed me on her computer how much i SHOULD of been paid, which leads me to believe her that is the pay roll department being twats.

ive had polite words for 3 weeks now, theres only so many ways you can say the same thing before a "fucking" and "you twats" falls into the equation.

ive also got at least 6 different references to go with, and when i walked out of a job and threw their equipment back at them it didnt affect me in the slightest :p

fuck me ez, you should know me well enough by now to realise i dont let people walk all over me ;)

Ezteq

Queen of OT
well then what are you moaning about, tell them to pissing well pay you or youll take them to court pfft, btw you dont have to go to the citizens advise you can just say you are planning on going and unless they pay you whats owed to you (tbh i really doubt youll be reembursed for buying clothing though becuase its not like you cant wear the stuff when you finished working there) your going to sue their arses, then do that scarey look your doing on your msn display pic, thatll make em cough up asap imo.

tris-

actually we do get reimbursed for clothing, unless she is lieing to me of course which i doubt it, because everyone else has been paid the money :p they are obliged to pay me it.

and chill bitch, sure i could sue them but i want to know what other legal alternatives i have that dont cost me anything initially.. i could sue them for the money, doesnt mean they will pay it though.

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
not sure if we get paid similar to you... but

If I work overtime in January I don't see it until End of Febuary / start of March.

I'd really find as much as you can out over payments and when its due, its a simple enough mistake to make. But you MUST get everything in an email or black and white. Depending on your working relationship with your team leader / manager... have a word with one of them and see if one of them can get an email to HR and ask, someone with a bit of power usually gets the correct answer.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Im sure all girls love being called Bitch...

You dont need to hire Jet Li to kick ass, nor lay down and spread your cheeks.

Say to the person in charge "Hi, its been 3 weeks since when i first came to you with payment issues. The cost of living is never easy and that money would really help me. I am owed this money but I cant keep on waiting as i've got bills to pay".

tris-

Say to the person in charge "Hi, its been 3 weeks since when i first came to you with payment issues. The cost of living is never easy and that money would really help me. I am owed this money but I cant keep on waiting as i've got bills to pay".

which is what ive been doing since the first time it went tits up. it clearly got me no where :p

ive been saying this every week to them ffs, though changed the number of weeks in the statement changed depending on how many weeks it had been.

Case

Fledgling Freddie
So they didn`t pay you some money, you bring this to their attention, nothing happens..

What exactly is their answer to "hi there i am owed this much money for working these hours <shows boss a piece of paper showing number of hours> however haven`t had it yet could you tell me whats happening and when i will get it please?

If you don`t get an answer tell him you need this money urgently now as you`d counted on it when you worked the hours and that you need to speak to whoever can get the answers right now. Don`t give up untill you have an answer even if it`s "your not getting the money get lost" at least then you know where you stand.

In my experience payroll are pretty much just data entry people and would not be the people to help you with this, the buck would stop at whoever signs off your timesheets to ensure they are correct and hence that you are correctly paid.

tris-

the manager keeps saying "right i will sort it, you should have it next week".

next week comes, the same line again. im confident the manager is not at fault, she showed me the sheets she sends to HQ and that sheet shows the right amount of money. its the nuggets at HQ who dont seem to be able to read correctly :\

Bahumat

FH is my second home
If they send it to HQ that means there is a Human Resources person. They usually work from HQ so try and find out who this is.

If you explain the situation to them, they will look into it.

Haggus

Can't get enough of FH
Your enititled to have a look at your contract, you should have been given a copy when you started as you signed this to confirm you work for the company. Also, there is a copy at your work place in your staff folder (ask your manager to see it) if they don't have it it's actually illegal as when the authorities come to inspect the unit or workplace (ours is CMI) you work in they require to see staff folders and data including your working hours.

If you breach your contracted working hours and you havn't signed anything to say you will work more than contracted (offten called an Opt Out) it's a breach of your rights and you can sue the company proving you've worked so many hours and you have hard evidence. Often not worth it... I've signed for 48hours per week and I often do around 55 sometimes I do near 70. (You can become part of a union if you prefer and they will tell you exactly what you need to hear)

Joining a Union costs a few bucks per year I think but I totally recommend it, even if you have the slightest problem you can phone them and they tell you your rights and what can be done about it.

If this genuinly isn't your manageress fault and it's HO (head office) then your pretty screwed as someone said HO are just a few people that sit behind computers all day and 85% of the don't even know about your job. But on the other hand you are intitled to your money as long as you can prove it. If you sign your time sheet at the end of the week clearly stating the hours you worked you should get paid for those hours. If not, ask for a copy of the time sheet (ALOT of company's should keep time sheets for records) and you can either ask your manageress if she will help you fight your case and take it to HO to get your money. If she say's well I don't think thats a good idea threat that you will take it to your union and see legal matters about it. IF you want to take it that far...

tris-

good info there haggus. and yes im pretty certain she isnt in the wrong.

i know i could sue for breach of condition, or at least threaten it and see if that shakes em up a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom