Rework my PC

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I've got an old alienware mahoosive full tower housing 4 HDDs and a full length 1080Ti alongside all the usual gubbins (nice big CPU cooler etc).

If the new house move comes off I'll be wanting (needing) to rehouse as a better looking (tasteful) slimmer ATX case, with still room for the 4 HDDs, into something that would fit on a small under-TV table in the main living room and not look (and sound) like shit.

Any of you guys got ideas?

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
I've got an old alienware mahoosive full tower housing 4 HDDs and a full length 1080Ti alongside all the usual gubbins (nice big CPU cooler etc).

If the new house move comes off I'll be wanting (needing) to rehouse as a better looking (tasteful) slimmer ATX case, with still room for the 4 HDDs, into something that would fit on a small under-TV table in the main living room and not look (and sound) like shit.

Any of you guys got ideas?
Honestly, feels like you'd be better off chipping it in. Case choices would be limited by cooler I'd imagine.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Honestly, feels like you'd be better off chipping it in. Case choices would be limited by cooler I'd imagine.
New i7 and 1080Ti? Want the oomph. Basically want oomph in smaller, sexier case.

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
New i7 and 1080Ti? Want the oomph. Basically want oomph in smaller, sexier case.
When you suggested where it would be going, my mind instantly went to the Node series from Fractal design: Node Series by Fractal Design

I was just thinking that you'd probably get more for flogging a more intact system than you would if you put all its components into a new, slightly smaller box and ended up with an alienware case to sell.

You could then put together something Ryzen based into the 304 case with room for all 4 HDD's and maybe upgrade the GPU to a low end RTX?

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Parts are good Meg, but the case is from about 2001 and battered to hell with bits hanging off. Don't want to change the internals if I can help it and won't be ebaying owt.

Interesting cases tho :)

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Parts are good Meg, but the case is from about 2001 and battered to hell with bits hanging off. Don't want to change the internals if I can help it and won't be ebaying owt.

Interesting cases tho :)
What's your cooler then? That's probably going to have the biggest impact on case size.

Moriath

I am a FH squatter
I love my phantek beast. But that wouldnt fit under a table.

caLLous

I am a FH squatter
FH Subscriber
You're limited by wanting to hold onto the old. "Small and sexy" isn't really compatible with (presumably) an ATX motherboard and 4 3.5" hard drives.

There's a big movement towards small and sexy over the last year or two, there are loads of brilliant small form factor cases around (eg the NCASE M1 and the Dan A4) but you'd be limited to Mini-ITX or Mini-DTX boards and probably no more than 1 3.5" drive. If you want small but also ATX you're going to be looking at something like the Sliger Cerberus X.

Personally I'd separate the concerns and have a separate NAS for storage and a dinky PC under the telly as an HTPC or gaming machine or general PC or whatever. You can cram an awful lot of power into a small case nowadays. The Lian Li TU150 isn't quite small enough to be classed as "small form factor" (the accepted cutoff is a maximum volume of 20L) but it's still small (in that it's limited to Mini-ITX or Mini-DTX) and it's wide enough to house a full-height 165mm CPU cooler and a full length GPU.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
Buying a house @caLLous, buying more than a case is a no-no right now. Full atx will have to be it.

Could lose a HDD or two potentially tho ;)

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Go closed loop water on the cpu cooler....

MYstIC G

Staff member
FH Subscriber
Go closed loop water on the cpu cooler....
That was my initial reaction to the cooler but they're also expensive. A well soundproofed case should handle the cooler and HDD noise and would work out cheaper.

Jupitus

Old and short, no wonder I'm grumpy!
Staff member
FH Subscriber
That was my initial reaction to the cooler but they're also expensive. A well soundproofed case should handle the cooler and HDD noise and would work out cheaper.

Not so much these days, and also low profile...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom