RtCW to survive?

B

bigbb

As you're no doubt aware, today we saw the release of, Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. Though has got off to a bad start with multiplayer server problems it looks set to become a very popular game.

So, my question is simple. With MoH:AA being on relatively similar ground to RtCW do you think there's room in this town for both? No doubt, RtCW has got a hefty community, atm. Spanning across globe with the UK seeing new leagues (Including our very own here at BW) springing up left, right and centre. But, the longevity of a game often lies in multiplayer, do you believe RtCW and thereon, its community can survive and even develop in such a competitive genre?

Note: Try to answer as objectively as possible, even though many here are fans of RtCW and not necessarily MoH:AA.

S

ShockingAlberto

Tbh, i don't think Wolfy MP can survive as it is. Whilst the style of TP that they implemented on Wolfy was very fresh, it gets boring quickly. For a start, the objectives in the maps are too simple. Next, the game relies to heavily on the SMGs, which are fairly boring.

I don't think there's much feeling in the combat. It's hard to tell if your hitting someone - Sometimes people use 2clips to kill one guy, wheras at other times you down someone in a few shots... If they gave the Soldiers akimbo pistols and *some* armour, then the game would be more interesting imo.

Currently, the game needs either new maps, or a new game mode. RTCW Coop would absolutly own, but somehow i doubt it will ever happen. Besides that, i don't see much more variety in the game. Tbh, they could have played on the themes of SP far more in the MP. The errieness of the Zombies and the UberSoldats is brilliant, so if they could have set some maps around that, with the said creatures attacking both sides... Well, it would have made the game even more unique that it is.

Oh well, enough of my mad ramblings :/

T

throdgrain

As I've said elsewhere, I really wanted RtCW to be good. However I've given it up already, in fact a few weeks ago, for the following reasons.
1.There's just not enough maps.
2.What there is seems very dark, no matter what i do.
3. It is insanely pc intensive.
4.Ive come to find the ID style of shooting in front of the target, plus the fact that the target doesnt slow down when you DO hit it,very irritating.
OK will I buy MoH? No. why? Well I'm just not a single player kind of person, I didnt even nearly finish RtCW, and as MoH seems already to have terrible multiplayer problems why waste my money?
Me, I still think C.S is the daddy of all online games, and for WW2 sims why go further than DoD? It feels very similar to CS (as it would! ), so doesnt mess up my CS playing, and yet it is also very very good in its own right.
So, for people who like the single player thing, I expect they'l have bought and played both, and good luck to them.For multiplayer sorts like me, the Half-Life engine still rules supreme, and long may it do so .

C

.cage

From what i'm told, Moh is, and I quote "utter shit" in multi-player, and I don't think Wolf has anything to worry about really. Although I do think a lot of people are using it as a 'stop-gap' before the next 'big' game appears, most probably Doom III.

Although if the pikeys complain about RTCW being hardware intensive, I somewhat doubt they'll be sticking around for Doom III. :(

M

MYstIC G

For realism afaic both of them get spanked by the v2 release of DoD, which quite frankly = lame :(

S

Sledge

RtCW is a breath of fresh air having come from Tribes, but the lack of maps on the Objective servers is starting to make it very repetitive (hint ;) ).

If they fix the MoH MP probs will probably look at that instead.

B

bigbb

We can't put maps in the cycle that people haven't got :)

N

nocte

well i will be getting MoH as i am a FPS freak, but i enjoy playing RtCW online (i thought the SP was too short, and well... shitty)

I think i will stick to RtCW for a good few months see if folk stay around for it as long as folk have for Q3, CS and UT.

Only time will tell i think.

But yea i agree with the pervious statements of not enough MP map on map cycles, but there are some good servers out there that are running custom maps on.

I belive there is a map pack out already so why does BW not set up 1 server with these custom maps?? I am sure the community would not mind 1 server being set for custom maps?? Or am i wrong?

B

bigbb

I've been considering a custom map server for a few days now. I'll look into it in more depth today/tomorrow, depending on your perspective.

S

Sledge

I see your point bigbb, the only Obj map missing is Village, any chance you putting it on :confused:

O

old.Anatoly

It definitely needs more official maps, and I agree that some of the classes should have armour to differentiate them further.

Also fixing some of the graphical bugs might be nice.

Unfortuantely I can see it dieing down, even now it doesnt seem as popular as when it first came out; the jolt and BW servers used to be permanently full although this may be due to having more servers available now.

I think it will just come down to the developers, if they keep it fresh with bug fixes, game balance changes, and most importantly new official maps then it has a fair chance otherwise it is all downhill from now :(

B

bigbb

I think that's the essence of the future in any multiplayer game, providing fresh content and challenges for the players.

It is inevitable that the game will become less popular from the release days, purely because of people who decide the game isn't for them and the initial excitement and novelty wearing off. It's the gamers who are in the for the long haul the developers should be looking to cater for.

I do feel an official map pack of some kind is long overdue and I hope ID/Nerve are going to address the other issues otherwise they could see this game plummet in terms of community size. And lets be honest, its in their interests to keep it popular.

C

.cage

An official map pack is definately needed in the long run, although at the moment clans and such are busy perfecting the release ones :)

G

Gangster No:1

Naahhhh

I spent a whole weekend at a LAN a few weeks back playing a ...ahem.... pre-release copy of MOH in MP mode. We had at least 10-15 people playing at any one time and played all the maps.

It does indeed suck harder than a £5 rent boy :(

Single player is excellent. But MP is really bad. It's far too slow, so slow in fact that it makes TFC look fast. :sleeping:

I reckon that RTCW will keep going. Especially if we get a lot more quality custom maps like those that are beginning to emerge. A patch containing a proper new set of skins for ALL nations involved in the conflict would be nice too. As would some new weapons, like a nice shotgun for indoor use ;)

B

bigfoot

I'll play devils advocate and suggest that MoH will appeal more to "DM" players because of the lack of a respawn wait, and although it has some weaknesses (like some of the maps and the way spawns work in MP with their change in location it seems) i found it a lot more addictive than RTCW, despite me also liking some things in RTCW.

C

.cage

I got hold of it this weekend, MOH that is.

It's shit.

Quelle surprise.

N

nocte

i too got MoH yesterday, all i can say is i am very impressed with the SP!!

i am gonna try the MP tonight to see what it is like

C

.cage

The SP is actually pretty good, but the MP is dm orientated, and i'd rather just fire up q3 or something for dm.

B

bigbb

DM based games tend to have a broader appeal though, so this could well play to favour with the future of the game.

N

nocte

that is true, but most of the folk here hail from the areas of HL, Quake and UT (i think) all of which have a DM aspect to it. So my guess is that peeps might be trying to get away from that into some good team games.

Just guessing really

T

throdgrain

Mmm, interesting point, but if you think about it CS is easily the most popular online game, and thats (basically!) a team game..

O

old.Redfive

I got moh the other day, and while the sp is really good, the mp is utter shite. The net coding feels weird, you dont know if your hitting the enemy, and the sniper rifles are far too good in it.

I think its the opposite with wolfy, the sp was utter shite but the mp is good, might have limited maps atm, but so did cs when that was first released. I tried dod 2 today and think that is a pile of poo anyway.

But yeah as someone said before I think both games are really a stop gap for quake 4, doom 3 or halo.

O

old.Redfive

I dont like the HL outdated engine. DoD 2 looks crap, feels crap and I didnt like it at all. Sorry :)

T

throdgrain

Sigh....... no accounting for taste I suppose :rolleyes: :p

S

ShockingAlberto

Wolf SP? Shit??!!

Blasphemous fool! Admitedly i'm only ~50% through, and i havent played it for a week or 2, but it's great. I'm currently in the XLab. Played it a little bit, but those dam X Creatures are too powerfull :/

Users who are viewing this thread