Ryzen or i5

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
i5 8600k or a amd chip ?

Which one and which alternate is equiv. looking to make something last a good few years. The mobos better for amd or intel?

Syri

FH is my second home
I've not done a great deal of research on this as I've not been looking at upgrades for a while now, so this is just from what I can gather, and may not be accurate. From what I can tell, it looks as though the Ryzen line are better for multi-thread performance, where the work is being spread across all of the cores properly, while the intel chips are performing better on single core optimised tasks, which sadly still includes a lot of gaming (though it is improving, gradually).
Going from what I've looked at, and my thoughts on it, I'd say look at where your current CPU is struggling. Is it trying to put everything on one core, and maxing it out while the rest sit idle, or are all of the cores working together and still struggling? If it's the former, then chances are you're using a lot of single core optimised software, and would benefit from intel, otherwise you're using multi-core optimised software that would probably benefit more from Ryzen.
As for motherboards, they're pretty comparable really. The AMD chips have a slightly better built in GPU (though that's really down to the CPU, not the motherboard) but neither can compare to a dedicated GPU. The features are pretty much identical, and I think the prices are pretty comparable as well, from what I can gather at least. As I said though, I've not been looking at upgrades as my PC is still handling everything fine for the moment.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Why I'd recommend Ryzen, even though the i5 6 core has marginally better perf/price right now: ( like 2% ).

Motherboards for AMD are cheaper, by a LOT. Coffee lake mobos are expensive.
That affects your total system price and shifts the $/perf to amd.

The coffee lake advantage is really small, we're talking a few % at most in a few games.

Next up - intel are shit cunts.

Despite Skylake, Kaby Lake and Coffee lake all running on socket 1151, can you fuck put a coffee lake cpu in a skylake or kaby lake motherboard?
Can you fuck? Throw me your wallet you shit cunt. That'll be a new motherboard.

AMD have promised AM4 compatibility until 2020 at least.
That means Ryzen+ ( due out really soon ), will work on any AM4 board.
It means Ryzen2 will work if you want to upgrade next year.
It means Ryzen2+ will work if you want to upgrade the year after.

So if you buy now and want to upgrade in 3-4 years you can either buy a new cpu, or buy a second hand gen old and just swap the cpu, no full system rebuild.

tldr, despite similiar initial CPU buy in prices, intel want to fuck your sweet tight butthole and you should tell them to go fuck themselves.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Thanks

I currently have a gen 3 i7 i think. So its starting to bottle neck things i think.

Either would be abig step up.

Its just bitting the bullet. And facing the reinstall pain. Btw what speed ram isbest with these board / cpu combos.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Why I'd recommend Ryzen, even though the i5 6 core has marginally better perf/price right now: ( like 2% ).

The coffee lake advantage is really small, we're talking a few % at most in a few games.

Despite Skylake, Kaby Lake and Coffee lake all running on socket 1151, can you fuck put a coffee lake cpu in a skylake or kaby lake motherboard?

So if you buy now and want to upgrade in 3-4 years you can either buy a new cpu, or buy a second hand gen old and just swap the cpu, no full system rebuild.

tldr, despite similiar initial CPU buy in prices, intel want to fuck your sweet tight butthole and you should tell them to go fuck themselves.
Also worth bearing in mind that stuff is already optimised for Intel and optimisations for AMD are still happening so that performance gap in newer games and apps will probably narrow / vanish / reverse.

I'm considering going Ryzen for when I build my son his first gaming PC. Not yet decided though :)

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Best place to buy? Scan? Overclockers? Novatech?

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Overclockers/Scan , avoid ebuyer.

Although new ryzen chips are shipping this month/next? Similar prices as well.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Overclockers/Scan , avoid ebuyer.

Although new ryzen chips are shipping this month/next? Similar prices as well.
M.2. Sata or nvme. They both work if you have m.2 interface on the mobo or they have to have a specific one for each?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber

Also the new Ryzen chips can pretty well handle reasonable 1080p gaming without sticking a GPU in the box, which given the prices of GPUs at the moment are stupid, could allow you the ability to really drive down the price of your upgrade.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
Run a game without a gpu. Like a triple a game ?

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Intel Core i7-8709G with Vega M Graphics

In layman speech, the radeon vega gpu is added on the pcb next to the intel cpu, bridged by a pcie 3.0 link - and the performance is slightly above GTX 1060, fyi.

May be worth looking at it when it comes out, although I suspect the mobo price will offset whatever reduction in price you may get.

Edit: So yes, triple A gaming at high or better.

old.Osy

No longer scrounging, still a bastard.
Intel Core i7-8709G with Vega M Graphics

In layman speech, the radeon vega gpu is added on the pcb next to the intel cpu, bridged by a pcie 3.0 link - and the performance is slightly above GTX 1060, fyi.

May be worth looking at it when it comes out, although I suspect the mobo price will offset whatever reduction in price you may get.

Edit: So yes, triple A gaming at high or better.

Um, looked at this a second time - seems it's mobile only. So only laptops for now.

Still, we're going the iPhone way, everything packaged and soldered together - it has a bad side and a good side.

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber

I rebuilt my gaming pc in the last few weeks and went with
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
  • Asus Prime X470 Pro
  • 16gb some Corsair 3200mhz RAM (2 x 8gb)
  • 256gb Samsung nvme
My graphics card is still the same, Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8gig

and I must say it is flying. Very happy with it and I love the fact that if a new revision of the CPU comes out in the next couple of years I can simply replace the CPU and not the entire fucking thing is nice. To be honest, am fed up with Intel and fancied a change. Happy so far.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
I rebuilt my gaming pc in the last few weeks and went with
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
  • Asus Prime X470 Pro
  • 16gb some Corsair 3200mhz RAM (2 x 8gb)
  • 256gb Samsung nvme
My graphics card is still the same, Sapphire Nitro+ RX580 8gig

and I must say it is flying. Very happy with it and I love the fact that if a new revision of the CPU comes out in the next couple of years I can simply replace the CPU and not the entire fucking thing is nice. To be honest, am fed up with Intel and fancied a change. Happy so far.

And how much did that set you back? Cheaper than an Equiv Intel setup?

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
And how much did that set you back? Cheaper than an Equiv Intel setup?
It came out cheaper than an Intel equivalent based CPU and motherboard, however, cost was not the tipping point. I am just pissed off at Intel and AMD cpus are much better at threading than Intel and more and more games are moving toward that for extra performance. Also, with the work that I do single core speed is irrelevant. Each to their own but I am extremely happy with my decision.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
I'm quite happy with my Ryzen tbh, if AMD keep at it like they have been with Ryzen I don't think I'd go back to Intel again purely going by price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom