SATA Problems

Clown

Part of the furniture
I can't install the 3rd party drivers when I'm installing Win2K.
It just wont work. That, and I'm not even sure I have them.
I press F6 and then it rolls a bit, then I press S or whatever it was to install drivers. I was gonna put my motherboard CD in to see if that worked, but it came up with some F:\nt\something something error :/

Can I get around this crap by installing Windows on an IDE drive, then installing the SATA drivers and getting the SATA drive working on the Windows thats on the IDE drive. And then installing Windows on the SATA drive?

I dunno :(

Krazeh

Part of the furniture
You need to put the sata drivers on a floppy and use that, you can't do it from the motherboard cd. Either that or slipstream them into a win2k install cd.

Clown

Part of the furniture
I would but I don't know how. BUt even so, it gave me an error before I could put a floppy in or swap CDs.

An unexpected error occurred something something.

Quige

Fledgling Freddie
Does it just flash up the message too quick to read and then reboot?
If you could write the exact error messages down it might help to get an better idea of what's going on.

If you have a working PC to hand, then you should just need to format a floppy and then copy the drivers files for your OS from the CD to the floppy - it doesn't have to be bootable, or anything. It's usually pretty easy to find the drivers on the cd through Explorer/My Computer ... they're not trying to hide them from you after all :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Clown, you have a b0rked windows cd. Get a legit copy, and it will work.

Clown

Part of the furniture
It works with IDE drives... I'll try cleaning it :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I tried installing mine with that copy of windows xp that also contains office xp, and it didn't work. Get an unmodified windows disc, and it should be fine.

Cask

Fledgling Freddie
I got my chair today though! But they didn't send me the easter hamper thing :(

Clown

Part of the furniture
What about if I got a random IDE hard drive, made a clean install of Windows on it, then cloned it to the SATA drive. Would Windows boot from that if i removed the IDE drive?

Quige

Fledgling Freddie
My initial thought was probably not, but it may do ... partly it would depend on how the boot.ini references sata drives - I've never had one, so not sure if it would be the same as normal ide which is referenced like this;

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Also the partition itself would probably not be marked as active, so you might need to deal with that before taking out the IDE drive.

But if you can get round that sort of thing I guess that since the Windows would have the drivers pre-loaded it should recognise the drive I guess. There is a paper somewhere on Microsoft's site detailing how to prepare a copy of Windows having it's disk moved to a mother board with a different IDE controller chipset, which is essentially all about making sure the drivers are already on there. It's fairly similar situation to moving from the IDE controller to the sata controller I guess.

Have a look at this page;

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/install/other/motherboard/problems.htm

IBD Solution 5: seems roughly analogous to what you are thinking about.

There's also this;
How to move a Windows 2000 installation to different hardware that may offer some useful tips, even though it is aimed at W2K
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;249694

Good luck if you try it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The big flaw with that plan is that your SATA drive will most likely install itself as E:\

Quige

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
The big flaw with that plan is that your SATA drive will most likely install itself as E:\
Even if you removed the IDE drive and disabled the standard IDE controller in the BIOS, leaving only the SATA controller enabled? Surely the first physical hdd is always automatically allocated the C drive. Even if at worst you then had to do some sort of repair installation at least the SATA drivers would be known to Windows etc.,

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Quige said:
Even if you removed the IDE drive and disabled the standard IDE controller in the BIOS, leaving only the SATA controller enabled? Surely the first physical hdd is always automatically allocated the C drive. Even if at worst you then had to do some sort of repair installation at least the SATA drivers would be known to Windows etc.,

In my system, regardless of what devices I connect, the SATA drive is always E:\

I have a SCSIuw card with a cdrom attached, which resides on D:\. Unplugging the lot made no difference to the position of the SATA drive. I also have an ide cdrom, that sits on F:\. Even now, when I plug my digital camera into the usb, the sony memorystick drive comes up as C:\

I have an Asus a7n8x deluxe, rev 2.

my%20computer.jpg

Quige

Fledgling Freddie
Wow, that's pretty whacky.
Pretty much all our servers are SCSI only, and they never have a problem with being the C drive. I assumed the same would be true if there were only SATA drives in a system. And if Clown had done a true disk to disk clone, if it could be C:\ and windows said it was C:\ then it would be. If SATA drives are notated differently to ATA in boot.ini, as SCSI drives are, then Windows may not have been able to start then. Is your SATA connected via an add-in card in a PCI slot, or directly onto the motherboard ... I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the specs of that board.

I think creating the slipstream CD seems the best bet though. I remember reading that thread now I've looked at it again, thought to do it, but never got round to it, forgot about it.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
The controller is built into the motherboard.

All Clown needs to do is get himself a bog standard windows xp disc, stick the drivers on a floppy, and hit F6 while installing.

Quige

Fledgling Freddie
I wasn't sure if he had broadband to "find" a copy/iso if he's not going to go out and buy one :)

Clown

Part of the furniture
I have broadband, but I can't find a copy :)
Thanks for that thread Meg, I'll check it out when I get home.

Ardrias

Fledgling Freddie
Installed a SATA disk in a brand new PC and it came up as C: so that was no problem.

Clown

Part of the furniture
Broken trackers and no seeds doesn't help :)

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Tom said:
In my system, regardless of what devices I connect, the SATA drive is always E:\

I have a SCSIuw card with a cdrom attached, which resides on D:\. Unplugging the lot made no difference to the position of the SATA drive. I also have an ide cdrom, that sits on F:\. Even now, when I plug my digital camera into the usb, the sony memorystick drive comes up as C:\
That's odd, my SATA comes up as C: - I only have the DVD drive on the normal IDE. Generally whatever your boot partition is will come up as C: regardless of controller, unless you've already booted with it on a different drive letter. Once a drive has a drive letter it won't change automatically unless you reinstall windows.

Clown

Part of the furniture
My SATA drive comes up as C:\ too :D

I got it working with my Windows 2000 disk. I just edited the drivers a bit... Dunno why that made them load though. I'll go through it more in detail (if you want me to) when I get home.

Now I can put the case back on my computer \o/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom