[INFO] RVR Performance Update

Penlid

Fledgling Freddie
The WAR community has expressed concern with overall performance and server stability in Tier 4, particularly during large-scale fortress sieges. We want you to know that we’re listening and dedicated to resolving this issue as quickly as possible. Our Production team has been working hard to resolve this with both server-side fixes to resolve any crashing issues, as well as client-side fixes to improve frame rate and other graphic-related issues that can occur during large battles.

RvR is a core element to Warhammer Online, and we are committed to making it an enjoyable and exciting experience for all of our players. Our ultimate goal is to have our players focused on fighting their opponents and experiencing the thrill of RvR the way it should be. Thank you for your continued support and patience while we work to resolve these issues. We’ll keep you updated on our progress.
button

Source: http://warherald.com/warherald/NewsArticle.war?id=480

GReaper

Part of the furniture
It's a bit too late! Those players who were vaguely interested in the game lost a lot of interest when fortress sieges (and therefore city sieges) were made impossible.

Was highly frustrating seeing servers reset to square one.

Nate

FH is my second home
It's a bit too late! Those players who were vaguely interested in the game lost a lot of interest when fortress sieges (and therefore city sieges) were made impossible.

300px-Doom_box.jpg
? :D

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
Holy shit Nate, that brings back some memories.

We used to call our LAN parties Doom Nights :)

Xandax

Loyal Freddie
Well - it might not have been too late yet, but it depends on how long they take for it to get here.
After all, it doesn't really put forth any kind of time frame.

Vintersorg

Can't get enough of FH

Yeah, that was the kind of stuff they were saying about World of Whorecraft back in 2004...and look at it now, four years later...it's still there and it's still going strong.
War still has a bright future IMHO, but it needs time...

gordro

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah, that was the kind of stuff they were saying about World of Whorecraft back in 2004...and look at it now, four years later...it's still there and it's still going strong.
War still has a bright future IMHO, but it needs time...

Back in 2004 there was no real compertition.

Most of the people I know that left Wow for War went back when the Lich King came out. None of them really wanted to but they did want to play a game to have fun.

Now they are all 80 and ingrossed in the epic grind.

Most of them have forgotten about war, and I doubt they would come back or are even interested in War any more

Vintersorg

Can't get enough of FH

Most of the people I know that left Wow for War went back when the Lich King came out. None of them really wanted to but they did want to play a game to have fun.

Most of them have forgotten about war, and I doubt they would come back or are even interested in War any more

Oh really, no competition?
You obviously weren't around back then. Because there was more than enough competition...Everquest 2, daoc was still there, Ultima Online still had a huge playerbase...

pikeh

Resident Freddy
Asherons Call as well.

/edit on topic, nice to know they want to fix that shit. My FPS always drops to stupid rates from a constant 60+ everywhere else, in the lords room.

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Oh well aknowledging it is the 1st step at least lol

Calaen

I am a massive cock who isn't firing atm!

Tbh they are the best people to lose. The majority of them have no understanding of how a game like WAR needs to be played at end game, it still not uncommon to see the WoW players beating ion a tank when he has a healer standing behind him untouched.

Vintersorg

Can't get enough of FH
Tbh they are the best people to lose. The majority of them have no understanding of how a game like WAR needs to be played at end game, it still not uncommon to see the WoW players beating ion a tank when he has a healer standing behind him untouched.

Or the ex-WoW players playing Archmages/Runepriests keeping on nuking the Destro players, while the White Lion that tries to keep their asses standing gets hammered into the ground without healing...and then afterwards start to whine that "why didn't you keep the healers alive? now we lost the scenario 500-14"
Those same people who are the reason I have asshat installed...

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Update from Mark on Vnboards:

VN Boards - Update on Fortress crashes/performance issues

"Folks,

Yesterday I talked about the two major issues regarding the taking of a fortress. Here's a quick update:

1) Some (hopefully all) of the causes of the crashes/performance issues that have occurred during some sieges have been identified. Both are linked to the number of people who are involved in the events. Last night for example we had about 800 people descend on one fortress at the same time. The results of that were indeed a crash unfortunately. Of course, an 800 person battle is certainly large-scale and epic RvR and shows that lots of people are out on the servers engaging in oRvR.

2) The team is working on a server-side fix to solve the crashing issue(s) while we are also looking at whether a 800+ person fortress battle is doable even under the best of conditions.

3) As I expected, some of the performance issues were indeed client-side and the team is readying a patch which we hope will fix a bug which was the major cause of unusually low framerate/lag in large-scale RvR. We hope the patch will go up today and if it does what we expect it to do, it should help in all RvR and not just large scale RvR.

So, that's the quick update.

Mark "

Calaen

I wish they would let me see the 30 order players 5 feet in front of me before I am actually in the middle of them :p

Reno

One of Freddy's beloved
I wish they would let me see the 30 order players 5 feet in front of me before I am actually in the middle of them :p

Ditto.
Looking into the inner keep of Drakebreaker and only seeing maybe 5 ppl, then entering it and finding about 30 in the back after about 2-3 seconds inside the keep, while still at 20-30+ fps, doesn't bode well for their servers ( or my connection).

Danita

Gahn

Resident Freddy
Imo it's a bottleneck between the packets sent from clients, the server load to elaborate and resend positions.
They should really downsize the graphics of spell effects, figures and colors of enemies to a set of basic features.
Honestly, if the servers / bandwidth / whatever doesn't cope, i don't give a glaring shit to see if a Black Orc has nice details painted on his shield, i wanna just be able to decide whether an enemy toon is a tank - caster - healer - rdps and his race.

Calaen

Imo it's a bottleneck between the packets sent from clients, the server load to elaborate and resend positions.
They should really downsize the graphics of spell effects, figures and colors of enemies to a set of basic features.
Honestly, if the servers / bandwidth / whatever doesn't cope, i don't give a glaring shit to see if a Black Orc has nice details painted on his shield, i wanna just be able to decide whether an enemy toon is a tank - caster - healer - rdps and his race.

Agree, I care not for seeing peoples trophies I just want to see what I am up against. The amount of times I have been in a lord room with defenders only for the lord to die next to me without seeing anyone is unreal.

ramathorn

Fledgling Freddie

VN Boards - Update on Fortress crashes/performance issues

"Folks,

Yesterday I talked about the two major issues regarding the taking of a fortress. Here's a quick update:

1) Some (hopefully all) of the causes of the crashes/performance issues that have occurred during some sieges have been identified. Both are linked to the number of people who are involved in the events. Last night for example we had about 800 people descend on one fortress at the same time. The results of that were indeed a crash unfortunately. Of course, an 800 person battle is certainly large-scale and epic RvR and shows that lots of people are out on the servers engaging in oRvR.

2) The team is working on a server-side fix to solve the crashing issue(s) while we are also looking at whether a 800+ person fortress battle is doable even under the best of conditions.

3) As I expected, some of the performance issues were indeed client-side and the team is readying a patch which we hope will fix a bug which was the major cause of unusually low framerate/lag in large-scale RvR. We hope the patch will go up today and if it does what we expect it to do, it should help in all RvR and not just large scale RvR.

So, that's the quick update.

Mark "

Will be great if the answer to number 2 is no.....it would be kind of good to know this BEFORE you release a game and market it around something that you have no idea is possible.

Gear

Can't get enough of FH

1) Some (hopefully all) of the causes of the crashes/performance issues that have occurred during some sieges have been identified. Both are linked to the number of people who are involved in the events. blah blah blah

The man is a genius! He figured out that too many people in the same are caused the server to crash! Fucken hell.... I mean... fucken hell.....

Ezeine

Loyal Freddie

VN Boards - WAR, open RvR and you - Our plans and goals over the next few months and beyond

"Folks,

Here's a quick update on where things stand as of this evening:

1) Patch 1.0.6 is looking good for going LIVE tomorrow.

2) The fix I talked about last week that will improve overall client performance in RvR, especially in high traffic situations, *may* go LIVE tomorrow. It involved a major change to the client and we need to be 100% sure that that we don't make some things better but at the same time, make some things worse with this change.

3) We hope to have a fix to the major issue that is causing fortress crashing going either to the PTS this week and/or possibly rolled out to one or two commercial servers this week as well for testing this week as well. As above, this also involved a significant change (but this time to the server) so we need to be a little bit more careful than usual before it's rolled out to all the LIVE servers.

4) I hope to be able to post tomorrow going into a little bit more detail about the influence system that we hope will go LIVE with 1.1. FYI, 1.1 is still looking good for going LIVE this month. It can still be pushed back of course but it's still on track as of today.

And no, I don't ignore threads once they get to a certain point but I do tend to stop commenting in them unless I have something useful to say. There is no point in simply saying "it's coming soon" again and again.

Mark"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom