TV Samsung Smart tv

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Just got a sammy SMART TV for the bedroom, and its great, only problem is that I can't stream MP4's to it, the tv won't see them. Is there a way to do this?

Or do I have to convert the MP4's to AVI

Cheers

Edmond

Yes it does, but the PS3 is downstairs on the main TV, which I use a lot. But this is using the inbuilt Samsung media utility

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Evil Cow means install PS3 media streamer on the PC you want to stream from and then your TV *should* pick it up and then jobs a good 'un.

I think you want to play them from a USB device though so that may not be any help to you. Convert them Ed, probably the only way, the TV will have a limited amount of files it will play. Alternatively buy a media player.

Edmond

Hmmm, the Pc has ps3 media server on all the time, surely it needs a ps3 at the other end to see the ps3 server?

I'm not using a stick, I'm networked direct to the pc from the TV, but it won't see the ps3 server. So maybe converting them, or downloading avi's instead of mp4's

Only problem is the TV shows now all seem to be mp4's and not avi's

soze

I am a FH squatter
My Samsung has an option to download Plex, if you then install the media server on your storage PC it gives you a Libary and Transcodes for you. Could be worth a look.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Hmmm, the Pc has ps3 media server on all the time, surely it needs a ps3 at the other end to see the ps3 server?
I'm not using a stick, I'm networked direct to the pc from the TV, but it won't see the ps3 server. So maybe converting them, or downloading avi's instead of mp4's
Only problem is the TV shows now all seem to be mp4's and not avi's

Ps3 media server is a dlna server, you don't need a ps3 - it will stream to xbox 360, or any other device that is dlna compatible ( like your samsung tv ).

Edmond

My Samsung has an option to download Plex, if you then install the media server on your storage PC it gives you a Libary and Transcodes for you. Could be worth a look.

I'll give that a try too

Ps3 media server is a dlna server, you don't need a ps3 - it will stream to xbox 360, or any other device that is dlna compatible ( like your samsung tv ).

Why won't the TV see it, it only sees the PCM?

I'll have to investigate the menus, I'm obviously not seeing something

Thanks guys

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Not sure, I have a samsung smart tv and I just mash the Media P button on the remote and it sees ps3m no problems.

Have you updated? Latest version is 1.7.0.1

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
I have a Samsung as well, not got a problem watching MP4s. Having said that, the dlna is a bit flaky (doesn't always pick up recently added files), and the way the telly displays files is clunky so I've nailed a Raspberry Pi to the back of the telly and use XBMC (OpenElec) instead.

Poag

m00?
I'll give that a try too

Why won't the TV see it, it only sees the PCM?

I'll have to investigate the menus, I'm obviously not seeing something

Thanks guys
Plex media server is great. I have it on 3 TVs in my current house. Serving from a 2009 mac mini over wifi without issue.

It sometimes reports "Could not connect to PMS" (haha!) but if you try the action again it will work 99% of the time.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
What's your setup Ed, is the PC you've got the files on a full blown desktop box or is it a headless server?

If server Serviio > PS3MediaServer

Plex is great but doesn't run on FreeBSD (boo)

Edmond

It's my main PC, which I have a network cable direct into th TV, it sees other files, but won't see MP4's

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
It's my main PC, which I have a network cable direct into th TV, it sees other files, but won't see MP4's
Do what I told Rich to do, buy a Mac Mini and Apple remote, chuck it under TV, stream media from that or from somewhere else using XBMC, Airplay and never worry about all this shit again.

Invest in HTPCs, it's the only way to be sure :p (Hassle free and it just rocks!)

soze

I am a FH squatter
Do what I told Rich to do, buy a Mac Mini and Apple remote, chuck it under TV, stream media from that or from somewhere else using XBMC, Airplay and never worry about all this shit again.

Invest in HTPCs, it's the only way to be sure :p (Hassle free and it just rocks!)
Now I have come to terms with Raspberry Pi being too under powered to get the job done I have been thinking about either a Mac Mini or a Zotac Nano xs ad11 plus> I want something with the guts to run XBMC smoothly and turn on and off from the remote.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Now I have come to terms with Raspberry Pi being too under powered to get the job done I have been thinking about either a Mac Mini or a Zotac Nano xs ad11 plus> I want something with the guts to run XBMC smoothly and turn on and off from the remote.
Look at the Mac Mini (BSD) or the AsRock Core HD 252b (Windows maybe). I have both and love them. The Asrock is here due to the Mac Mini not doing true bitstreaming.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Get what job done exactly? My RPi plays everything thrown at it (including 1080 mkv files). OpenELEC runs XBMC smoothly as well.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Get what job done exactly? My RPi plays everything thrown at it (including 1080 mkv files). OpenELEC runs XBMC smoothly as well.
No matter what version I run RaspBMC or OpenELEC as soon as I introduce my library things go wrong. It takes over 5 minutes to do a library update that take my Revo seconds. The when it finally does the update browsing the library is so slow that i can turn my Revo on and use that. The RPi is now my roaming media server and i use it to browse the data files without storing the library.

So it does not fill my needs unfortunately.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Sounds like a config issue mate, my first scan only took a few minutes and the updates take seconds.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I don't believe it is a config issue I have tried numerous builds I have used SMB and NFS shares I have used a shared library and it imports fine up to a certain point then it is a dog. for your scan to go that quick your libarary might be a lot smaller than mine as even on the Revo a fresh scan of my Library takes hours (which i think is the speed from downloading the info from the scrapers).

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Well without wanting to post specifics on the net my library hits in at over a TB in size mate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom