Router problem, help plz

O

Old.Fanta

If im playing daoc with the router on if i go to RvR i got a ld always that i port to a keep or if i release. If i play with my modem it dont happen so i think its the router problem. Can u tell me why it is? I supose i dont have some ports of the router opened... could u tell me what i have to do to play with wireless router without having ld?

pd: soz for my english :/

Herjulf

Banned
Hardware or software router?

for all i know u stick a banana in the rj45 port and hope for the best.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Could be something like having to set it to respond to ping requests or some such (my router doesnt work with certain applications otherwise), but i honestly dont know. Best bet is probably to play around with the routers settings and see what works and doesnt.

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
wirleess or ethernet router if it is wireless router sometimes they can lose the connection due to lots of data going over it, happens to me if i want to transfer about 3gb of data, withs some other wireless routers its a lot less and it drops teh connection for a bit.

:m00:

O

Old.Fanta

hardware router and its wireless, well, i send the info to my other pc (router is coneccted in my pc) if it matters

Herjulf

Banned
Ok i dont know what brand it is etc. so ill just ramble a tad.

but be specific when you post and you might get more help.

The cheap friggin crap routers that are flocking like a giant tsunami over the world atm, threatening to give us all early deaths/grey hairs. will give you this behaviour.

D-link, netgear and (insert low budget name here) all have cache, tcp socket and/or overheating issues.
The TP cable to TP cable routers had begun to become a tad more stable when WLAN/WISI boomed. However atm the best you can do is to build your own router from a computer, its fairly cheap and easy and will give you more throughput + stability. Get a 2nd hand (factory brand computer low noise (dell, fujitsu, ibm etc) that can be bought for nothing.

If you want some relative ok quality hardware router turn to Linksys(cisco) or 3COM without exceptions. i suggest getting INTEL network cards all over your network if you can and you can use some of intels nifty functionalities. Especially if you use a quality brand, they usually have for example 8k headers implemented in gigabit networks.

What can you do with what you got?

Except using it as a strange object in the aquarium you can TRY to lock the WAN(internet) interface to 10Mbit FD to relieve some pressure. If it is possible to disable the CPU watchdog manually via terminal program or webinterface or telnet DO so. Cuz if router is under heavy load or bursted heavy loads it might be unresponsive for xxx millisec/cycles and watchdog resets and it reboots. and you get LD´s.

Some routers like netgear/D-link have socket problems, some connections utilise many sockets and some routers goes nuts from this.
Same happens often with people using Bittorrent.

Visit your router manufacturer homepage and visit the forums, and you will see that you are not alone.
And will learn that Herjulf is always right.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Herjulf is right methinks - crap quality and engineering is evident in my netgear router at least. As he says it will crap out on me if put under any sort of strain, like long periods of downloading or high bandwidth downloading, or when i use bittorrent (always have to reboot it like every 30 min when i use bittorrent). Definetly gonna get a better quality one next time i buy one. Dont much enjoy the idea of a dedicated routercomp though since that is another source of noise/heat etc when you live in a small apartement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom