Impressed Romania

Killswitch

FH is my second home
I've been exiled to Eastern Europe for 2 weeks by my evil overlord and I'm working out of the office in Iasi, Romania. I wasn't sure what to expect weather-wise but it seems that if I wanted to be any hotter I'd need to go to somewhere like Baghdad or Riyad. I think it's been 35 celcius or more every day so far.

Anyway, on Saturday I took a trip with some of my employees to some weird tourist destinations including a salt mine (complete with church carved right out of the salt, an internet cafe and a basketball court), the top of a mountain, a giant dam and a bar where we played quite possibly the most incompetent game of 10-pin bowling in the history of the universe (the winning score was, I think, 77).

I can highly recommend Romania as a tourist destination. The food is crazy cheap to the point where I've struggled to find a main course that costs more than about five quid. The weather has been incredible and the area surrounding Iasi is spectacular, especially if you like mountains and old churches and monasteries and suchlike.

I took a load of picture, but I have a pretty piss-poor compact that didn't really do the scenery justice. I've put a few favourites up here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bordersquirrel/sets/72157630928309888/

and there are lots more of out-of-focus, pitch-black or otherwise rubbish pics here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bordersquirrel/sets/72157630917517406/

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Watch out for the packs of stray dogs roaming the streets. And the beggars are a pain too.

I was in Bucharest a few years back, bloody roasting it was. Cheap though.

Killswitch

FH is my second home
Watch out for the packs of stray dogs roaming the streets. And the beggars are a pain too.

I was in Bucharest a few years back, bloody roasting it was. Cheap though.

I've used the old "headphones" trick to keep the majority of the beggars away. The big scary beard I grew for the occasion may also be helping as it reinforces my already somewhat fearsome aspect. I've only noticed one or two dogs together and they seem docile enough, but I shall keep my eyes peeled. Thanks for the warning!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom