Running two accounts

Poox

Loyal Freddie
Is it possible to run two accounts, one buffbot on Classic with no effects.

and one playing on ToA with no effects in RvR

On these system specs

Geforce 6600GT
AMD Athlon 64 processor
3000+
1.81GHZ 512mb RAM

(Or if I upgraded to 1024MB RAM)

Dimmer

Fledgling Freddie
defently you need 1 GIG of RAM to do it... due to ToA client is eating up 387MB+ for running, and classic is around 250MB+ (if avavible) if not enaugh RAM then you get LD first time you tab to the other client
I have 1½GIG RAM atm, and after 2 hours running ToA client it uses almost 800MB RAM on my system, so RAM is needed to run 2 clients

Poox

Loyal Freddie
LordJOx

Do you mean it will be slow with 512mb or 1024mb?

Ballard

Fledgling Freddie
It will be slow with either in my experience. Playable yes but not as good as running a single account on a one gig ram system. When I used to run two accounts I built a second budget PC for a paltry sum and used that for the buff bot. It has the added benefit that you can heal and buff etc at the same time as you actively play the main account.

youngbaba

Fledgling Freddie
I used to use laptop for buffbot, but it went tits up. Now i dual log on my 3700 64, 1GB, 6800GT. Get more ram imo, and set both clients to low priority in task manager and ull be fine. A fast harddisk is also a good idea cause with only 1GB ram therel be a lot of caching to the HDD

Melachi

Fledgling Freddie
are you planning this for RvR? Id imagine so, but anyway...

I often run two accounts on my crappy laptop,
512mb ram
2.8ghz pentium 4 <- overheats the machine
Geforce Go FX5200 <- piece of crap

I notice that when i run one account, it uses around 300+ mb's of ram. But when I load two, they both use around 30 to 80 mb's of ram each.

They run pefectly smooth in ToA/Classic/Dungeon zones (havent tried Catacombs), loading times are okish. Now about frontier zones, they take for ever to load, the odd time that Ive dual logged in the frontier, after an intial 5 mins of lag, it seemed perfect, but as soon as enemies showed up it went to hell for about another 5 mins, after that it was perfect and as if i was just running one account

Hollomere

Fledgling Freddie
I run dual accounts logged in on my system - it works as long as you remember to set the client mode to 'Sleep' (it then uses only 1% CPU time when its not the active window)

I have an Athlon 3200+, 1GB RAM, 10K 8Mb cache SATA HDD and Radeon 128Mb 9700 Pro

The only problem I have is this - if I log the BB in first, then the main accout it always works. Do it the other way around and the BB LD's really quickly.

Ixu

Loyal Freddie
You can easily dual log with that comp :)

I dual log 2x catacombs accounts easily with 1050 mzh comp 512 ddr :p

And after startlag it runs smoothy

Dimse Dut

Fledgling Freddie
You should Be able to do that no problems what people might have forgotten to tell you is to make your "virtual memory" aka swap file bigger than the Windows standard. The Swap file is as far as I recall ( old senile lady here =D ) The pre-asigned space that windows will use if it runs out of Ram. its sorta your Ram Backup. With games like Daoc, that are very demanding on your computer its not a good idea to let Windows manage the swap file because tbh its still in Kindergarten in that area. The command /clientsleep background will also be a big help. I have experienced that running in Full Screen on both clients is even less demanding and have been on 120+ Masterlevel raids with 2 chars on 1 computer with no problems.

The Only Place where you might get a hitch is with you GFX card, even though its a PCI express card in disguise, that it might keel over from a heat stroke but you can fix that with adding a Passive cooler to the card instead of the one that came with it. Symptoms of GFX overheating (apart from smoke and a nasty smell) are usually that the scren freezes on you =D.

Conclussion= With 512 extra ram and a bigger swap file you will be dual Log Larry King Prawn of the dual Loggers =D

Poox

Loyal Freddie
Yes, I have 5gb Page file virtual memory over-run so thats fine

will be getting an extra 512mb taking me to 1024mb RAM

but also..how do i put a client to 'sleep' ?
someone said it in an earlier post

Dimse Dut

Fledgling Freddie
Type /clientsleep background. That will Put the client that is in the background in "sleep" mode. You can do that with both clients so you can tab between them.

5GB swap file is Alot. try with 1.5 GB first and se if that isnt enough for you =D

Poox

Loyal Freddie
Ok now I have a weird problem

It plays fine with 2 accounts for a couple of hours

then one account LD's

any ideas?

Craft

Fledgling Freddie

Here is how you keep stick on same PC using 2 accounts:

1) Ok right click my computer, and proceed to "Properties".

2) Click the "Advanced" Tab.

3) You will have 3 Buttons all named same "Settings" we need the "Settings" which is within the (performance) part, click that.

4) You will now be in the "Performance options", so what we do now is click the "Advanced" tab.

5) You will notice 2 options towards the top to do with "Processor Scheduling", to enable your chars to keep stick you need to check "Background Services" and hit apply at the bottom.

Once you have a game client logged in just type:

/clientsleep background

This will keep the account running so that you wont go link dead, try and experiment what is best for your system also, ie: logging both characters onto the servers, same area etc.

Hope it helps and most of all, makes Sense!

Im running:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
2 Ghz
1 Gb RAM
80 Gb HDD

When i run two clients i run them in ToA, this does me fine in RvR zones for Exping, tho when enemies are aroubnd you know about it, normally with a screen freeze then boom! 2krps! :D

edp33

Fledgling Freddie
yep i've got the same setup as Craft above, works fine, characters can stick up to each other running around volcanus etc no problem at all.

It feels quite laggy for the first minute or so, but when you've done alt-tab one or two times to switch characters it goes nice and smooth and you can play until your bored :)

Poox

Loyal Freddie
so i can still switch between both regularly? I just gotta do /clientsleep background each time?

edit: also if I run the buffbot in windowed mode will that help??

thanks in advance :)

Craft

Fledgling Freddie
My Desktop screen resolution is 1280 x 1024, i run both my ToA clients windowed at 1024 x 800, i drag one account to the side, ill post a picture when possible. Once ive got both accounts logged in, i just alt + tab between the accounts, which refreshes them, as far as i know once you have set each client to:

/clientsleep background

You should be ok, if your having a few ld or additional problems tho then i would suggest getting both characters to the same place to avoid zoning Link deads.

Hope it helps!

Voltage

Fledgling Freddie
dont forget also that if your buffbot is inactive for a couple of hours the server will close the connection, just remember to move him about a bit every hour or so and it wont be a problem

Boni

Fledgling Freddie
Craft said:
Here is how you keep stick on same PC using 2 accounts:

1) Ok right click my computer, and proceed to "Properties".

2) Click the "Advanced" Tab.

3) You will have 3 Buttons all named same "Settings" we need the "Settings" which is within the (performance) part, click that.

4) You will now be in the "Performance options", so what we do now is click the "Advanced" tab.

5) You will notice 2 options towards the top to do with "Processor Scheduling", to enable your chars to keep stick you need to check "Background Services" and hit apply at the bottom.

Once you have a game client logged in just type:

/clientsleep background

This will keep the account running so that you wont go link dead, try and experiment what is best for your system also, ie: logging both characters onto the servers, same area etc.

Hope it helps and most of all, makes Sense!

Im running:

AMD Athlon 64 3200+
2 Ghz
1 Gb RAM
80 Gb HDD

When i run two clients i run them in ToA, this does me fine in RvR zones for Exping, tho when enemies are aroubnd you know about it, normally with a screen freeze then boom! 2krps! :D

My buffbot has stopped crashing in the background after I followed this advice. I can run catacombs main client and buffbot on toa client very happily now (same spec as above). Thanks.

Svartmetall

Great Unclean One
Another thing I'd recommend is setting the priorities of both instances of the game to Low in Task Manager, so they won't fight over access to data packets from the net connection (which can cause LDs especially when Alt+Tabbing between accounts).

Ctrl+Alt+Del for Task Manager.
(do the following for both instances of the game)
In the Processes window, right click on 'game.dll'
Go to 'Set Priority' and set to 'Low'

I must give credit to Unnur form my guild (Margaret on FH) who pointed this tip out to me.

Oakraid

Fledgling Freddie
Have had the same problem here, really useful advice contained in this thread. Have one question though: how do i increase the virtual memory file?

Deadnala

Fledgling Freddie
Dimmer said:
if not enaugh RAM then you get LD first time you tab to the other client
You wont LD if you Alt+Esc instead of Alt+Tab then click the other client in your windows qbar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom