Returning to Game

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Yo

Thinking about returning to the game

Question 1. Should I get DR ?

Question 2. If I was to roll a Paladin, Friar, or Armsman, should I go ToA or Glastonbury ?

Question 3. Are Friar's now worth rolling ?

Ryuno

Can't get enough of FH
Lamp said:
Yo

Thinking about returning to the game

Question 2. If I was to roll a Paladin, Friar, or Armsman, should I go ToA or Glastonbury ?

1) DR is basically Horse, graphics for towns/DF and some long champion quests + weapon at the end. Personally I think you can live without it.

2) Personally I would go GLast. Simply because the TOA servers seem quite dead now, and even with the new patch changes inc soon to make TOA easier, there is still a certain grind involved. So if your after RvR soonish, go GLast. IMO.

3) With the new Friar changes (heal procs etc), yes I think so. :)

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Thank you for your advice m8.

How different are the town graphics with DR ? Are they awesomely splendiferous can't live without them ? Or they're ok but you're not missing anything much ?

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
1. I heard the "champion tasks" are quite good exp. Also, would imagine that the champ quests / new epics are ok exp too. Not like 20 euros is so much money. Oh and, if you go to glastonbury then its pretty much a must.

2. Personally i would go ToA.

3. Atm they are, but paladin love is inc so hard to say.

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Hmm....decisions decisions. The thought of trying to get ML's done fills me with trepidation. Plus I don't have the skill or time to work out uber templates with artis and therefore I won't be able to compete on the RVR battlefields

Abandoning ToA sounds liberating TBH

Gorbachioo

Fledgling Freddie
Making a template after the next patch wont be much easier on glast than it will be on ToA. And not all classes need MLs. (most do tho :()

Lamp

Gold Star Holder!!
Really gonna miss FoP in a non-TOA environment.....:(

Korax

Fledgling Freddie
1. You can run Cata client without the expantion, but you'd you'll want CL weapon etc. No fuss to get.

2. Glastonbury is sweet.

3. Friars will still be semi gimped I think. Might be fair in a tank group.

evzy

Can't get enough of FH
TOA is just going to be as easy to get arti's from next patch as it is to get decent items on Glast anyway. As much as Glast people think TOA servers are dead - they aint - still plenty going on.

Just depends if you want one less zone to visit when ya bored...

DR I like - not a huuuge amount of content but its a lil bit more to add to the game and personally I havent got bored of the tweaked gfx yet, think they make it nice n easy on the eye...

Char's - your call - Friars getting some love I think on one of next patches (cant remember which or what off top of my head - nor if it makes much diff for them as never had one myself)

Trunks

Loyal Freddie
ml's are getting a lot easier aswell, also theres a link on a sticky somewhere with templates people have made and posted. really nice site

here

Raven

Fuck the Tories!
FH Subscriber
after 1.82 (in a couple of weeks) the post 50 grind to get rvr ready will be no harder on the toa server than it is farming darkspire 50 odd times to get the items you need on glastonbury

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Ryuno said:
2) Personally I would go GLast. Simply because the TOA servers seem quite dead nowQUOTE]

Before the patch making TOA easier, the Cluster has approx 80% of the population of Glastonbury. So dead is an exaggeration, I feel (Smaller population than it was once, of course).

Darzil

Bahumat

FH is my second home
Darzil said:
Ryuno said:
2) Personally I would go GLast. Simply because the TOA servers seem quite dead nowQUOTE]

Before the patch making TOA easier, the Cluster has approx 80% of the population of Glastonbury. So dead is an exaggeration, I feel (Smaller population than it was once, of course).

Darzil

yeah but remember half the population of rvr is buff bots

spook

Fledgling Freddie
As mentioned, the grind for items will be about the same on ToA servers as on the ARS ones.

MLs are also simplified, and there's being run boatloads atm. Of course, that might mean that there'll be a stale period where no onewants to attend MLs due to all their current alts have ml10, but it should pick up again eventuelly.

Fana

Fledgling Freddie
Lamp said:
Thank you for your advice m8.

How different are the town graphics with DR ? Are they awesomely splendiferous can't live without them ? Or they're ok but you're not missing anything much ?

You get the new capital town gfx without DR as well, its part of the regular patch.

Alan

Fledgling Freddie
Darzil said:
Ryuno said:

Darzil

Lol duno where you got those figures from

Last time i logged onto the cluster there were 273 people online (including bots) then going back to classic there were 980

As much as I liked ToA the first time, cluster servers are dead.

Darzil

Fledgling Freddie
Tears said:
Darzil said:
Lol duno where you got those figures from

Last time i logged onto the cluster there were 273 people online (including bots) then going back to classic there were 980

As much as I liked ToA the first time, cluster servers are dead.

My rather unscientific method - I play a lot of alts, and my wife uses my PC for hers, we have 29 between us on Prydwen Alb alone. Hence it's common for me to go in via the Server selection screen. I tend to look at the server numbers. Excal + Pryd is usually about 75-85% of Glastonbury.

I'm always distrustful of /who, cos a lot of time when I use it, I get fewer hits than expected (eg. Last tuesday, our fg accidentally killed some mobs being farmed by a necro+cleric in Brimstone Caverns. So I did /who brimstone, and got 7 hits. Clearly we knew at least 10 were there). A very large % of those who ask for crafting are /anon, as /who is the first thing I do when I get a crafting request.

Darzil

MesS°

One of Freddy's beloved
When i played Classic i forgot to count Pryd and Excal as one too.

Commandment

Fledgling Freddie
glastonbury is lots of fun, but somehow gets boring after a while. strangly you miss the toa :p and DR is a must extra +200 hps on any char and the champ weps are sweet:)

B

Benedictine

1) DR is nice for horses, especially without speed on any of the characters you suggest. Its largely fluff but you also get the ability to subspec with CLs - for example your armsman could get his own buffs. Most of the abilities aren't game changing but they add a bit of colour. CLs aren;t difficult - essentially its all xp, the quests are ok and the champ weapon is veyr handy esppecially if you finish the CO5 quest (though you may find it hard to get groups wanting to do that these days)

2) TOA or Glast depends on your own preference - I personally hated TOA so it was a no brainer for me. Its a quicker route to rvr endgame depsite the changes coming up for MLs and artes. Population is still fine on Glast, though the initial surge has died down and the server matures. Be prepared for French though on classic - some people have expressed linguistic problems but I have found it again to add colour.

3) Pala Friar or Arms again is up to you. Love is inc for all 3 though again its not game changing stuff. Probably pala is the one that benefits most. Check the changes upcoming in the patch notes for 1.82 and beyond for in depth info. I personnaly had a 6L7 friar years ago and imo they haven't been sought after for at least 2-3 years and nothing really has changed (though Im sure someone will correct me on that ;) )

Ryuno

Can't get enough of FH
Well i'm not going to argue with you if TOA is dead or not. You obviously think its not, but it is significantly quieter than before. And I am using the stats on the login screen too (I look at it everyday as I login).

As for one advantage of going Classic Lamp, currently they are recieving lots of Underpop bonuses.

For Albion on Glast:
Free level every 2 days (as long as you manually level at least once in this period).
Bonus XP (106% camp bonus).
Bonus RPs (5%).
Hookpoints are 50% cheaper.

And personally I would still say classic is less rvr equip than TOA, even with the new patch. In the time it takes you to farm the scrolls you need for your artifacts, you can do enough DS runs to get your items (either by winning them, or getting an expensive item and selling it).

On Classic:
Level to 50;
Darkspire items;
Possible Epic quest + Champion Weapon Quest;
Done

On TOA:
Level to 50;
Farm some scrolls;
Do the x number of encounters you need to get credit;
Level artifacts;
Masterlevels 1 - 10;
Possible Epic quest + Champion Weapon Quest;
Done

Hell I loved my time on TOA, so i'm not dissing it, but Classic is noticable faster than the new Patch TOA.

Anyway good luck with w/e you do choose. If you go classic though, be sure to hug me before you kill me (i'm such a gimp in RvR) :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom