Riot sentencing

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
I also tend to view that those rioting and looting probably didn't expect this kind of crack down following it, even I wasn't that sure the police would actually want to possibly stoke the flames again.

sorry but thats pathetic

you dont do it cos its WRONG, not based on whether or not you think you can get away with it, jesus.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
Unless you're criminally inclined, then that becomes one of the major factors in it ;)

Ch3tan

I aer teh win!!
sorry but thats pathetic

you dont do it cos its WRONG, not based on whether or not you think you can get away with it, jesus.

No, you aren't understanding human nature mate. There is a great stat (yes it's a stat, but it's widely accepted). 10% will never steal. 10% will always steal. 80% will still if they are given the opportunity and do not believe they will be caught.

Knowing it's wrong doesn't stop people in lots of situations, not only theft.

Thanks for sensible post Emb.

With the sentencing, I'd like come consistency, lots of examples in the press of wildly differing sentencing so far. Also I really want the courts to not expose the tax payer to appeals and compensation. Get the sentence right the first time.

Mabs

no i know full well that people do that, but it isnt any kind of defence/excuse

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
We need shorter sentences with solitary confinement, where you only meet good role models, respectable members of your family who want to help and guidance officers, you shouldn't get to see or hear a single other prisoner, you could halve sentences and they would have a much greater effect.
1 year staring at your boots is much better than 2 years hanging around with scumbags, learning the tricks of the trade.

Himse

FH is my second home
I saw an article on sky news that 'their human rights' are being infringed.. They lost their human rights when they decided to trash their own town in my opinion.

Prison is a punishment, you shouldn't go in and be able to watch endless amounts of TV and play ps3 all day. Maybe that's an extreme case but you're there to be punished. They could be doing alot more education rather than just going to and from prison.

Job

The Carl Pilkington of Freddyshouse
We knew a scallywag from a rough end of Liverpool and he was the stereotypical scouser, he was knicking Yorkshire paving stones and someone called the Police so they turn up and he legs it over alleyway walls, he falls head first off one and totals himself, but get's away.
So her comes back the next day and photographs the disturbed paving stones he did himself and claims 2300 quid off the council...you almost have to laugh.
Luckily a few years later he stole someone's clapped out motorbike and the coppers just knocked him off in the chase, he spent the next year in prison picking road rash scabs off.

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
If looked at from a completely neutral perspective, what do you lot think would be an appropriate, fair, you know, punishment for inciting stuff?

Might be alone here, but 4 years seems an awful lot for what is basically "We should burn sh*t down", lark or noi lark at the time.

I'm thinking something like 6 months would put any, who aren't habbit criminals already, in a position(har) where they would think twice about cooking stuff like this up.

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
If looked at from a completely neutral perspective, what do you lot think would be an appropriate, fair, you know, punishment for inciting stuff?

Might be alone here, but 4 years seems an awful lot for what is basically "We should burn sh*t down", lark or noi lark at the time.

I'm thinking something like 6 months would put any, who aren't habbit criminals already, in a position(har) where they would think twice about cooking stuff like this up.

For stealing? Community service and a fine.

Forcing an entry/braking in and stealing? Prison sentence 3 month's up to 2 years.

Setting a building on fire? Let's start by 10 to 15 years...

Corran

Part of the furniture

incitement needs to be dealt with harshly.

why?

Well lets say I try to incite a riot.
Im successful, 200 people meet up and go on a rampage.
The riot causes £50million damage to private property, £10m in policing costs.
£20m of items are stolen.
5 people are killed.
20 officers injured, police dogs injuried/maimed/killed
etc etc.

The incitement that starts with it needs to be dealt with harshly... and if attempted and fails it still should be dealt with in the same manner because if successful the outcome could have been disasterous.

BTW, the riots didnt affect me due to living in Scotland, I just feel that examples must be set to stop this happening again.... and dont forget that the riots could even lead to much worse situations then seen.

Lets say someone manages to start a riot during the london olympics. This pulls massive amount of police away from the protection duties assigned. Terrorists use this destraction to successfully launch a massive attack at a stadium/olympic village etc etc.

Ormorof

FH is my second home
true but you dont get the same sentence for "attempted" murder as you do for actual murder either... (which i never really understood)

Lazarus

Part of the furniture
we had a problem a while ago in Glasgow with razor gangs running about slashing peoples faces - 20 - 30 stitches in some cases.

they got some judges in to fast track the cases and they hit upon the ideal sentence :

1 year for every stitch.

the problem soon cleared up.

Mabs

the problem with extreme sentencing is you end up with the US problem, ie :

im going to jail for 40 years / executed -already- so doesnt matter if i shoot a few coppers, or whatever. youve already maxed out your penalty

that being said, i think in the UK the problem isnt the sentences per se, its the "10 years for X, out in 4 for good behaviour". sorry, but as far as im concerned, LIFE should be "die in jail"

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
I saw an article on sky news that 'their human rights' are being infringed

wonder if these human rights fuckers would feel so liberal if their home was burnt down

Helme

Resident Freddy
I couldn't agree more, but the reality is they will be turned around on appeal.
We do need stiffer sentencing a whole sea change, not just 'a bit longer'.
If you faced 10 years in jail for house burglary, we'd have a lot of people doing the time until it filtered down that it just doesn't pay, as it is we tolerate burglary.
Of course the problem is that criminals will just move to whatever crime has the biggest payback with the lowest risk.
Longer and harsher sentences doesn't dissuade anyone because people rarely believe they'll be caught when they commit a crime. They're the exception, or at least that's what they think.

There's a few exceptions to this, where it's all about sending a message and it mostly involves white-collar crime, but that always tends to go unpunished unless it happens on small-scale so it doesn't really count.

If you truly want to reduce crime-rates, you'll have to work at preventing the causes making everyday people commit them and implementing more police officers to investigate the ones who just don't give a fuck.

Embattle

FH is my second home
There was always a chance that these sentences were more of an intended statement while knowing quite a few might be reduced at a later date.

Zenith

Part of the furniture
Longer and harsher sentences doesn't dissuade anyone because people rarely believe they'll be caught when they commit a crime. They're the exception, or at least that's what they think.

There's a few exceptions to this, where it's all about sending a message and it mostly involves white-collar crime, but that always tends to go unpunished unless it happens on small-scale so it doesn't really count.

If you truly want to reduce crime-rates, you'll have to work at preventing the causes making everyday people commit them and implementing more police officers to investigate the ones who just don't give a fuck.

Truth. It's been proven again and again that harsher punishment does not necessarily lower crime rates. It does however, further alienate the people getting locked up, and higher the chance of further criminal records. Plus, as Helme suggests, IGNORE the actual reason, the starting point as to why the crime was commited in the first place. When do people realize that locking people up is reacting to the symptoms rather than prevent it? We are on a downward spiral until we stop being purely reactive to the symptoms of society.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom