Help Samsung Laptop

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
Anyone got any advise on this?? or a decent laptop for around £400

Please...pretty please, thx

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Build quality is better on a lenovo, having bought 2 HP laptops in the past 3 years I can say that they aren't as durable.

Raven

Happy Shopper Ray Mears
FH Subscriber
Brother in-law has a Samsung laptop, seems happy enough with it.

soze

I am a FH squatter
I had a Samsung that went back 5 times. each time I lost it for over 10 days. That has put me off them as it was the same problem 5 times. So Lenovo units come with 3 year onsite warranty packs they are solid and that warranty makes it a no brainer. Well worth looking out for. The Warranty is the big thing for me anyone with a on site warranty is a big plus over a collect and return warranty. Based on Laptops shipped through work which come back my ranking would be
Lenovo
HP
Sony
Toshiba
Dell
Acer
Early Learning Center
ASUS

ASUS way down the list as they managed to ship big orders with components missing. Finding out you shipped 500 laptops to site with no memory makes you look a prize cunt.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
HP 2nd place? I'll have what you're smoking. They are mostly crap, poor build quality and low reliability.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Numbers do not support that. We monitor every laptop we ship and during the DOA period where the Laptop is returned via us they are the 2nd best. That is only laptops that go out though us but of the 30k we sold April 11 - April 12 we had under 1% DOA.

Basing it over a whole warranty is much harder as some people will go to HP directly so we will not know they have gone wrong.

And HP also get a plus point for onsite warranty on some models. Telling a user they need to take a full backup of their dead laptop before sending it away because Sony will wipe it is never a good conversation.

old.Osy

EliteBook 8460p for example. We ordered a sample of 20 pcs - the model had become the new organization wide hardware standard around 2 years ago. Out of the 20, 5 would not start at all, 2 bluescreened. Overtime, the little lamp by the webcam just breaks down, the keyboard is simply horrid in usage and it breaks easily.

The followup model, 8470p is plagued by the same woes.

The lightweight model, 2560p is somewhat better, but suffers from overheating.

Dells were the best, for as long as we had them as our standard hardware. (Last model was E6400).

We are now switching to Lenovo, fingers crossed.

Access Denied

It was like that when I got here...
My mate swears by Toshiba laptops. Of course he's turned traitor and gone over to Apple but I won't hold that against him. More money than sense tbh.

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
They did have a Tosh satelite there for £379, but it was not as spec'd up as the HP, but it was nice. I asked the guy which one he thought was better, he said they were both on a par but the HP was quicker

Lethul

FH is my second home
We have hp elitebooks 8540w's on my workplace.
I don't think anyone have had any hardware problems while I have been working here (20 comps)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
They did have a Tosh satelite there for £379, but it was not as spec'd up as the HP, but it was nice. I asked the guy which one he thought was better, he said they were both on a par but the HP was quicker
Oh dear asking advice in PC world. :twak:

soze

I am a FH squatter
HP are decent machines. There are a lot of stories of them failing due to them selling so many. And compared to Sony and Acer the support is brilliant. I have been told today that I will have to send my clients Sony Ultrabook back for them to swap the memory round despite telling them we have already tried other RAM and it is fine. They will not cross ship £40 worth of RAM. They will collect it swap the RAM then wipe the Disk to test it then send it back costing god knows how much. I am hoping either the client or account manager will say f that and buy a new stick to save me having to GHOST the fucker and listen to the client bitch for a week while his laptop is away.

old.Osy

Not in my experience. I have roughly 700~ users, out of which 400 are laptops, all HP. Older models are indeed better, but those mentioned in my earlier post I would steer clear from.

Not gonna claim Dells did not fail, but they failed less, were generally sturdier, battery would have a longer life, etc. Not sure about support and etc, we send em back to be serviced, and we issue a temporary laptop to the user as replacement.

soze

I am a FH squatter
Did they all come in one batch? We have had bad batches of HP and the good thing is once you get over a certian percent faulty in a batch your HP Account manager can issue replacements for the whole lot. We had 8 of 25 desktops blow the power supply taking the motherboard with them over 11 months and just before the warranty was due to expire the account manager managed to get all 25 replaced with new units. I am not sure of the exact number but it could be worth checking if you still have the faulty laptops and they are within warranty.

old.Osy

Roughly 4-5 different batches, fault ratio similar across. You can imagine how happy our organization was with HP since we're now moving to Lenovo worldwide. (200k employees around the globe)

I would however commend their servers. Haven't had any issues yet.

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
We went from HP to Dell at work, both are terrible tbh. Wish we'd use Lenovo.

For desktops / laptops that is. As Osy said, their servers are great.

soze

I am a FH squatter
My issues with Dell was always the differences between machines in batches. We do a lot of putting a users disk in a spare machine to keep them working. And sometimes with a Dell it would fall on its arse with driver issues. Not an issue with Win 7 though.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
I don't suppose any of your companies actually publish hardware failure rates?

Dell are currently trying to get a big share of the academic/research market so are offering discounts on their hardware. So far the failure rates look comparable.

soze

I am a FH squatter
We don't I know that. I am not sure if it would get us in trouble as the numbers are not 100% just the faults our customers come back to us with.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Dell are ok if you get the business machines, otherwise they're foul. HP/Compaq are fine if you're not doing anything critical. Lenovo is definitely the standout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom