return of the lag

gawain11

Fledgling Freddie
when i first started playing doac i didnt know about toa client and so i used to experience major lag in rvr. As a healer this meant that by the time i started healing the group was nearly dead. Then a guildy told me about toa client. Suddenly, i could heal and rez in the blink of an eye and the game was fun... today toa was 'upgraded' to dr client. the old lag is back and the game is no fun any more.... is there anything i can do or is that the end of daoc for me??

mercury

Fledgling Freddie
Grafix

1. You could make sure your grafix card 3D stuff like anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering are at their lowest settings. This might improve your frame-rate and reduce what looks like lag.

2. There are also things you can reduce using the 'Options' choice from the spalsh-screen before you log in. I mean, who needs reflective water updated every sec or every creature throwing high quality shadows?

These won't change anything much if it is really server-side lag causing your problems - you could Right Now it and see if they are aware of the problem. I believe it is more often a router that's at fault - which means there's nothing you can do but report it.

:england:

Tuthmes

FH is my second home
Playing on a PIII (dual, but still) with a X1650pro here btw.

What you can do is change to lower resolutions. 1024 x 768 or even 800 x 600. I know the last one sounds crazy, but there are actually a lot of gamers still playing this resolution.

- Set name font to classic (saves a lot of fps for me for some reason)
- Classic water (better to spot enemie's anyway)
- Shadows off (fluff anyway)
- Clip plain distance - near (wouldnt do this if you're playing a paccy though :p)
- Not sure if the pre rendering can still be changed, used to be there.

Also noticed that the DR client is way better then the Cata one.

What mercury said is also true, check gfx card and see if you can set everything to performance.

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Another minor point is that for some reson if you are using certain custom UI you don't get all the graphics options. Change to the default UI, set the graphics settings as low as possible and see how it runs.

Also if you bring up the performance indicator (3 green circles). when the game lags is it the circle on the right that changes to a yellow triangle/red square? If not it might be some other issues.

Also if you have a low end machine disable programs running in the background such as msn or skype. This can sometimes make alot of difference.

Danord_durin

Fledgling Freddie
We are a few from dk, who atm has delay on the way to and with opentransit. Getting some really sad ping times of 180 ms and above. Could be the same issue mabye.

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
Well hmm...

when i first started playing doac i didnt know about toa client and so i used to experience major lag in rvr. As a healer this meant that by the time i started healing the group was nearly dead. Then a guildy told me about toa client. Suddenly, i could heal and rez in the blink of an eye and the game was fun... today toa was 'upgraded' to dr client. the old lag is back and the game is no fun any more.... is there anything i can do or is that the end of daoc for me??

Well, there are alot of good suggestions here that with some luck helps you.
It sounds like the problem I have all of my computors (3 different ones but all low end ones) with cata/DR clients. Its not a lag per say, its a strange graphical effect that delays things you see in cata/DR with halv a second or so.

I first noticed it when playing around spellspamming, and when starting to cast spells it took the graphic half a second to catch up. Once the graphic had started it keept up, but it was the initiating effect that took time, meaning I was always a half a second late.

Anyway I havent found any other way to fix this for me than using the TOA client (which apprently isnt possible now), unfortunatly including the suggestions above.

Hope for your sake its something else mate!:)

Good luck!:)

/Charmangle

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom