Confused Satire must end now

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I get what they're saying, but calling it "racist" is just silly.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
You know you've fucked up when even the comments section of the Graun takes the piss.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Fantastic way to take an important (if worryingly close to supremacist) cause from the US, and render it utterly meaningless over here.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Probably the SWP re-badged again. Which would explain why they were all white.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
They were all white as well, smacks of the militant arm of the Bristol Uni guilt party.

They are sorta right, in the way that black people tend to live in cheaper housing nearer pollution
, but of course some of the most expensive real estate in the world is bang in the middle of smog...
More worrying is a gang of idiots managed to beat the security in a blow up boat.

How on Earth can the link in that article claim we are the biggest contributers per capita because of historic coal use, how far back are these people going?
Carbon doesn't just build up continually..it er..gets used up, you have to keep pouring it out to keep level high, if all co2 was to stop tomorrow, as in every source, it would be gone in 5 years.

Last edited:

Bodhi

Yeah think you've got that last bit a bit wrong.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
How on Earth can the link in that article claim we are the biggest contributers per capita because of historic coal use, how far back are these people going?
Carbon doesn't just build up continually..it er..gets used up, you have to keep pouring it out to keep level high, if all co2 was to stop tomorrow, as in every source, it would be gone in 5 years.

No it wouldn't. That's actually the problem; we're probably already past the point where remediation over timelines of less than a century is even possible. The world is going to warm up no matter what at this stage. That doesn't mean we should just give up and make it even worse, but it should probably give us a clue about where to spend our money, which is on coping with extreme weather and rising seas.

As for the historic emissions thing; yeah, how dare those white guys in top hats go around creating an industrial revolution without a by-your-leave? Their pollution is shortening our lifespan! Alright it doubled our lifespan in first place, but still. Bastards.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
I think it can be summarised thusly.

Spoiled rich kids get angry over twitter, desperate to feel included in their ever shrinking world they decide to latch on to a very unique situation in America that bears no similarities to the UK but whatevz. They then decide to make fools of themselves disrupting the day for lots of people that have absolutely nothing at all to do with the issue they think exists (even though it doesn't here, at all) in a place that provides thousands of jobs to the local community.

I am not at all sure what their point even is, let alone the places they have decided to piss about with, a motorway, an airport...what?!

The earths tilt is racist and so is the sun, fucking equatorial bullshit, it wouldn't do it to white people! JE SUEZ OUTRAGED!

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I think it can be summarised thusly.

Spoiled rich kids get angry over twitter, desperate to feel included in their ever shrinking world they decide to latch on to a very unique situation in America that bears no similarities to the UK but whatevz. They then decide to make fools of themselves disrupting the day for lots of people that have absolutely nothing at all to do with the issue they think exists (even though it doesn't here, at all) in a place that provides thousands of jobs to the local community.

I am not at all sure what their point even is, let alone the places they have decided to piss about with, a motorway, an airport...what?!

The earths tilt is racist and so is the sun, fucking equatorial bullshit, it wouldn't do it to white people! JE SUEZ OUTRAGED!
The article is incoherent. And unintentionally funny. It's really pissing on the whole cause.

Job

Yeah think you've got that last bit a bit wrong.
Well its a cycle, so theoretically removing the input would do it, just saying co2 lasts about 5 years in the atmosphere before being absorbed...of course you cant really break a cycle without breaking all of it...just an exampke.

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Um. Job, CO2 is a gas that makes up part of the earth's atmosphere. It's known cycle ranges generally between 150 and 7000 PPM. Since the industrial revolution, hence the reference in posts above, the concentration in the atmosphere has increased by 40%. so, instead of increasing gradually over millions of years like it normally cycles, it has increased dramatically within a couple hundred years. There is a vast difference in magnitude between 1000000's and 100's just in case you don't know this.

Bodhi

Um. Job, CO2 is a gas that makes up part of the earth's atmosphere. It's known cycle ranges generally between 150 and 7000 PPM. Since the industrial revolution, hence the reference in posts above, the concentration in the atmosphere has increased by 40%. so, instead of increasing gradually over millions of years like it normally cycles, it has increased dramatically within a couple hundred years. There is a vast difference in magnitude between 1000000's and 100's just in case you don't know this.

Agree with the first part, not the second. Looking at Ice Core records taken by the British Antarctic Survey, there have been many occasions in the past when CO2 levels have shot up rapidly - normally just after an increase in temperature, not before.

003.jpg

The current "warming" is also fairly pathetic, historically speaking. We're currently getting into a tizz about a 1 degree increase over 150 years, when ice cores sampled from Greenland have showed an increase of 10 degrees in just 40 years in the last interglacial.

Another thing to consider, is that before the Industrial Revolution, we were getting scarily close to the lower Co2 limit - 150 PPM. Below this plant life really does begin to struggle, and if we hadn't dug up all the dinos and burnt them to create civilisation as we know it, we may have been facing a completely different problem (and a real one at that).

From reading around the subject, and talking to a couple of professors, the Climate is a massively chaotic system, with lots of inputs we don't truly understand as yet - probably why not a single computer model used to predict DOOOOOOOOOOM has either been able to predict the present or correlate with temperature records of the past. Personally, given the Earth's history, I'd be a bit more concerned if it stayed the same.

Doesn't mean Job isn't talking shite however.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Hugely suspicious about that graph. The scale suggests that it's been hella warm for 20,000 years up until present. Twenty thousand years...

Source?

Job

I was referring to the life cycle of co2, if we stopped belching it out, it would take 5 years to drop back to 'normal' levels.
Blaming Britain for emissions from the 1800s is a bit much, we wouldn't have had the slightest effect.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Hugely suspicious about that graph. The scale suggests that it's been hella warm for 20,000 years up until present. Twenty thousand years...

Source?
Aboutsi ce the last iceage?

Zarjazz

Identifies as a horologist.

Well, he couldn't last forever ...

ice age.jpg

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Well, he couldn't last forever...
Yeah. Just graphs like that strike me as funny when provided as proof when it looks like they show it's been this warm for about twice the length of time that humans have been farming...

Bodhi

It strikes me as far more funny when someone asks for a source when it's stated 2 lines before the graph....

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
Agree with the first part, not the second. Looking at Ice Core records taken by the British Antarctic Survey, there have been many occasions in the past when CO2 levels have shot up rapidly - normally just after an increase in temperature, not before.

003.jpg

The current "warming" is also fairly pathetic, historically speaking. We're currently getting into a tizz about a 1 degree increase over 150 years, when ice cores sampled from Greenland have showed an increase of 10 degrees in just 40 years in the last interglacial.

Another thing to consider, is that before the Industrial Revolution, we were getting scarily close to the lower Co2 limit - 150 PPM. Below this plant life really does begin to struggle, and if we hadn't dug up all the dinos and burnt them to create civilisation as we know it, we may have been facing a completely different problem (and a real one at that).

From reading around the subject, and talking to a couple of professors, the Climate is a massively chaotic system, with lots of inputs we don't truly understand as yet - probably why not a single computer model used to predict DOOOOOOOOOOM has either been able to predict the present or correlate with temperature records of the past. Personally, given the Earth's history, I'd be a bit more concerned if it stayed the same.

Doesn't mean Job isn't talking shite however.

to be fair, 40% can be small in real numbers. it's not the literal amount, it's the growth rate that is disturbing.

old.user4556

Has a sexy sister. I am also a Bodhi wannabee.
There's one simple thing (reflected in that graph) that I still don't understand - there was a time when the earth was ice free and there was a time where kilometre thick ice sheets covered Scotland. Why are we getting so bent out of shape on coming out of the last ice age towards a time when sea levels are going to increase and ice sheets will recede?

Throw in corrupt self serving governments and big business into the mix and it's no wonder there are climate change sceptics.

Job

There are climate change sceptics like me because it is mind numbingly difficult to model, they find new effects on a weekly basis, a good percentage is a guess.
The 'dark matter' version for climate modelling is that 50% of co2 just dissapears somewhere, and no one has a clue where.
The clouds input is little understood, at every turn they find something that totally alters the game, like the tree aerosol findings a few months back.
Every utterly ridiculous modelling result gets buried, the few they get right come nowhere close to coincidence.
If we look back 20 years, the predictions of the time should have us at 2 degrees warming, no Artic, Antartica dry land and 20ft sea rise.
Malaria all over Europe, hundreds of millions dead in Africa and no fresh water south of Spain.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
There's one simple thing (reflected in that graph) that I still don't understand - there was a time when the earth was ice free and there was a time where kilometre thick ice sheets covered Scotland. Why are we getting so bent out of shape on coming out of the last ice age towards a time when sea levels are going to increase and ice sheets will recede?

Throw in corrupt self serving governments and big business into the mix and it's no wonder there are climate change sceptics.

Speed. You're absolutely correct that there will be periods of high C02 anyway, and its happened before; but we're speeding up the process which affects the ability of the ecosystem to respond; in other words the things we eat. And while there have also been plenty of diebacks and mass extinctions, do we really want to be in the middle of one and the cause of it?

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber

$$$

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
It strikes me as far more funny when someone asks for a source when it's stated 2 lines before the graph....
Could it have been the british antarctic survey by any slight chance?

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

Cause we have built so near to the oceans and lots will go under water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom