Savage

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Ok most have probably already heard of this game as it seems to have been out in the US since July. But for some reason it had managed to evade my craving for new games to consume until a friend linked me over MSN Messenger today. I've been playing the demo since about lunch time and putting all gameplay aside, it is the best demo that I've played since BF1942. In fact I think they might have gone a bit far with the demo as it seems to contain about 50% of the full game which is nice for leechers like me, but if you don't like the demo then I suppose you won't like the full game much more.

Gameplay is similar to Natural Selection but the similarity ends there and I haven't found myself reminded of NS while playing it so far. Not sure which one went into to development first but the FPS/RTS hybrid genre has been talked about for ages with TFC2 so I don't think it's an issue really. You get one commander per team who is playing a classic RTS, placing buildings, making NPC workers and giving out orders. The rest of the team is playing an FPS but occasionally you'll need to help build things or do mining which you can do just by hitting things with your axe. Combat is primarily hand-to-hand because most early-game ranged weapons are pretty weak in comparison. I quite like the hand-to-hand combat because it takes a fair bit of skill to become proficient at it, but you can get lucky and get kills by just charging in and jumping around clicking the mouse button.

Well I've said enough, don't want to write a review for a game that has been out 6 months. But I'm sure some others haven't heard of it as it seems to have been keeping a low profile which is a shame because it's a great demo. Just be prepared to get called a noob every 5 seconds, even better just ignore the chat window altogether because as with all free games the average age is pretty low.

Main site

Clown

Part of the furniture
Hello Cask!

Have you actually played this demo or you gonna give up like on that Time of Defiance thing :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
btw cask, which ns servers do you play on? You can normally find me running around, alias "Tom."

Usually I play on YO clan's server, or Medpack! (24 player).

Padwah

Fledgling Freddie
To be honest the demo is the best bit, I got the full game through work and there's just not enough variety :( Though I've been speaking to some of the guys behind the game and the reckon there's more good stuff coming :D

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Haven't played NS for a few months now due to being extremely rubbish at it :( I think you should definitely give Savage a try if you still play NS Tom. Nice outdoorsy maps would be a nice change from those crappy NS spacestation tilesets :/

Clown, stop ruining my threads!

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
Decided to buy it for $30 but regret it a little now. There are only 5-6 euro servers for it and only 1 or 2 of those will have enough people on for a game. Also the whining is pretty incredible. In the space of one game a couple of noisy whiners moaned about:

The commander being a noob
The team being noobs
The other team cheating
Americans playing on european servers
Lag
And the game being unbalanced

Also heard a lot of whining about an overdue patch and then more whining about lack of servers. But I find it all weird because what I've played I have really enjoyed it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I just tried it, wasn't really impressed. Even less impressed with the lack of uninstall option.

Whipped

Part of the furniture
Bloody hell you're right. Nothing in Add/Remove programs either.

It looked ok, but I'm still not sold on giving one player so much power in a game.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
im quite savage whern someone trys to drag me away from a sausage 'n bacon sarnie with brown sauce...

NOBODY gets near it :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom