Router advice needed

Formia

Fledgling Freddie
My Safecom router has died after only 4 months , think its due to overheating.
I want to buy a replacement - I use BT 2 meg DSL , and need to connect 3 comps to it. Dont need wireless.

Dont want another safecom product due to this being pants.
I want it to be super easy to setup - major source of annoyance for me being a n00b to configure crap.

Tempted by this ,
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=ELEC&title=615584&p=298&g=383&pa=stgts9
Belkin 802.11g Wireless Cable/DSL Internet Gateway Router

Any suggestions?

liloe

It's my birthday today!
using D-Link router atm. It was the cheapest in store, I was LOM (low on money that is =) ) and it looks shit.....but it works well and is indeed easy to configure =)

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
I'm using Linksys lately. Had a few Netgear and they seem to fuck up a lot (for me at least).

Bahumat

FH is my second home
I have a Linksys router WAG54G v2 and i almost slit my throat in frustration setting up a WIFI.

All i can say is this, find a router and type it in google, you will only get the CONS of the product as no one can be bother to post the PRO's. Which ever router has the least cons...thats your item :)

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
I have a Linksys router WAG54G v2 and i almost slit my throat in frustration setting up a WIFI.

you dont play a warlock do you.. :) its not rocket science...:fluffle:

:m00:

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:

All i can say is this, find a router and type it in google, you will only get the CONS of the product as no one can be bother to post the PRO's. Which ever router has the least cons...thats your item :)

So, so simple to set up. I even have a Linksys access point repeating the wireless signal to extend the range...worked a treat with no problems.

Plug in, set network key, set DHCP, input adsl settings and hey presto.

Bahumat

FH is my second home
my issue was with the signal dropping every few minutes, then going back to 70%+, i did make a post here and was pretty much told things i had already tried. DHCP settings, beacon signal's G signal or both, static ip's...the list goes on.

checked online and found its a piece of hardware where the firmware was no longer supported, the helpdesk were in the filipines with no skills whatsoever, also people who could crack the enigma code could not get it working for long.

oh and as for you scorge, if you could sort the problem i had i would actually paypal you £50.00

i did not just plug it in and go "uggh its not working" i changed every setting numerous times" i read tons of forums devoted to that piece of crap.

if your truly as shit hot with these as you think you are do the following.

www.google.com
*type Linksys wag54g v2*

read a couple of people's problem's, once you read through the 5 pages of suggestions that DONT work for anyone, you come back here and tell me how to fix it.

Your either the Steven fucking Hawkins of Networks or your some guy with a bit of knowledge who thinks he's all that!

eggy

Fledgling Freddie
I have called Linksys support for a different product, and their product support was in the UK.

Maybe you got a dud one - happens with all brands.

In fact, I've had Netgear, D-Link and Belkin all fail before. Our Netgear one at work is shite.

Helme

Resident Freddy
Only tip I can give you is, stay away from Netgear.

Littlle Git

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat, its Hawking, not Hawkins. I am having router problems atm too, my gf wants wireless on laptop but it isnt fast enough for me to play (having same prob as bahu with it dropping to 10% speed and then going back to full)

My main prob is i dont know anything about networks or routers, tbh i cant even tell you what one i have, but i know that i have my modem plugged into the phone line thing, and then an ethernet cable from that to the router, its such a pain, i need someone to tell me what one i can buy with wireless for laptop and LAN for me, and i need them to intal it too :S

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
i have 2 barricade ones atm, one is rooter and other is just a switch. funny thing is i cant conf the rooter :p it just wount complete it.

and so i use it only as a switch atm. have to work whit it.

i have a few netgear ones but they are only 10mbit (OMG), but wount over heat.

Agent Davidov

Fledgling Freddie
Had a netgear router plugged into my cable modem - kept dropping connection. Replaced it with a cheaper D-Link router and all was well. DI-604 iirc.

My Netgear (WAP54g?) wireless access point works fine but I had problems when I had 2 wireless PCs next to each other (reception would drop on each even thou the WAP was in the same room.)

In my experience the only tricky thing about setting up wireless is working out if the WEP key needs to be in ASCII or HEX

Comos

Loyal Freddie
Get a Linksys.
Upgrade your firmware to the latest version. (Every router is still supported)
And enjoy the best router you could ever have <period>

ps:you will have a lot of trouble setting it up for WiFi and wired if you are not familiar with the following terms:

DHCP server
WEP / WPA encryption
PPPoE and PPPoA for ADSL
Port Forwarding also known as Virtual Server
NAT
AP / infrastructure mode
802.11g/b , mixed mode

scorge

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
oh and as for you scorge, if you could sort the problem i had i would actually paypal you £50.00

if yo still have problems and can give me more details will be happy to help :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Comos said:
Get a Linksys.
Upgrade your firmware to the latest version. (Every router is still supported)
And enjoy the best router you could ever have <period>

ps:you will have a lot of trouble setting it up for WiFi and wired if you are not familiar with the following terms:

DHCP server
WEP / WPA encryption
PPPoE and PPPoA for ADSL
Port Forwarding also known as Virtual Server
NAT
AP / infrastructure mode
802.11g/b , mixed mode

btw if you buy a linksys and get problems you should pester this guy, he helped me alot even if i did end up turning to the wired side :)

Bahumat

FH is my second home
scorge said:
if yo still have problems and can give me more details will be happy to help :)

https://forums.freddyshouse.com/showthread.php?t=175976

scorge said:
depends on the firmware i think , but it can crash and lose the internet connection under heavy load, e.g. big patches :-(

read comments and weep :-(

http://www.wifi-warehouse.co.uk/product.asp?pr=WAG54G

this might help though.. :)

http://www.linksysinfo.org/modules.p...iewtopic&t=769

Tried putting pc next to the adsl modem with signal strength 97%, still drops the signal for a few seconds and this happend roughly every 5 minutes.

thought maybe appliances would be causing interfernce but switched the whole house off and it still happens.

Tsabo

Fledgling Freddie
Belkin are a pretty good choice. But this is coming from someone who works on the PC World Call Centre <Hangs head in shame>

Kaun_IA

Fledgling Freddie
Bahumat said:
Tried putting pc next to the adsl modem with signal strength 97%, still drops the signal for a few seconds and this happend roughly every 5 minutes.

thought maybe appliances would be causing interfernce but switched the whole house off and it still happens.

yeah have seen that. but at school i have a roxx connection. allmost 100% enywhere and only 2 different routers are used. the second one is crap, so i only connect to one.

about 50 laptops are conneted to it and still works fine. at the start of the year we had some serious problems for ppl droping off if more than 10 where connected bu they managed to fix that.

mybe whit your router/modem has some internal problems !!!
dunno much about routers, more of a computer interiour knowladge guy :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom