Rogue?

Geuin

Fledgling Freddie
Would really like to play Rogue, have some thoughts about it tho...

1.How uber are they, i dont wanna start lvl one and then get a BIG nerf smashed straight in my face.I can handle a nerf, but not from a good group member to a stealther soloer who get pwned 24/7.

2.Do they have a spot in a fg? And why.

3.Solo, good or bad?(PvE)

4.How should i spec my talents?

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
1) No class is particularly 'uber' in WoW, they are pretty well balanced overall, although in particular circumstances one will better the other as in any game.

2) Yes, they do decent damage and are considered a 'medium tank'.

3) Any WoW class can solo pretty well.

4) Don't ask me ;)

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Jupitus said:
2) Yes, they do decent damage and are considered a 'medium tank'.

You forgot their desirability as pullers, 'Sap' is an awesome ability for pulling and shouldn't be underestimated just because it's not traditional 'ranged pulling'
But yes, they make reasonable tanks with nice damage output. I have had one person complain because he was in a group with my Rouge - but he was also complaining the Priest was a n00b because he wasn't CCing :eek7:

As for talents, don't think of them like you would the DAoC skill system. It's different from the "you must spec this to get that" approch DAoC takes, in the majority of cases they will only boost abilities you already have. But it is by no means a make or break system.
There are a few instances where you'll gain an ability from 'speccing' highly in a particular talant-line but at current there is not right or wrong way to go about it.

Still, if it helps here's a cute little Talent Calc. which gives more detail on what each talent will give you.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Hey Arch :)

Please can you get with the flow and spell it 'Rogue' around here?

Thanks,

Jup.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
You want a good solo PvE class, play a Warrior or a Hunter. Don't expect the Warrior to be any good solo PvP though. Rogue probably isn't so good at solo PvE(I'm assuming, I don't know this for a fact) but it's a great solo PvP class for obvious reasons.

Talents do kind of matter, not at low levels though. I got to 20+ without spending 1 point, now I'm putting all into fury and arms since I hear that protection Warriors are buggy and gimped... even moreso than the arms/fury ones.. Your character can be "broken" by your trainer at any time if you don't like how you've specced anyway, this basically means that you get all of your talent points back at a price. The downside is that the price goes up every time you do it.

Erm, I'm answering your questions in the wrong order but whatever... I've never actually seen a rogue turned away from a group just for being a rogue... yet. Mainly groups will ask specifically for Priests/Warriors/Mages/Tanks/Healers or whatever, but you will still be picked up by groups. I haven't noticed any hate towards rogues in groups yet.

Yes. I am finished pretending that I know anything about the game now.

Oh and there are no talks of nerfs yet. Only thing that is being changed in the near future is the Warrior being buffed up a bit, due to all the whining on the yank WoW forums about it being shit in PvP. Naturally all the Paladins/Rogues replies are "Well you are good in PvE". Hahahaha.

Evoknox

Fledgling Freddie
Well, IMO rogue is the best PvE class next to a hunter. Supermassive DPS (most DPS in the game, situational), and you can always escape using sprint wich only has a 5 min cooldown (you shouldn't come in a life-threatening situation more than once every 5 minute anyways).

Rogues are pretty much top of the foodchain too really, if a rogue get's to jump on you and he knows what he's doing, 90% of the time you'll loose. I won't say they're overpowered and need to get nerfed, but they're very very strong PvP classes.

Louster

One of Freddy's beloved
Dillinja said:
You want a good solo PvE class, play a Warrior or a Hunter. Don't expect the Warrior to be any good solo PvP though. Rogue probably isn't so good at solo PvE(I'm assuming, I don't know this for a fact) but it's a great solo PvP class for obvious reasons.
I've tried a load of classes and rogue is the one I've stuck with, mainly because, no, they really are quite good at solo PvE. When taking on equal-level mobs, I have literally no downtime. I can kill slightly-below-equal level elites (usually) and up to 3 equal level normals at once due to talents like evade and such, and, though this varies between types of enemy, can take on mobs 2 or 3 levels above me with relative ease. This is at level 25.

I dunno. It might well be that rogues are too powerful.

Archeon

Fledgling Freddie
Dillinja said:
Talents do kind of matter

Yeah, I didn't exactly word that very well looking back. What I was trying to say was that they don't matter as much as skillpoints in the DAoC system (since that seems to be the running comparasion) - you won't break your character if you don't get XX, or YY like you could in DAoC.

Jupitus said:
Please can you get with the flow and spell it 'Rogue' around here?

What and lose my status as an individual? Here's a better idea, if everyone starts spelling "Rogue" as "Rouge" we won't have this problem will we? :p

Geuin

Fledgling Freddie
Thx for all nice answers. One more question for ya. How to spec my talents for PvP(group). I means some styles are stealth bases...and how good is that FGvsFG :p

Acercerak

Fledgling Freddie
If you use the talent calculator for which Archeon posted the link, you can also find templates there :)

I'll send you my template. I'm not saying it's a good one though, just one I'm experimenting with. Feel freeto comment upon it :p

Ceryseth

Fledgling Freddie
Evoknox said:
Well, IMO rogue is the best PvE class next to a hunter. Supermassive DPS (most DPS in the game, situational), and you can always escape using sprint wich only has a 5 min cooldown (you shouldn't come in a life-threatening situation more than once every 5 minute anyways).

I seem to find that 90% mobs will daze u hehe.

Sanzor

Fledgling Freddie
Evoknox said:
Rogues are pretty much top of the foodchain too really, if a rogue get's to jump on you and he knows what he's doing, 90% of the time you'll loose. I won't say they're overpowered and need to get nerfed, but they're very very strong PvP classes.

So did the lvl 41 rogue think, when he backstabbed my lvl 42 warrior. Needless to say he died in 3 hits due to his dodging. 90% of the time makes no sense to me. Many other classes that know what they are doing, can counter most Rogue abilities aswell.

SoWat

Loyal Freddie
He died because of his dodging? Not sure I understand that... and if he died in 3 hits he must be wearing paper for armour. Given the circumstances, and all else being equal, he should have dropped you without too much trouble. Obviously he doesn't know his class and you do know yours.

I play a rogue myself, and like most classes it's deadly if you play it right. Just backstabbing someone and tanking it out won't get you very far.

I do see a lot of badly played rogues, but I've also seen some very well played ones, and they are nothing short of deadly.

The key is to use all the tricks available, including potions, poisons, vanish, blind and cheap shot, assessing what to spend combo points on is also a big factor (do you DoT, stun, hit or reduce armour... each situation is different).

The only class that I'm wary of taking on is the Mage... just screw up one move and they have you.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
A rogue dodging is a warrior's dream, simply because it leaves them open for overpower. This is great because with only 2 talent points in improved overpower you can get a 50% chance of crit every time you use it which means 50% of the times that the rogue dodges they are leaving themselves open for a crit (assuming that the warrior has enough rage to perform overpower).

This is probably the main reason why well played warriors can kill most rogues.

k9awya

Can't get enough of FH
pressing the overpower button doesnt make a warrior "well played"

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
That's not what I said. I meant that it's a major contributing factor to what makes a well-played warrior able to kill a rogue(i.e. without it the warrior wouldn't stand much of a chance). Obviously using overpower alone isn't going to kill a rogue, unless they dodge every swing(in which case you probably wouldn't have enough rage generated to use it anyway).

Acercerak

Fledgling Freddie
Dillinja said:
That's not what I said. I meant that it's a major contributing factor to what makes a well-played warrior able to kill a rogue(i.e. without it the warrior wouldn't stand much of a chance). Obviously using overpower alone isn't going to kill a rogue, unless they dodge every swing(in which case you probably wouldn't have enough rage generated to use it anyway).

Ehm...that's true for every class, not only for warrior. I mean, every class can defeat any other class. It's not the class in itself that matters, but the player behind the keyboard.

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
Acercerak said:
Ehm...that's true for every class, not only for warrior. I mean, every class can defeat any other class. It's not the class in itself that matters, but the player behind the keyboard.

Erm, this is an RPG. Class matters just as much as the skill of the player, if not more.

I don't see how using overpower against rogues can be "true for every class", anyway.

Platin

Fledgling Freddie
Let's be clear on this, the rogue is the current godmode class of this game. Chain stun and superhigh dps with the ability to stealth, I'm just thankfull that they didn't get complete cc-immunity with charge ability :mad: .

machine989

Fledgling Freddie
Nerfbat ala laxe inc.

Druids ---> better future, will prolly get love patch after patch after patch.

Just my 2 million $.

Athinz

Fledgling Freddie
hey all.. well i personally dont think rogue's are over powered at all..
my 22mage has beaten a similar/same level rogue down quite easily a few times... its all about the playing

i've only been ganked by more than 1 horde rogue so far :p so thats yet to be tested

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
Athinz said:
my 22mage has beaten a similar/same level rogue down quite easily a few times... its all about the playing

i've only been ganked by more than 1 horde rogue so far :p so thats yet to be tested

Rogues dont get all their toys till 34. Blind/Cheapshot/Kidney Shot/gourge/kick/vanish/Piosons to cut casting speed in half/snares to stop you running away. Even if it goes bad in a fght for a rogue, he has so many toys to get him out of the fight without a death.

Geuin

Fledgling Freddie
have done alot of duels, my lvl 25 rogues takes warlocks/mages 4+ lvls over her. so they are vry good. OP...well maybe...but not if u compare with shaman ^^

machine989

Fledgling Freddie
Geuin said:
have done alot of duels, my lvl 25 rogues takes warlocks/mages 4+ lvls over her. so they are vry good. OP...well maybe...but not if u compare with shaman ^^

just rolled undead rogger on däggerspine.

perheps I should pick druid instead. dont want to x-perience 1.62 again.

arawem

Loyal Freddie
Evoknox said:
if a rogue get's to jump on you and he knows what he's doing, 90% of the time you'll loose. I won't say they're overpowered and need to get nerfed, but they're very very strong PvP classes.

I dont believe, due to my own experience, that rogues win 90% of the time, or maybe is just that i was lucky. If they DO win 90% against any class, then they ARE overpower and need a nerf. Strongly believe blizzard dont want a 90% win against everything class in wow.

Balthus

Fledgling Freddie
Only fought a few duels and a couple of horde with Lelith my 20 NE rogue.
The duels were vs a gnome warlock who was 3 lvls higher and he got his ass handed to him because of gouge and kicks interupting casting.He just kept on trying to cast as soon as the stun wore off and i kicked him again and stunned building up a nice combo dot collection and when the finishing move hit him for 204 he went down like a sack of spuds.
Tried the same trick on a 29 undead caster and lost,but it was pretty close,he won thx to the spell that made me keep running off outa control (fear is it?) i had him down to under a quarter hps and had all 5combo dots rdy to fire off a finishing move but he made me run off an nuked me :(
Tried to take on a 23undead shammy wheni was a lvl18 and would have wonbuthe turned me into a sheep,i was laughing so hard i missed turning back and got frozen,dotted and nuked lol

Platin

Fledgling Freddie
Athinz said:

That brings me to another subject: mages.... oO

bult

Loyal Freddie
Rogue will probably get a nerf in some future patch, all chain CCing run a big risk of getting a nerf if you ask me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom