Rush

Tom

I am a FH squatter

Turamber

Part of the furniture
I have Farewell to Kings about someplace. Been a long time since I listened to their stuff, but I seem to remember loving the bass playing but finding the music a little too stylised for my tastes. Plus the guy's voice is an acquired taste!

shanks

Fledgling Freddie
Ah Rush, an refreshingly political band. My favourite of the three listed is hemisphere since it's quite proggy, they got alot more popish in the 80's. And as mentioned, people do tend to get hung up on Giddy's vocals.

Gengi

Fledgling Freddie
Probably the least biased opinion in the world bar Geddy's :)

Buy them, I went to see them last year in Glasgow for the 30th Anniversary tour, absofuckinglutely brilliant. There live albums are very good, not sure if I would compare them to Pink Floyd though.

Those three are excellent choices, you may want to get Moving Pictures too and Exit Stage Left. pretty much everything up to Signals, then be selective, till Roll The Bones, I will buy the Rush in Rio DVD one day too. Geddys voice, er it grows on you :)

Later

/edit after seeing which albums were being considered

Wij

I am a FH squatter
Best Prog Rock evah !!!11

Farewell to Kings and Hemishperes are my personal faves. Loads of long epic pieces.

Some of their later (4 minute a song) albums are quite good too. Particularly Grace Under Pressure imo, if you are less into experimentation but still like something a bit more intelligent than stadard rock.

Geddy Lee's vocals are very high-pitched on the early albums but so what. You're not trying to pull chicks with Rush are you ?

He is a fantastic bass player and he sings well, just higher than normal :)

Neil Peart's drumming is amazing. Just listen to some of the little touches he does with the cymbals. Competent lyricist too.

Alex Lifesons leads are truly orginal. Listen to the one on the title track for Farewell to Kings. How he plays to that time signature is beyond me :D

Excuse me, I'm off to go wank in 7/8...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom