Rugby Union

D

darthshearer

Now that the lads are home etc and a nice welcome for them at the airport etc etc, Im a bit sick of the media.

Sure they get good media attention, they have just won the World Cup, but will they stop slagging football off.

I Dont know if anyone else has noticed. I listen to tlaksport alot at work and to and from work, and all it has been is people and the presenters slagging football,football fans and footballrs off compared to Rugby players,fans etc.

Yes its a differnt game, yes its differnt sort of fans but WHY? WHY all of a sudden are people ripping into the nations number 1 sport? Sure the players need more respect for the officials, certain fans need to grow up etc but Yawnion aint all that clean!

So when people phone in saying "Ohh if that was football fans waiting at heathrow they would have been fighting, xdrunk, vomiting, swearing" They are talking pants!

Union well NEVER EVER Be as popular as footy so that is that! You have had your little bit of fame now go get you 5k attendances at club matches!

Rant Over :( (I think I have the decoraters in ;)) Sorry pip :(

B

bigfoot

I played rugby a fair bit at school and found it to be mostly pointless.

D

doh_boy

I think the point is that everyone is fed up. Football has grown into a kind of monster. We can't rely on our football fans to act normally abroad and the business around the game is getting silly. I saw a program about agents and it was scary. Kewell's manager (he hasn't got a license to be an agent) said of the deal to get him to liverpool (£3m to leeds £2m to agent/manager £2m to player) that 'they didn't have to accept it'. Knowing the club was in major finanical trouble and were only selling him because he was worth a fair bit and would have been the only player worth enough to gamble with (as in selling players but still having a competitive side). He stitched them up for personal gain. His excuse was 'It wasn't my idea'. Other examples were given which were just as bad.

So to celebrate the fact that an english team went abroad to an 'old enemy' and won in an entertaining final and the fans behaved so well that they were congratulated by the australian press. Is kind of a refreshing change to 'English fan act like knobs again.....shocker'

D

Deadmanwalking

Your post was a perfect example of why football has gained the name it has.

The complete and utter single minded idealism that football is the sport of gods or something. We as a country suck at football, face it.

But in the spirit of a football fan feeling left out of the rugby celebrations.

Football, why?! The players are overpaid, spoilt wankers (In the premiership anyway) its got the image of bald, racist football hooligans. Which is very unfair yeah but then rugby gets called Elitest, Public school rich boys sport by the football massive.

And in the end who really cares? We are good at rugby and won something, the players are dedicated professionals who do they're job well. Football? How much more overhyped does it come?

You are a single minded football fan, fair enough me and others enjoy other sports without having to constantly think up "amusing" names for the ones we don't like.

L

leggy

Originally posted by bigfoot
I played rugby a fair bit at school and found it to be mostly pointless.

Complete comedy. I punctured a vibrating kidney with one of my split ribs reading that tbh :)

Anyway, my point is this: If rugby is pointless, doesn't that make nearly every other sport pointless by definition?

I amn't disagreeing. I played rugby at school also and it made me want to harm things.

X

xane

I don't think anything that has happened in the Rugby world has impacted the image of football.

More likely the increasing number of young overpaid stars getting into serious trouble; rape, assault, drink driving, violent conduct, getting their arse tattoo'ed etc.

S

(Shovel)

Indeed, football has done itself no favours off the pitch as it is :)

Rugby hasn't changed football, it's just exposed it for what it is (and isn't) to some people. I've lost a lot of interest in football over the past few years, Forest haven't been doing especially well which hasn't helped, but I dislike the way that money governs - sure all sports need financial backing, but in Rugby where the figures are smaller, everything is just that bit more 'real'. Having got back into it during the world cup, I personally find it more entertaining than footy too.

D

darthshearer

Originally posted by Deadmanwalking
You are a single minded football fan, fair enough me and others enjoy other sports without having to constantly think up "amusing" names for the ones we don't like.

Fair Enough DMW, I see quite a few of you points, but I am
1) A RL Fan
2) A Football Fan

I am just a but miffed why the people who day in day out talk about how they love football and then suddenly just because we have won the RU World Cup, they are slagging Football to the ground.

A

Ash!

As mentioned previously the press have applauded England for their achievments in the world cup. Like you Darth I listen to talk sport in the car and they have been giving football a bit of a good going over. In my opinion quite rightly so.

Their main question is what can football learn from Rugby. Well IMHO Rugby has got it right. Take a long term plan and stick to it. Invest in grassroots Rugby and stick to it. Football on the other hand is very short term. You only have to look at how many managers get sacked after 12 games because they cant get the results.

When Clive Woodward took over England they were criticised for dour performances. His reply was to get the fundamental elements of the game correct, make them the norm and then work on the flashy side of the game. Have faith and trust in me and we will win the world cup. Hey Presto look what happens.

As a football nation we always seem to get the fundamental things wrong. How many times have you watched an England game to think WTF is Ashley Cole doing on the left wing when they have so many players attacking or why on earth is Beckham messing about with the ball in the middle when he should be out on the right putting the crosses in ???. Its not just these players, its all the players.

We get things wrong from the grassroots that is the problem. I was walking through the park the other Sunday and the under 9's were playing footie. It was a corner to one team. They had this lad who was no more than 4 stone taking the corners. Obviously he couldnt kick it far and the coach is shouting and screaming at him becuase of his lack of tactical nouse. "More Pride, More Passion he kept screaming"

Football does have a lot to learn from Rugby in every sense.

Out of interest I watch more football then Rugby

D

darthshearer

When you put it like that Ash, it makes me feel like DMW says a typical football fan, and I have to agree with you.

The thing is, due to footy being our number 1 sport it gets a tonne of media attention, so it only takes a couple of fans kicking off to be in the news and it tars everyone.

I know of an incident where last season in a RL game there was a scuffle and nothing was mentioned anywhere, if that was football then it would be in the papers and radio for a few days!

But yes Football does need sorting and FAST!

A

Ash!

I know of an incident where last season in a RL game there was a scuffle and nothing was mentioned anywhere, if that was football then it would be in the papers and radio for a few days!

But yes Football does need sorting and FAST! [/B]

Couldnt agree more. What I find astonishing is that Football seems to have so many chances to sort itself out and it always buggers it up.

Football is well and truly under the microscope because of all the money that is involved. For all intents and purposes the press jump on this bandwaggon to make money.

It's like this so called war of words between Fergie & Wenger. A few edited quotes here and a few ommisions there and next thing it's back page news. When really it was nothing more than "I hope we beat them etc etc etc"

T

throdgrain

Im sick of football.
Not even so much thegame, but the wankers who play it, and (some) of the wankers who are obsessed by it.
The players are vastly overpaid, and behave appallingly. Its just like a kid ina sweet shop with too much money, they think they can have and do whatever they want. The Premiership is full to the brim of non-english players anyway. (I know that shouldnt make any difference, but it does to me :) )
Im sure this has been said before , but if you compare the players in the game on saturday with football players, and certainly the supporters with football suporters, I think football comes out looking a very poor relation in terms of behavior. There was no trouble that ive heard of in or after the game, and the all the players behaved perfectly in the game.
Im not some rugby-converted noob either, I dont go mad over it really, but I used to really like football, and nowadays the way football is I really couldnt give a fuck about it.

D

darthshearer

Originally posted by throdgrain
Im sick of football...........
Im not some rugby-converted noob either, I dont go mad over it really, but I used to really like football, and nowadays the way football is I really couldnt give a fuck about it.

That is my feeling at the moment Throddy.

I have a 5 year old nephew and I had a choice

a) Football
b) Rugby

I got him a Toon top :) But I would never take him to a footy game. I mean I have been to footy since I was 6 and aint seen many fights BUT I wouldnt reccomend away fans going here or there.

Rugby League / Union is a differnt kettle of fish. I proudly take my nephew to Headingley and away games. You mingle with the away fans and have banter and a laugh. Yes there is a little bad languae but not around the children. When I go with my mates you can go in your boozer and have the same banter with the away fans but still have a laugh and know you safe.

Last season The Rhinos attracted n00b supporters as we were doing well. These fans stood out a mile as Football fans and didnt fit well into league as they were zombie-fied into footballfanism.!

Anyway the reason for this thread is, Im sick of the media sticking the knife into football over the past few days, yes some of ots granted to please when the hype has calmed down you will be licking backside again!

Case Closed! :)

D

Deadmanwalking

Well what it comes down to is that before the world cup noone gave a flying fuk about rugby. As soon as they realise we are doing well/won it its all "wow go on england" the whole bandwagon jobbo.

And compared to Footie fans and players the top ring of Rugby players are absolute saints. If the radio had been saying all this a few months back then noone would have cared as rugby wasn't what it is now.

A

Ash!

It is alleged that one of the English rugby players failed a drugs test yesterday.
If positive, under World Rugby Federation rules, paragraph 6 sub-section 2e England will FORFEIT the world cup and Australia will retain the crown.

Footnote:
Carlsberg do not make emails, but if they did this would probably be the best email in the world

Users who are viewing this thread