S/S Champion RvR viable?

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
I have a Lvl 50 LW spec Champion that is currently dormant. I really wish that such an item as a 'Class Respec' stone existed so that I could turn him into a Hero, but sadly there's not.

My current take on the state of Hib/Pryd RvR is that Champions are not wanted in groups. If you aren't a Druid with GP, a BM or a Hero then you may as well forget it.

I have been wondering whether it would be worth buying a respec stone and changing him to S/S spec.

At least that way he'd have some utility in terms of guarding casters/healers while the BMs and Heros dish out the damage.

What do you all think about this?

The final option (and not one I would undertake lightly) would be to delete and re-roll as either a S/S Hero or a BM.

Maeloch

Part of the furniture

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Hey Tare ;)

Think they'll be getting sick of me asking questions there TBH - especially as I've spent the majority of my time recently in Alb/Excal levelling my Necro :)

I'll nip over there now and see what the verdict is :)

Danamyr

Fledgling Freddie
Maeloch said:
Do think people can be to snobby about determination sometimes in hib grps tho', as u got 2*GP + self purge up in grp hopefully.

I agree completely - even with only one GP and my own Purge, surely I should have some value.

The reply I always get when discussing this with others is "Why should a group pick you when they can fill the spot with a BM that can outdamage you, or a Hero that can Guard better than you?"

I always struggle to answer that.

People in Hib/Pryd seem utterly obsessed with creating 'perfect' groups for RvR. Some classes are marginalised completely because of what they can do, whereas others (like the Champ) are marginalised because of lack of Det.

Looking at Jamie's DW rating would indicate to me he has a constant group spot, perhaps a Guild spot.

Utterly confused now - don't really know if I enjoy playing my Champion anymore, but don't want to go S/S just so I may get a RvR spot when I do play him.

I wish I could make my mind up how to play him best in RvR - pure damage must be out - LW is outdamaged (over time) by a BM, and in sheer damage by a Hero using CS.

This is so confusing!!

Gahn

Resident Freddy
^^

Danamyr said:
I agree completely - even with only one GP and my own Purge, surely I should have some value.

The reply I always get when discussing this with others is "Why should a group pick you when they can fill the spot with a BM that can outdamage you, or a Hero that can Guard better than you?"

I always struggle to answer that.

People in Hib/Pryd seem utterly obsessed with creating 'perfect' groups for RvR. Some classes are marginalised completely because of what they can do, whereas others (like the Champ) are marginalised because of lack of Det.

Looking at Jamie's DW rating would indicate to me he has a constant group spot, perhaps a Guild spot.

Utterly confused now - don't really know if I enjoy playing my Champion anymore, but don't want to go S/S just so I may get a RvR spot when I do play him.

I wish I could make my mind up how to play him best in RvR - pure damage must be out - LW is outdamaged (over time) by a BM, and in sheer damage by a Hero using CS.

This is so confusing!!

I've answered u on Pryd.net already tho from a defensive Hero perspective i'd love to have in a caster grp another defensive tank as a Champ to debuff the inc train, so if they own purge and at least one Druid with GP in grp Champs can be a perfect addiction on a pbae box grp.
AKA something like 2 Druids 2 Mana Eldies 1 Mana Chanter 1 Bard 1 Shield Hero 1 Shield Champ.
I'd like to try it out tbh :)

Lakih

Resident Freddy
If you can stand people laughing at you, calling you gimp and the facto it takes bloody forever to kill anything a s/s champ is a very viable class in both RvR and PvE.
I love my class, dont think anything else but determination has turned the champ into a chimp and it can be extreamly frustrating from time to time.

Cookiecutter template is 50 valor, 42 shield, 39 weapon, 6 parry.

Starflame

Fledgling Freddie
Danamyr said:
Jamie solos alb frontier only, he rarely gets a gg cause he sucks playing group :D and altho we let him in cause we are nice to our fellow guildies :wub: (and this is the only way you will see him in any other frontier). And afaik hes unbuffed 95% of his soloing time...

pez

Can't get enough of FH
in response to your question

no

await the det nerf

Merino

Fledgling Freddie
It's sad but...

pez said:
in response to your question

no

await the det nerf

Pez is right.
My champ toon hasn't hit 50 yet, so my experience may be of reduced value, but I did a lot of RVR lately to get the Merchant Keep II quest done.
And my experience is exactly what a group mate once foretold me, when I asked about my role as a S/S champ: "Stand around mezzed until the fight is over".
If you're lucky you're in a grp which scores a kill or two before going down, so you'll get a few RPS as enemy grps tend to kill mezzed Champs last.
On the rare occasion you don't play a tree, just do the assist thing and help the MA by debuffing the target. Until TOA hits us, this is our best contribution. With TOA pure tanks will get to debuff proccing items, rendereing champions utterly useless.
Under these circumstances LW may be the better choice, as your damage output with 1h is rather pathetic.
It's another story on 1 vs 1 (at least from my Caledonia experience) debuff/engage/blocking/off block chain wears enemies out. But thre is no such thing as 1 vs 1 in RVR.
Better wait for better times.

Merino, gimpion

Jaem-

Can't get enough of FH
Jamiesmallicus is a hard one to fight :) I liked the fights with him, tho only a few, their the sort of fights you'd include in a daoc movie even if you lost :)

Blocks and hits a nice amount for being unbuffed, its kind of interesting, as I get debuffed to my unbuffed stats, seems like unbuffed sb vs unbuffed champ battling :p

Happlo

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah Jamies has gotten his 2mill plus RPs from purely sticking at it, and being a regular in Sauvage ;)

As far as champs in groups, unfortunatly because of the current game mechanics and the way det works now, champs are abit of a waste of a space when you could have a BM or Hero :(

Even with 2x GP and single pure you would still find yourself effected by CC, and Det 5 greatly reduces this (in a tank group high det is essential imho). And your right, hib/pryd does squeeze as much viability out of its groups, but this is because that is the mentality of alot of the other groups running that you will come up against, and to pay any less attension to your group setup would mean death if you run into one of these groups.

jamiesmallicus

One of Freddy's beloved
lo peeps

yes unfortunately not alot of room for shield champs in groups...hehe gets to point that when u get offered u make excuses..lol anti social bastard ...joking think we do ok solo but hero better for group rvr..

Smurflord

Fledgling Freddie
Advice for playing a champion:

1) Do not go sword and shield
2) Do not play an elf
3) Do not stand on your own in the middle of the road outside Castle Sauvage
4) Do not stand and wait to get run over by full groups of us, repeatedly.

With love, Jamie :wub:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom