router setup

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
just setup my router and i noticed the connection to the internet is so slow i sometimes think the page isnt gonna load. even downloading files it only goes up 58kb/s ish. i am on a 600k connection and there is only 2 PCs.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
on a 600kb connection the max download speed you'll get will be around 70K/sec (allowing for overheads), so 58K/sec isn't bad considering. As it's a 600K connection I'd be guessing you're on a cable connex? (if in the UK that is). I know NTL use a transparent HTTP cache which basically means it fetches the pages and passes them on to you, that could be the cause of your slow websites.

tris-

thing is before i used to have them connected on x-over and i downloaded at around 75-80kb/s, thats on both PCs.

babs

Can't get enough of FH
When you say downloading files, what source/client are you using?

tris-

downloading through I.E from downloads.com downloading winzip before i got 75kb/s, now i get 50. kazza lite i used to get 50kb/s now i get 3

tris-

i also set my PC to be in the DMZ so its not going through the firewall or anything

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
on a true 600kbit line, taking overheads into accout, you should never see much beyond 70kbytes/sec - so I'd just consider yourself lucky you ever saw those speeds and continue to enjoy the fact that your 58kbytes/sec is still 14-15 times faster than anything Wilier can manage ;)

Xav

tris-

thats nowt, sometimes i got 85kb/s steady ;) only person on my greenbox to have a cable connection.

phlash

Fledgling Freddie
Does your router have any fancy bandwidth control? Perhaps it's trying to be clever and just getting in the way..

Also worth looking at the interface stats (cmd prompt: netstat -e) to check you don't have any errors. If you do then suspect bad cabling..

HTH,
Phlash.

tris-

my router is a belkin F5D230-4, nothing fancy its all simple, effective and to-the-point.

tris-

btw ium trying to send stuff through msn too and its going about 1kb/s, before the router it used to fly down. i really must be missing some setting but i cant see it :(

Quige

Fledgling Freddie
I don't know anything about the Belkin routers, by I take from what you said earlier about using a X-over cable you used to proxy via the one connected to the cable. Have you changed your TCP/IP settings to reflect that you have a new default gateway and made sure you're not using a proxy anymore?

Also I guess I would hook it all back up like you used to, and see if it goes back to the speeds you mentioned ... maybe you're not still the only one on your green box :)

I guess I have to ask as well, no offence, whether you're AV and anti-trojan defences are up to date ... maybe you have't as much bandwidth as you used to as something else is using it up. You could try running a packet sniffer like ethereal or packetyzer to see if anything odd is happening. Though it would be strange for that to happen at the same time as you get a new router I guess.

tris-

right this is exactly what happend.

1st minute - 2 pcs connected via x-over, top download speeds

2nd minute - disconnect everything, reconnect with router in place

3rd minute - configure router

4th minute - configure PCs to for DHCP

5th - minute everything is working

(im not jokin, it took 5 minutes to unplug it all and set it back up :p)

6th minute - download speeds halved

in those 6 minutes, i would be amazed if someone else got connected and my comp got infected with a trojan :D my AV is upto date.

Quige

Fledgling Freddie
It does sound unlikely ... especially as you're up to date with AV. Was just a thought as you hear these stories "I was installing XP and before the installation had finished I was infected" and never know how much credence to give them.

Without knowing what sort of settings you have available it's hard to know what else to suggest. Does the router have any content filtering options or do it's own AV? What DHCP options do you have ... just a range that it dishes out? What does it tell the clients to use for DNS. Does it have any settings for MTU size? That needs to be whatever your ISP supports.

I couldn't find the exact module you mentioned on Belkin's site, just the F5D5231-4.

They have a couple of pages like this that rather minimally gives some setup guidence for different ISP's

This is for NTL world apparently.
http://web.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=2875&langid=1

And there is this article;

FAQ: What can I do if I am unable to reach some web sites, get disconnected on a daily basis or if my Internet connection is slower when using the router?
http://web.belkin.com/support/kb/kb.asp?a=2625&langid=1

which basically says try a firmware update if available .. here; http://networking.belkin.com/update/index.html

If you are using NTL it is not unusual for their transparent proxies to go wonky. This site reckons in that case to explicitly use them in IE, or use another NTL proxy, which is better and gives you a better response. It details a list of known NTL proxies by name (and does the same for Blueyonder)

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/trancache.html

tris-

im gonna do firmware update, tomorrow will reconnect it the old way and test again. even msn is slow and i configured the ports for it :(

tris-

firmware updated, now kazza only downloads at 0.5kb/s, from people with 4000 bandwidth. websites and downloads from websites are now back to normal.

Quige

Fledgling Freddie
Well good that normal web and web downloads are back to normal ... I don't use Kazaa so I'm not really sure what to suggest. I take it you have set up the router to port forward the correct port (1214 by default?) to your IP on the internal LAN. ... though come to think of it you did mention you tried it set up in DMZ, so prob not that ... hmm.

Did you try it all back how you used to have it? and if so did things go back to 'normal' or not?

ICS isn't still enabled on either of the PC's is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom