Running two os?

A

Annihilator

Is it possible to run a windows os and a linux os if i just choose which one i want to use at startup?

D

Deadmanwalking

Yes

put windows on the boot partition

T

Testin da Cable

windows can be anywhere you want really. there is a thing about installing it first though. you see, (a) windows doesn't really like to dualboot with anything other than another windows and thus will screw up your MBR something chronic. so...windows installed first, properOS installed second.

T

TheJkWhoSaysNi

I've found the easiest way is to just get another hard drive and install a different OS on each drive. Then you can just go into the bios and chose which one you want to boot from (Or if your mobo supports it there is usally a key you can press to bring up a menu).

H

Happy Go Lucky

Don't use boot magic to decide what os to boot if partitioning with partition magic, use linux to choose which os to boot, I find linux works best as dual boot with windows because you sometimes need windows to execute stuff then you drag stuff over from linux for use.

S

(Shovel)

LILO (with SuSE 8 install at least) didn't like booting Windows XP from NTFS. I don't know about from vFAT.

I had gdisk (command prompt tool, comes with Norton Ghost) which creates a file to boot any disk partition you like. Then it adds it to boot.ini and you select it that way. I installed the Linux boot record on the Linux partition so I get Lilo afterwards.

That worked flawlessly for me anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom