RSS Feed

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Can we have a forum RSS feed? Allowing those people with poncy desktop whotsits to see the latest topics live in whatever poncy desktop whatsit they happen to use?

I toyed with making a PHP script to do it (from the HTML output) on the old board, but never found time. I'm rather glad I didn't now - heh.

I don't know whether anyone else is remotely interested in this? I think it's a useful idea, but don't quote me on that...

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
I'm trying to think of a good example...

OK: You can get a desktop proggy that sits at the side of the screen and can display lots of useful/pointless information in equal proportion (or unequal, if you're the sort of person who likes to see their live CPU usage.. I digress:). One of the things they can display is news headlines. Websites like the BBC, The Reg etc have 'what's its' called RSS Feeds. They are a page of XML data, that contains the news headlines and taglines.
The aforementioned program reads this and displays the headlines for you to see, click on or ignore. 'Tis rather slick and clever.

An RSS feed for the forums would grab the latest 20 threads for your chosen forum, and spit them out in this "headline" form, so they get displayed and updated live on your desktop, most recent at the top.

/me hopes that made sense.

Will

/bin/su
The "new threads" would be 70% DAoC I'm afraid. They just outnumber the general forum dwellers too greatly.

I suppose it would be very handy for them though.;)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
Would work if there was a way to islote the Daoc forums and not have their threads count for anything at all.

Shovel

Can't get enough of FH
Aye, you could query a specific forum - or *not* query a specific forum :)

Whipped

Part of the furniture
I wrote a plugin for samurize that grabbed the latest threads from the General forum of the old GAME.NET. When I get home it should be quite easy to tweak it in order to work for FreddysHouse.
If people list what desktop programs they use then I'd be happy to knock some plugins out.

SheepCow

Bringer of Code
Or one of the admins could tick the "create rss feed" option in the admin :)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I have enabled the RSS and XML feed options within the forum software.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
https://forums.freddyshouse.com/external.php?type=rss

nifty :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom