REVIEW!

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
Somebody needs to review this game plix so I can make an educated decision without buying!

old.Tohtori

FH is my second home
In short?

It's a dragon age/mass effect style storyline, driven forwards by classic MMO mechanics, most related to wow in UI sense, with still bugs ranging from tiny to larger, but if you like the KOTOR world and don't have any objection to a standard MMO, with good and bad, this is a game for you to waste hundreds of hours on.

In shorter?

Do you like star wars? Do you like MMOs? Do you like mass effect/dragon age? Add 30% to score on all questions if answer is yes.

In shortererer?

Solid MMO which i enjoy.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
Toht sums it up pretty well tbh.

It's not daoc, but is a fantastic game imo. As long as you're not expecting daoc you will probably enjoy it. It has the playability of a good single player RPG, but with the options/depth of an MMO.

Mabs

J Peasemould Gruntfuttock
if you want to play it, and experience it, its good

if you want to whizz to the end and "win" you prob wont

seen quite a few people going "press space bar to skip the gay talking" and then "this is boring and shit" , go figure
each class quest is split into 3 Acts, each Act is the same length as KOTOR was. so there is plenty to "do"

Zede

Part of the furniture
This is the first MMO that i've not turned off the music within seconds ! I'm L11 and not found a bug as of yet, tis very polished.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
This is the first MMO that i've not turned off the music within seconds ! I'm L11 and not found a bug as of yet, tis very polished.

Yep these are both things that have impressed me, I'm quite surprised at an MMO release that isn't full of bugs tbh, after other games I've played over the last few years I expected it to feel like a beta.

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
Have a look for total biscuits (cynical brit) vids on youtube. He has done vids for most, if not all classes. Should give you an idea of the basics.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Im enjoying the storyline tbh, im level 16 and it's not a grindfest to get max level like some other mmo's were, you aren't thinking halfway through the quests in a zone "Oh man im sick of this zone" you are too immersed in the storyline to care less

OMG i haz a spaceship too ! Bounty Hunter ftw

Syri

FH is my second home
My first impressions so far:
Really excellent level of polish, and an amazing job on keeping servers stable and lag-free in the launch period aswell. I've not had any lag issues at least, nor noticed any servers going down apart from the announced maintenance windows. Character creation isn't the best, but does have a few bits you can tinker with. It's certainly not as basic as some, but it has a few more visual customisation options than WoW I'd say.
The introduction is really well done, as it puts you right in the story from the start. When you choose your faction, you get a video giving the back story from their view, then another video once you've made the character, and then you're put into the starting area.
Talking to NPCs gets you full speech, and in a lot of cases, multiple dialogue choices, something so many MMOs have been missing. It also gives you different ways to complete certain quests, with some choices tipping you towards the light or dark side, and affecting how the NPCs take to you a bit. There are a few "kill x number of these" quests, but most of these aren't actually given by the NPC, but rather started automatically as side quests, where the main objective may be to recover something or investigate an area. The way that the quests are set out means they you're often more interested in the story and where it's going than how much exp you're gaining.
There's grouping available, and some kind of currency reward for completing things in a group with other players, which I like as it will serve as a bit of an encouragement to group and complete things now rather than come back later when you can walk through it solo.
Combat is quite run of the mill control wise, though for Jedi at least, it involves a lot of group fighting, and is fast and frantic. It's fun and involving though, and you find yourself wanting to move around and use a mix of different moves, rather than just stand and auto-attack mobs one at a time.
I've not yet reached level 10, and my Jedi Knight is still a lowly padawan with a toy saber instead of a real one, but I'm still enjoying the game so far, and don't feel like I HAVE to get to a higher level, I'm just enjoying where I am now.
I'm sure when I've experienced more of the game, I'll be able to give a much better and more balanced view, as so far I've not seen any grouping, instance runs or PvP, but the questing and story line, and the combat, have all got me interested so far.

Soazak

Part of the furniture
I've not yet reached level 10, and my Jedi Knight is still a lowly padawan with a toy saber instead of a real one, but I'm still enjoying the game so far, and don't feel like I HAVE to get to a higher level, I'm just enjoying where I am now.

This was key for me, although I have a fair bit of free time over xmas, I don't really play MMOs for the rediculous amounts of time I used to when I was younger (12 hour stints at malmo executioners <3). Similar to how WoW levelling felt the first few times, playing the actual game is fun. A few other recent games (DAoC, Rift & WAR among others) there was a feeling you need to rush to max level to actually enjoy it, but here I'm having fun taking my time :)

Deebs

Chief Arsewipe
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Loving the game, so much more involving than WoW.

BloodOmen

I am a FH squatter
Agreed mr deebs! the story lines are ace tbfh, expected the stories just to be rushed drivel but they've completely made me eat my words.

Aballith

Loyal Freddie
What have they got in mind for the endgame?

I can't imagine the ongoing character progression is gear orientated as how many different lightsabers can you get?

Everz

FH is my second home
Does it cater for a casual gamer?

Do I have to like Star Wars to enjoy it?

Is there openworld PvP?

Punishment

Resident Freddy
Ugh 2 graphical freezes in 1h while trying to get heroic groups, poor laptop won't take much mroe of this need to get a new rig in the new year

Turamber

Part of the furniture
Does it cater for a casual gamer?

Yes, I'm the definition of casual and I'm really enjoying it. Not maximum level yet, of course, but I'm hopeful it will be more about the story than the endless grind.

Do I have to like Star Wars to enjoy it?

it would help. I'd think an enjoyment of sci-fi would be needed otherwise you'll get very bored very quickly.

Is there openworld PvP?

So I hear, playing on a PvE server it isn't something I've gone looking for as yet.

Everz

FH is my second home
Ah, I enjoy a bit of sci-fi and if it's something I could get away with playing about 5-6 hours a week then it'll be worth a butchers. Cheers.

ileks

Part of the furniture
I think it's well worth the 40 quid or so Everz. It's the most polished MMO I've ever played at release. I haven't crashed or even had a single lag spike.

If you buy games like mass effect or like me jump on the bandwagon whenever an MMO is released it's a no brainer TBh

Ceixah

Can't get enough of FH
Here's my two cents:

(be wary that I'm completely biased as I've taken to this game faster than I have any game before)

So first of all, the opening scene of the game, looks absolutely incredible, makes you truly realise how much money and time has gone into this game.

So upon loading I select my character etc blah blah, pick a Jedi Knight - for the roleplay! with the view at going Sentinel - dual wielding dps class, you start as a padawan learning your trade and following some very clean cut voice acted cut scenes.

The combat system is as described by others - a little clunky, nothing like DAoC which is obviously where I started out, however it is playable and once you get used to it really simple.

I've only made it to 25 so far mind but here is a little conclusion.

Quests: Absolutely brilliant - first time I've ever had OCD and literally taken EVERY quest I see, Daily ones in PvP and space missions are worth doing also.

PvP: 3 Scenarios - 3 outpost capture and hold - probably the best, but massively frustrating without decent team work - and healing classes.

Assault various targets - pretty good fun but again you need good team work to win - imperials seem to have a class advantage at the moment though so seems pretty difficult even with team work - the sorcerer seems very overpowered.

Huttball: massively frustrating and just pure garbage :(

Has to be said the pvp has a very Unreal Tournament feel to it, so if you like that you might enjoy the pvp massively.

Not done any world PvP yet so I can't comment.

Space Missions: I really enjoy this little sidegame implemented - basically a rail shooter which if you do the daily quests etc reap rather nice rewards.

Overall Conclusion:

Brilliantly polished game, room for improvement but what doesn't have! I would recommend to pretty much anybody, especially the WoW kids.

ileks

Part of the furniture
I quite like the Huttball warzone. For some reason my side always wins it. i must have won about 90% of the games I've played of it.

Fafnir

Resident Freddy
I quite like the Huttball warzone. For some reason my side always wins it. i must have won about 90% of the games I've played of it.
Sprint should be disabled in Huttball... :) Not fun goin up against a team where its 90% sith inq classes.

rynnor

Rockhound
Ugh 2 graphical freezes in 1h while trying to get heroic groups, poor laptop won't take much mroe of this need to get a new rig in the new year

I think those are from memory leaks rather than your laptop - hoping they will address these soon.

Punishment

Resident Freddy
I think those are from memory leaks rather than your laptop - hoping they will address these soon.
Well i was getting serious heat from my graphics card so my laptop is now propped up on 4 coke bottle lids to allow more ventilation lol :p

Very hard to get a cooling pad for a 19 inch lappy for cheaps

rynnor

Rockhound
Well i was getting serious heat from my graphics card so my laptop is now propped up on 4 coke bottle lids to allow more ventilation lol :p

Very hard to get a cooling pad for a 19 inch lappy for cheaps

Well I run it on 3 different machines and the behaviour I see looks suspiciously like memory leaks - can always fix with a logout which is suspicious.

I also wonder about how the zones are handled by the server - the heroic areas seem particularly bad.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
The levelling content is excellent and will keep me going for a while, I can't say as to longevity.

For those looking for openworld PvP, even if you play on a PvE server there is a whole planet set aside for just PvP - Ilum. Its lvl50 and the bases there sell PvP items for lvl47+. I've been for a wander around there and didn't find anyone but its early days yet. Not as massive as DAoC frontiers but bigger than a Warhammer lake. I haven't checked to see yet if you can invade the enemy base camp on the planet as not quite high enough level to make a decent test of it. I didn't get flagged for PvP the moment I landed there but I had to enter the actual 'lake' on the planet.

The warzones (battlegrounds to WoW players) are variable:

Huttball: Everyone hates Huttball already. The game design allows players of all levels to take part in the same matches, so the one with the higher levels has more in their box of tricks and the Huttball layout is so gimmicky it basically means the team with the most 50s on it is likely to win. Huttball is also the most occuring match type because if there aren't enough enemy players to fight against, you're dropped in against your own side. In principle this sounds fine except the warzone itself is all about using the environment while trying to score points with a ball, rather than getting on with fighting. Combined with the above comments about the level imbalances then it becomes very annoying very quickly.

Alderaan warzone is excellent, being a simple capture/hold base type game with 3 bases. Win or lose its always fun because the best fights I've had so far have generally been in this warzone.

Voidstar: Basically a layered attack/defend scenario and its ok. Walkways and stuff to throw enemy players off but not too many gimmicks.

rynnor

Rockhound
Oh has anyone tried the free for all zone? I cant remember which planet its on but its all v all - only your guild or groupmates cant attack you and presumably you can drop group members...

It has rare vendors and rare crafting nodes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom