Right Royal F Up

J

Johnny Bravo

Right Royal Mix Up

I've been reading some other forums and apparently there are usually teething problems when MMORPG's first come on the market, but I must say I am VERY dissapointed with today's events.

They spend 2 days advertising the fact that they are testing the patch on the test server, and yet when implemented on the live server it causes immense problems. I know some people have managed to get in at some point this afternoon but from my point of veiw the server has been unavailable from 12pm onwards, thats currently 8 1/2 hours of prime time play.....at the very least these patches should be released on week days when the majority of us are at work.

No wonder there are some people flying round in cruisers and shooting the crap out of the lesser players who have real lives and can only play in spare time.

I also find it amazing that they have only now decided to *lock* down lower sec systems with pirates, it means those fortunate enough to spend the last week playing will have huge amounts of money from mining high end asteroids without any real problem, while the rest of us now struggle along with only a chance of mining Ombar for the next 3 motnhs.

As I said I am new to MMORPG, and maybe this happens in all the other games in this genre, but in my mind everyone should be on some equal footing and not have a situation where some are now very powerful whilst others will struggle for the next few weeks.

Anyway I feel better for gettng that off my chest, and all are just my humble opinions :D

O

old_fed

It does Happen in other Games

Yep these kind of problems do happen in the first Month of most mutli user games.

First month of Dark Age of Camelot was about getting the game working properly. It was released too early and most of the patches where to provide correct character models for the monsters. There was roll backs in that game as well.

But that aside I am particulary disappointed with EVE becuase they did a huge Beta Test before releasing the game.

Beta testing is supposed to be where the majority of bugs are worked out not after the Game has been released.

Updates should be focused on improving the content of the game and adding new areas and ships and stuff... not fixing the fundamentals.

I am getting tired of testing software designers games for them and whats more is that it puts people off multiplayer games instead of encouraging new people to join up.

EVE seems to be a pretty good game as long as you hang in there, but it is a game that would benefit from having a huge community and that will not happen if people are angered by their experience.

Other game designers take note.... there is a lot of competition for online games emerging if you want to keep customers you have to get it right from day 1 or else people are going to be lured away to the games that don't have the bugs and dont feel as though they are half finished.

Regards All

Hound

T

tris-

well IMO this whole game seems to evolve around its "market" system. now, i dont see how a game will survive only from an imaginary market, with the money you spend on the game and free months you may aswell dabble in the real stocks and shares market. but anyway, it seems that this is all the game is about because 3/4 of the game isnt even implemented and all you can do is manufacture, mine and sell or kill or die trying. so untill they put the other 3/4 of the game in, its gonna have to survive on its "market" system. and with all these patches just adding pirates in, its not very likely you can do any PvP, be honest, how many hours go by where you see even 2 people?

im sure thats on topic somewhere....

C

Custy

TBH the game hasn't been released everywhere yet (infact it has hardly been released anywhere). comes out most places over the next few weeks so i imagine the servers will start filling up then.

And people say there are only 4000 users but this is not true, the servers peak at 4000 people, i doubt very much that 100% of the users are on at every peak time, i expect that figure is closer to 50% than it is to 100%.

E

Embattle

Todays events annoyed me more because of one basic problem, they should never of applied the patch on a weekend when most people play. It was a stupid move and one that I believe they should look at carefully so it doesn't happen again.

O

old.Sko

they had no other choice - 1022 had 2 bugs which corrupted characters

R

Roo Stercogburn

It was a bit annoying trying to get online today to check on skill progress. Lost about a day's effective training which I'd timed to finish on Sunday night.

Not going to get overly excited about it though - I just went off and did other things.

N

Neural Network

Yesterdays bug annoyed me too. Especially when I was trying to leave a system and was nearly killed by new uber pirates with missiles at a jump gate. But after the lag disappeared it was back as before the patch. It’s still fairly easy to mine in low security systems, just remember to warp every time pirates show up. And with the boost to the bantams CPU I can now have two mining lasers operating.

W

whipped

I feel sorry for the Eve guys. The reason yesterdays patch had the bad bug was because it only occur with lots of people online. The test server probabl only had about 50 people willing to test it.

As for the huge Beta. Well, lots of people enroll in betas for the wrong reasons. Go into the game and realise it's buggy and then never play again. Bug reports don't get submitted by these people when things go wrong. Stupid people. Also, if you think it's bad now, you should have been around in the early betas :)

X

Xtro

Wake up with hangover. See EVE was even worse farce than expected yesterday. Go to log on with the aim of training a new skill then logging off. Realise servers arent up due to daily downtime...................ffs.

O

old.Trine Aquavit

Well, this weekend was not a good time to start playing the game, that's for sure. I picked up the game on Friday (currently No 2 in the GAME charts), and have been able to play for only about 4 hours of a possible 10. In that time I've been hit by a text display bug, which rendered the text pretty much unreadable and a problem where I couldn't finish the tutorial as I couldn't sell my stack of minerals, so couldn't go on to the next stage & had to start out with no cash and extra equipment. Pretty frustrating, really.

And then I log on today at 11.30 and hit the server downtime :(

I'll keep trying, as I quite like what I've seen of the game, but it's not been good.

Anyone that wants to say "hi", I'll probably be playing as "Trine" (Gallente) or "Trinak" (Amarr)

T

Tom

The text display thing is sorted by going into esc>options>graphics and adjusting the texel slider.

S

SilverHood

trine, sorting out the text problem is easy

in options, you have a slider... adjust this to get readable text

T

Tufnir

Re: It does Happen in other Games

Originally posted by old_fed
But that aside I am particulary disappointed with EVE becuase they did a huge Beta Test before releasing the game.

Beta testing is supposed to be where the majority of bugs are worked out not after the Game has been released.

My experience from the beta is that is have been bugged all along. I got my beta password in may 2002...

I have not bought it bcoz of the bugs.

F

Fafnir

I think the game gets better every time they patch. :) That train bug, was a nice feature, i reported it, that i had trained 2 lvl 3 skills to lvl 4 in 2 seconds.

And i read on the forum they KNOW who used this, and didn't report it. :)

Users who are viewing this thread