Rise of Nations

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
Has anyone got this game and is it any good? Most of the reviews for it are fantastic but I could do with an opinion from someone here. I haven't played a strategy game that I've really enjoyed in years and I'm thinking of getting this one, just want to know if it's worth getting.

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I've always had a soft spot for games like this. What tends to hold them back is the fixed technology tree. If they had about 1000 upgrades per civilisation, but you couldn't choose all of them, it would keep you going back again and again to try new ways of dominating.

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
i bought medieval total war today which is pretty good, although quite hard.

you can get medieval and the viking invasion expansion for £25

Mishy

One of Freddy's beloved
Tried it some time ago, didnt really like it since it passes through the different time periods too quickley so you dont really get the feel for them, and then turns into a red alert (kinda!) type game, as all the units are all futuristic.

There is a trial version available

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
I completed Shogun & Medieval a long time ago tris. :) Both great games. Need something new now though!

I've tried the demo Mish, not enough to tell me whether I'll like the game once I get into it though.

I suppose I'll just buy it and refund it if it's shit.

tookha

Fledgling Freddie
I've only heard good things about Rise of Nations.
A friend of mine played it constantly for a couple of months and from what i have seen it's somewhat a mix by Civilisation (sp?) and Age of Empires gameplay.
(with the battles being more like Age of Empires, quite naturally)

tris-

Failed Geordie and Parmothief
dillinja if you completed it, can you please tell me exactly what provincial titles do and how you use them etc?

Dillinja

Can't get enough of FH
I think I know what you're talking about. The things that you can drop onto a general's unit.

All they do really is increase a general's loyalty, best used for guys who are in charge of a large army of well-trained soldiers. Low loyalty is not only bad for the battlefield, it could cause a small rebellion or could even end up sparking off a civil war, and then the shit really hits the fan.

Basically, just right click on your units now and again to check their loyalty, neglecting this could prove fatal. If a general is in need of a loyalty boost, simply drag and drop one of these titles onto his unit and it will increase. You can only use a title once though so use them wisely.

Rulke

Can't get enough of FH
The titles are a great help. Basically in every province you should keep 1 unit who you've made governer/duke/prince of that province. Select the units carefully though cos it has a big impact on the province.
Acumen - Keeping a lord with high acumen in a zone will increase the income there, get a good unit with 7+ acumen for those uber farm zones like flanders, egypt etc.
Piety - Basically increases happiness in provinces if they have 4+, less than that can have a negative impact.
Dread - Not sure, think it can help prevent rebellions
Loyalty - Not so much to do with the province, but low loyalty generals may turn against the king and if they have a big enough army this can lead to civil war. The funny thing about this is you can side with the rebels vs the king ^^
Remember you have to keep the province's lord in the zone to gain the benefit.

Building Chancellrys, Constable's Palace and stuff gives you "1 off" titles, just dump em on a good general or governer.

PS, you can remove titles by dropping an emissary on the unit, though it will lower that general's loyalty cos he's a bit miffed at you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom