Routers

Moriath

I am a FH squatter

Depends on how much they are paying. I got virgin and a nighthawk router but its a few years old now and newer models are oit but its wifi is really good. i use the virgin router as a modem and switched off its wifi stuff and linked the nighthawk on as the house wifi provider and such.
asus do a good one but its expensive. The one looks like a space ship from a 80s tv series.

Bodhi

Once agreed with Scouse and a LibDem at same time
I've got one of the older Nighthawk AP's running wireless with my Sky Router in modem mode. Works really well. Covers the whole house and back garden, and hasn't needed reset in 2+ years now.

Got this one - WiFi Range Extender EX7000 | AC1900 | NETGEAR

Syri

FH is my second home
If the wifi is the only problem, you could just go for a mesh system, especially if you have a bigger house. Something like this one. Otherwise, the routers already mentioned will be fine and put the virgin box into modem mode.

Rubber Bullets

FH is my second home
I bought the Deco m9 plus two pack about a month ago having been toying with the idea for ages. Wish I'd done it sooner. Proper WiFi signal throughout the house now, all dead zones eliminated, and even extends a reasonable way into the garden. Very easy to set up, the trickiest bit was getting the Virgin hub to do what it's supposed to do, but that was a completely separate issue. On my experience I'd definitely recommend them.

DaGaffer

Down With That Sorta Thing
If the wifi is the only problem, you could just go for a mesh system, especially if you have a bigger house. Something like this one. Otherwise, the routers already mentioned will be fine and put the virgin box into modem mode.

Seems to be the same kind of money as the Nighthawk system I linked.

Embattle

FH is my second home
I've the Netgear Orbi mesh system, it just tends to work better than the traditional single router system. That is a good piece of kit for the price.

Syri

FH is my second home
Seems to be the same kind of money as the Nighthawk system I linked.
There are cheaper (and more expensive) systems, it was more of a suggestion for if you have a fairly large house. Even the most expensive router will struggle on wifi if the building is too big, so I just thought I'd offer it up as an option. I don't think the mesh systems handle things like dhcp though, so it'd only be viable if that side of the virgin hub is working anyway.

Wij

I am a FH squatter
I turned my Virgin modem/router to modem-only and paired it with this router which is fast and has range big enough that I don't need any extenders.

It has lighting too obvs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom