Routers with Advanced Settings

xane

Fledgling Freddie
Are there standard Router boxes out there, not made up ones, that allow a high degree of control over connections and the firewall ?

What I am talking about is being able to control connection time, throttle and restrict, by IP/MAC address.

Kryten

Old Cow.
There are, but mostly limited to the 1u rackmount style/size boxes rather than desktop cute-little-things-on-stands, and of course as a result you're going to be paying through the nose for the priviledge.

Try a google search for "fully managed routers" and you might get some more information than I can realistically give, however I do know you might be able to find a Cisco counterpart (also 1U size) for a fair price on ebay, ex corporate kit.
I'll keep my eyes open at work for something more specific, I generally just tell our customers "we've got so and so model" and they buy it ;)

xane

Fledgling Freddie
I'm a bit of a Netgear addict, most of my network is their stuff, they do a "business" level of Router, would this give me the features I need ?

Another nice addition would be a time server, so machines in the network could use the Router to sync time rather than an internet site.

Kryten

Old Cow.
/me bookmarks and makes notes - useful sites those, cheers.

Yaka

Part of the furniture
Welcome to DrayTek UK - Vigor Routers

We use these in work they go from a basic router to one with a full feature firewall and they are really easy to config. They are good kit.

i know someone who had his cble router fizzle out on him, they did next day pick up/drop off for him and gave him one of the uber expensive ADSL ones the make

soze

I am a FH squatter
i know someone who had his cble router fizzle out on him, they did next day pick up/drop off for him and gave him one of the uber expensive ADSL ones the make

Yeah they are really good. A few times i have had a problem and let a Techie remote control the router and had it sorted real fast. For a product that is not overly expensive the support is awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom