Question Same devices on a PC as a laptop ?

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
I was just wondering if you could get the same Wireless Adapter on a PC as the one you have in a laptop. For example the one in my laptop that came with it is a HP Broadcom 802.11 b/g wlan adapter, and it gets better signal than the adapter connected to my Xbox360. (Think it may have something to do with the new Xbox adapters being wireless N ?) Anyway if and when I sort my self out with a PC it would be a safer better to use the same/similar adapter wouldn't it, rather than going with a random adapter that promises more and may not be compatible.

nath

Fledgling Freddie
It's more likely to do with the inbuilt aerial in the laptop than anything else.

inactionman

Can't get enough of FH
Wireless is wireless is wireless pretty much, as long as they are standards compliant (wireless N etc.). The only difference is the antenna but for desktops you can always buy a better one from somewhere like maplins.

Best to get a PCI/PCI Express one, as the USB one's tend to be crap with dodgy drivers.

Madmaxx

FH is my second home
Nice quick replys :D and if that's the case I'll stick with a b/g and I should be fine.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
Just get a desktop Broadcom model, it's likely to be the same chip. The rest, as nath quite righty points out, is down to the antenna.

Intel Wireless chips are normally pretty decent too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom