rpg games

S

spacecowboy

Could someone please reccomend a good rpg online .thanks.

C

Cdr

Well, depending on what you mean by online.

Single player RPGs you can play online, there are a fair few (I dont know em all), but the best one I've found is Diablo 2.

There are also MMORPG, where your character is soley for online play. Here you have Ultima Online, Dark Age of Camelot, Asheron's Call, Everquest, and Star Wars Galaxies. There's also one based on the Final Fantasy franchise comming out fairly soon. I've only played UO, so I can only really comment on that one - and its not bad, although I have found it quite tedious and times, and don't play it any more.

I'm sure RPG buffs can point you in the direction of some more.

C

.Cask

It's difficult to recommend an online RPG as they all have serious flaws and usually people will only play one at a time (due to subscription fees and the amount of time they require) and only move on to another one when they're totally sick of the first so the new seems much better by comparison.

FFXI is the newest, I haven't tried it but it has its own forum and I expect someone will tell you about it. Joining a new RPG is probably easier than jumping into one full of vets where you're expected to know your stuff. Also finding friends will be easier as there will be many players looking for friends instead of most being in established social groups.

Advantage of joining an older RPG is mainly balance and content. The game will be running much more smoothly and there will be a bunch of expansions added to it. Also will be lots of high level players to help you level faster and give you gear if you're lucky.

I've been playing EverQuest on and off for about 4 years. It's a love-hate thing and quite honestly I wouldn't recommend it.

T

Tenko

You know from the reviews, the dreadful recent films and the fact that I hate the man who is behind the whole circus I'm rather pleased to say that Starwars Galaxies is a great roleplaying game.

In fact the one thing that it gets really right is the Roleplaying side (as compared to say Dark Age of Camelot which is heavily centred on combat).

The current realease of SWG is buggy, they haven't even got Vehicles in yet but it's surprisingly good. For those in the know the skill system is very similiar to the one in Ultima Online which is brilliant and the chat and emotion settings means that it's a roleplayers paradise.

If you like a fantasy game however go check out the Dark Age of Camelot forums on this site (they're quite big :p) They'll probably scare you off but the player base there is so big someone will really give you the good points on it (as compared to me, an ex-player who will just moan :))

P

PR.

Originally posted by Tenko
You know from the reviews, the dreadful recent films and the fact that I hate the man who is behind the whole circus I'm rather pleased to say that Starwars Galaxies is a great roleplaying game.

In fact the one thing that it gets really right is the Roleplaying side (as compared to say Dark Age of Camelot which is heavily centred on combat).

The current realease of SWG is buggy, they haven't even got Vehicles in yet but it's surprisingly good. For those in the know the skill system is very similiar to the one in Ultima Online which is brilliant and the chat and emotion settings means that it's a roleplayers paradise.

If you like a fantasy game however go check out the Dark Age of Camelot forums on this site (they're quite big :p) They'll probably scare you off but the player base there is so big someone will really give you the good points on it (as compared to me, an ex-player who will just moan :))

Follow up on that, I just had an email to let me know that Mounts and Player Cities are now in game!

C

Chameleon

If your into rpg's, daoc is a great game. But like most rpg's, only if you've got lots of time to play!!

E

Ekydus

DAoC have a huge community here, FFXI is new, nothing but positive feedback coming from it, and it also has a nice community here. I'd go FFXI over the aging DAoC, especially if you have played the FF series and enjoyed it.

However, FFXI doesn't allow PvP, so DAoC would be a good choice instead. Don't forget Planetside though. FPS/ RPG type game, may be more to your fancy.

C

Cdr

Originally posted by Ekydus
Don't forget Planetside though. FPS/ RPG type game, may be more to your fancy.

Oh yeah, well done, forgot about Planetside - not technically an RPG, there are RPG elements in it. Although the scope of the character building isn't as great as say something like Ultima. Well worth a play.

I did get bored of it tho - mainly cos I have a short attention spa...............hehe that dog has a puffy tail....hehehehehe......here puffy puffy......

E

ECA

been playing FFXI for a week and its really great.

solo'ing first couple of hours is boring but once you hit lvl6+ and start joining groups it gets really good fun.

Users who are viewing this thread