Satilite Broadband ?

Punishment

Resident Freddy

Is it any good for gaming ?

I wont be able to get dsl/cable in my area for 3 months or so and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with it ?

Atm i game 6 days out of 7 on a 56kbps modem that only gives 31.2kbps as of late ... is ok at time but can be unstable and group rvr/ml bg's are a big nono ... so even with 4-5 times better speed id be happy for awhile .

Anyone have any advice ?o0

eble

Fledgling Freddie
Sorry to say mate but its not the way to go for gaming.

In most cases you will still have a land line for the up-stream which causes lag.

Downstrean isn't a problem.

Unless you got a very expensive up/down system I would steer clear of it and wait out your 3 months for DSL.

Eble

Hawkwind

FH is my second home
It's obviosly gonna be crap, the bounce time (latency for the transmission from ground station to ground station via the satellite) for the downstream service will make it unplayable. Seriously, anything above 300 mS ping to game server is gonna be pretty crap. Less than 200 mS is playable on MMORG's but big disadvantage of FPS games.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Hawkwind said:
It's obviosly gonna be crap, the bounce time (latency for the transmission from ground station to ground station via the satellite) for the downstream service will make it unplayable. Seriously, anything above 300 mS ping to game server is gonna be pretty crap. Less than 200 mS is playable on MMORG's but big disadvantage of FPS games.

Well 31.2kbps sux and i want to be able to run a 2nd acc ... with 1meg option from these guys i reckon it will be atleast 10x better than current when all is considered ... not all can get dsl u know :(

http://www.crosscountrybroadband.com/home.html

Neffneff

Fledgling Freddie
As far as price is concerned let us make a like for like comparison. Let us assume that at the moment you are paying something in the order of 50 euro per month for your internet useage. Our broadband service will be ,on average, 20 times faster than your existing dial up therefore, using broadband you will only incur a cost of 2.50 euro for the exact same amount of surfing and download. You will therefore save 47.50 euro by using broadband and this will more than cover for the costs involved.

ROFLCOPTER!!!!

that website has really made me giggle, thanks punish mate!

as a side note, dont bother, its waay too expensive, and it wont do a good job with DAoC.

Ingafgrinn Macabre

Can't get enough of FH
Punishment said:
Well 31.2kbps sux and i want to be able to run a 2nd acc ... with 1meg option from these guys i reckon it will be atleast 10x better than current when all is considered ... not all can get dsl u know :(

http://www.crosscountrybroadband.com/home.html
Roundtime of the signal from your dish (or centrally positioned dish) to the sattelite, back to the hub on the ground, to the gameserver, back to the hub, up to the satellite and back to your dish is atleast something like 1½ ~ 2 seconds. That's the minimum lag you'll experience.

Sigwyen

Fledgling Freddie
Well u guys should give advices not just be saying ... its crap dont do it etc ... concider hes on a modem for crying out load .... nothing beats that :)

But its a costly affair and if u do deside to go on with it as described dont expect alot regarding ur game performance..

Personally i would stick with the modem .... due to the fact of price / performance expectations.

/Mirk

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Sigwyen said:
Well u guys should give advices not just be saying ... its crap dont do it etc ... concider hes on a modem for crying out load .... nothing beats that :)

There are two main factors on a connection, bandwidth (how much data you can send/recieve), and latency (how fast it gets to the destination).

A modem, whilst it has low bandwidth, doesn't necessarily (depends on ISP) have poor latency.

A satellite link can have good bandwidth, but has very poor latency.

When you notice occasional network lag in Camelot it's usually lost packets, but when you have constant 1-2 sec lag, it's usually very poor latency.

It's why a modem connection is often very playable in small scale stuff in Camelot (good latency, and the small camelot packets don't hit the bandwidth problems), but gets bad in large scale stuff (the bandwidth limitation).

It MAY be worth trying trials of other dial up ISPs, to see if they have lower latency or higher bandwidth.

Darzil

Gamah

Banned
Punishment said:

Is it any good for gaming ?

I wont be able to get dsl/cable in my area for 3 months or so and was wondering if anyone has had any experiences with it ?

Atm i game 6 days out of 7 on a 56kbps modem that only gives 31.2kbps as of late ... is ok at time but can be unstable and group rvr/ml bg's are a big nono ... so even with 4-5 times better speed id be happy for awhile .

Anyone have any advice ?o0

WOW, I could never, ever, ever, EVER go back to a modem, /hugs 8mb soon to be 24mbps dsl :(

Eithor

Fledgling Freddie
I got 3G mobile connection now, for a while more.
It's a 0,384 mbits connection. Sux compared to adsl or such, sux for fps games. But quite decent for daoc and wow and other mmorpgs.

It's one and same cost each month, no matter for how long i'm online, or the amount of Mb i down/up-load. It's overall better than dial-up (56k), about 7-8 times faster download. Some slight latency in daoc though, but it's not that much of a problem (and not close to how crappy it would be with a satellite connection).

I'm surprised in a good way, of how good it work out :) .

Naffets

Can't get enough of FH
Try getting a decent hard modem rather than a soft modem to improve connection speed. You can get...erm...finite cores? to reduce static on your line aswell

Cant remember the proper name as ive not touched dialup in years.

Had broadband for 5 years now :)

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Naffets said:
Try getting a decent hard modem rather than a soft modem to improve connection speed. You can get...erm...finite cores? to reduce static on your line aswell

Cant remember the proper name as ive not touched dialup in years.

Had broadband for 5 years now :)

Yea been thinkling about that ... will prolly get a decent external modem to hopefully cap out 56k (unless lines in my area are knackered) and upgrade old pc+new pc and hold out for dsl :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom