Samsung Telly Aggro

throdgrain

FH is my second home
This is a bit of a long shot, but you never know ...

I bought a soundbar thingy this weekend. It's a Samsung HW-E350. I've tried connecting it to my TV, which is also pretty new, a Samsung UE40ES5500. I really like the TV, it's got a great picture for the money. Anyway, no matter what I do, I can't get any sound from the TV out of the soundbar.

I have tried all the options I can think of, the basic cable, the HDMI cables, but nothing. I think the TV, despite it's newness, doesn't use ARC, but all the same with all these different options surely SOMETHING must work!

Anyone got any ideas? Or is better at Googling than me?

Yaka

Part of the furniture
u sure your sat/cable/freview etc box is connected to hdmi in on the sound bar and and hdmi out is going directly to tv? also the bar is also plugged into the wall usnt it? press input mode and make sure its on hdmi also hammer the audio volume button it might either be set to 0 ore mute.

if you hjave tried eveything

it could be a dead unit plug a usb stick in see if it works or use you phone/mp3 player/lappy with aux connextion and see if you hear owt

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Explain the way it's all connected, so we can troubleshoot it.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Are you putting it between the TV and the box and using both the HDMI in and the out? If you're doing that (and they are the right way round - in from the box and out to the TV) then, if it's passing the sound to the TV speaker, something's not right on the soundbar I guess...

I don't see how you are supposed to connect more than one HDMI device to the soundbar... I have the UE55C6000 with the HW-C450 (no HDMI, just optical inputs) soundbar and it was just a case of using the optical input and making sure the option is set on the TV to use the external (rather than the TV) speaker.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
Are you putting it between the TV and the box and using both the HDMI in and the out? If you're doing that (and they are the right way round - in from the box and out to the TV) then, if it's passing the sound to the TV speaker, something's not right on the soundbar I guess...

I don't see how you are supposed to connect more than one HDMI device to the soundbar... I have the UE55C6000 with the HW-C450 (no HDMI, just optical inputs) soundbar and it was just a case of using the optical input and making sure the option is set on the TV to use the external (rather than the TV) speaker.

Does that work with Blu-Ray? I thought you had to use HDMI or the sound wouldn't work.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Well it's odd, the TV manual says to use an optical cable to connect, but the soundbar manual says use either HDMI or the regular cable. Indeed, I can't see that the soundbar HAS an opticle input or I'd try it.

I've cut out everything not necessary, just a connection from the TV to the soundbar (no Bluray in the equation at this point) and when I turn the soundbar on the sound from the telly stops, so something must be ok ... I've also turned the setting on the TV to external speakers as well, but to no avail.

I found this thread - http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/1660371-samsung-hw-e450-connected-samsung-ue40es5500.html which is very similar but it doesnt tell me how he resolved it !

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
From the linked AVFORUMS thread it seems that you need to find the ARC output HDMI on the TV and make sure thats one that goes into the sound bar then go into the TV setup and find the speakers option and cycle through its options until one works.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Exactly folks. Various calls to Samsung confirm that the TV has an optical cable connector, and the soundbar has an HDMI connector, but no optical. And the TV has no ARC.

So, they are fucking incompatible. Both new, yet don't work together. Well done Samsung.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Yeah I took it back, got an Orbit soundbar (that I have never heard of) installed in 5 minutes, sounds pretty good and it plays my Ipod too. Job's a good 'un.

(Not you Job :p )

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
The e450 has optical output, you can get the sound from the BDD from the hdmi, but the TV needs the optical

soze

I am a FH squatter
From my fun and games at Christmas with my TV and getting it working with my new headphones it needed to be optical for 3.5mil jack. And the 3.5mil jack needed to be turned on in options. You had to specify the Audio Device as External. It was madness and took me ages and about £30 of optical to rca style devices to get it working.

throdgrain

FH is my second home
The e450 has optical output, you can get the sound from the BDD from the hdmi, but the TV needs the optical

Yeah but this was a 350 ;)

The new one connected in five minutes , much better.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Yeah but this was a 350 ;)

The new one connected in five minutes , much better.

Sorry, yes i know you said you had the 350, i was saying i knew the 450 had optical, as a friend had the same problem and i went into the shop to ask why

Glas you're all sorted

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Sorry, yes i know you said you had the 350, i was saying i knew the 450 had optical, as a friend had the same problem and i went into the shop to ask why

Glas you're all sorted

Fair play mate :)

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
Does that work with Blu-Ray? I thought you had to use HDMI or the sound wouldn't work.
Are you talking HDCP? The BluRay player is connected via HDMI to the TV and the optical is coming from the TV to the soundbar so it plays anything and everything, but just sends the audio to the soundbar rather than the frankly crappy TV speakers.

And what a difference it makes. I was lying earlier; I actually have the HW-D451, with the sub (I knew it had 45 in the model number). It's obviously nowhere near a proper surround system (it just pretends to do surround with its "3d sound" and tbh I can't notice a difference, even when standing directly in front of it) or probably a decent 2.1 setup but, compared to the TV's speakers, it's world apart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom