Router NAT Firewall problem with DAOC

O

old.Biffsmash

Hi,

I have a Linksys EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch, which is. as far as I am conserned, installed correctly and configured correctly.

This router has a build in NAT firewall.

MY internet connection is absolutely fine for browsing and downloading files.

I am having short periods where I get really nasty lag spikes in DAOC which I believe are caused by the router.

I have tried playing daoc without the router plugged in when I have been having the problems, and without the router I do not have the problem.

I believe these lag spikes are caused by the firewall as I have read that it "analises(sp)" incoming data before allowing it through, and apparently this can hamper the performance in some applications like online games or MSN etc.

Does anyone know anything about configuring these routers to allow daoc to play corectly without this lag, as when it happens, It can quite easily kill my group if i'm healing etc, with moments of lag for up to 5 seconds when i can't do anything.

I will even turn the firewall off if anyone knows how this is done :)

I have looked at the manual and the FAQ and support info on several sites but can't quite get the hang of it all ;(

Hope anyone can help.

Cheers

biff.

C

Cyradix

The firewall in your router should not give you any performance problems. The actions being performed on the data going through your router take mere milliseconds.

Maybe your problem is caused by a faulty port on your router.
It can also be caused by bad firmware.

Try switching ports and check the linksys website for a newer version of the firmware.

O

old.Biffsmash

Happened with the router i bought before it which also had NAT firewall. The original router i had which was a cheap Belkin one which didnt have a NAT router did not cause any lag at all :(

I have tried with only my pc connected to the router and all ports and I have the same trouble :(

Microsofts site as well as Linksys's sites say that NAT Firewalls can cause adverse affects with games and seems thats what i'm getting :(

Think I will return the Belkin one without receipt and hope they fix it as like I said above that one had no firewall and also caused no lag :(

BAH!

ps: I upgraded the firmwear on the one i had before and that didnt help either btw

But I thank you for your advice and wish it was the problem :(

edit: have enabled DMZ mode which from what I read, disables any filtering/firewall and seems to of fixed da prob woot :)

D

Deadmanwalking

Ah well i was about to suggest DMZ :p

Anouther option is to find the ports DAOC uses and get ur router to forward them all to ur internal IP.

On that note, i wouldn't recommend having it left on DMZ all the time. For security reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread