Road Legal Quads

Laddey

FH is my second home
So i'm gonna invest in a road worthy quad bike for the summer.

What do i need to look at? Like what CC do i want the quad to be? What valve? What make etc? anybody have any experience with quads/bikes?

Also...Does anybody know where's best to invest?

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
No idea. Start off having a good look online for whats out there, reading the FAQs, and check out the forums. Speak to anyone you know who has one. Chat to local dealers.

Invest in a good safety helmet is the only practical advice I can offer (always buy from new - never get a 2nd hand one - might look all new on the outside, but its the protective foam on the inside that matters - if thats damaged, you might as well wear a shoe box on your bonce!).

Laddey

FH is my second home
Thanks Lamp. Its not necessary to wear a helmet as it has 4 wheels but I sure as hell will be wearing one after the things I've heard about.

Its just for a bit of fun so not sure what insurance prices etc are just hoping one of FH members will own or have owned one.

GimmlyThe3rd

Banned
Can't offer much advice as i'm not in the UK or owned one in the UK, but road legal ones are epic fun too. Don't worry too much about getting a good epic, think that breaks is your neck.

I use to like riding Subaru 400CC ATV, but due to ATVs being illegal on man road here. I get fed up of bribeing to use it but they fucking good fun. Will run you 8-10k+ for a monster here though

Raptor / eton / atv / go kart some cool ATVs here but not in the uk.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Can't offer much advice as i'm not in the UK or owned one in the UK, but road legal ones are epic fun too. Don't worry too much about getting a good epic, think that breaks is your neck.

I use to like riding Subaru 400CC ATV, but due to ATVs being illegal on man road here. I get fed up of bribeing to use it but they fucking good fun. Will run you 8-10k+ for a monster here though

Raptor / eton / atv / go kart some cool ATVs here but not in the uk.
Thanks dude will have a look when I'm not on my phone
I got a road leagel quad its called a car !!

I have one of those aswell...infact I have two and each of them are as boring as the next!

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Invest isnt the right word. They dont hold thier money at all. A better word would be "loose" :)

Gumbo

FH is my second home
Why??

They don't do anything well, apart from cart hay bales up hills for farmers.

Get a bike for biking, or a car for, er car-ing.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
There's basically two types, the farmer one with, low ratio gearboxes, limited slip diffs, four wheel drive and loads of racking or the racer boy type with low profile tyres, 2 wheel drive with either fixed or open diff and gearing designed for road use.
To me they're just the worst of both worlds, you can't get past the traffic like a motorbike and you still get piss wet through in the rain, the road versions are utter shite offroad as well, because the the wheel spacing doesn't match any of the ruts out there.
They have'nt been legal in the UK for vey long, I think it was the tyres, too low pressure or something, but I would regard them as the most dangerous of all fun vehicles, except trikes, which were banned.

Ezteq

Queen of OT
sorry dude but they are waaaay low on the cool'o'meter. Unless you are off roading and can have fun whizzing about in sand dunes and things, that's great but seeing people riding them on roads...just looks a bit sad and makes me think of Adam Sandler riding his lawnmower in the movie the waterboy :(

Trem

Not as old as he claims to be!
Quad on the road = insta-death.

If one of the tyre pressures is slightly down on the others it will handle like a turd. Not to mention they don't go around corners well at the best of times.

Get a motorbike.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Cheers for your input n all.

I wouldn't be driving it in the rain i'd look a proper twat if i did.

Its purely for summer.

You'd look a tawt riding through a nice area where there isnt many people driving round on quads true.

But people have quads round here. There are cruises for quads, like 100+ people all turn up on quads and show off and shit.
It can also be a hobby, learning how to repair and modify the mechanical parts on it. As i havn't a clue how even a clutch works, i would find it interesting.

Twat or no twat, i appreciate your opinions chaps but....

2011 SHINERAY XY350ST-E 350CC ATV ROAD LEGAL QUAD BIKE | eBay UK

TdC

Trem's hunky sex love muffin
two grand?

dr tdc says: go on holiday with teh lady for that kind of cash bro 0o

throdgrain

FH is my second home
Suppose you could say the same about a car!

Sorry I forgot about this thread. I'm a bike dealer and have had some experience with quads too. They really do loose money - secondhand ones are pretty hard to sell.

Laddey

FH is my second home
Sorry I forgot about this thread. I'm a bike dealer and have had some experience with quads too. They really do loose money - secondhand ones are pretty hard to sell.
Cool thanks for the info.

I've been looking at getting them brand new 11 plates. 250cc for around £2500.

I have no interest in cars or bikes but i'd like to learn about basic mechanics. I was also thinking of a jet ski

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
+ insurance and tax .. what does it cost to insure one of those on the road anyhow

eksdee

FH is my second home
Once saw some mouth breathers with one of these things outside work showing off, the guy driving had a guy sat on the back and decided to do a wheely as he drove off, at which point mouth breather number two summarily fell off the back. We all had a good laugh, which is about the only encounter I've had with these things which wasn't a) dangerous for everyone including the driver and b) incredibly irritating.

If you want to learn about mechanics, why not do it with something useful like your car or work van? Similarly with showing off mates etc, there's plenty of scope to make your car look more 'impressive' and loads of people enjoy that too. Quads are just a joke to everyone but the tits that ride them and they are flat out dangerous.

Laddey

FH is my second home
You may be swaying me away from the idea!

Laddey

FH is my second home
Dear lord....

If you're going to actually get an ATV (why?!?!?!), DON'T BUY SOME CHINESE SHITE! Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, KTM. All good. Chinese? All bad.
Whats so bad about them?

Whats a good brand?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom