TV Return of Red Dwarf!

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
What ever happened to the film they were making??

Kryten

Old Cow.
Never going to happen, but then again several people related to the BBC and RD have said "never say never" several times.
Mostly a matter of budget for the film, BBC would rather be making Doctor Who stuff repeatedly, but this is Dave (UKTV) who have ordered this particular batch of progs.

Shame really, the script is there, the actors were all willing (time & scheduling allowing), shoot locations were picked & ready.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
If they can hit the writing heights of the first four seasons then this will be great. Otherwise it'll suck big fat donkey bollocks...

Kryten

Old Cow.
Oh I dunno, there was some fantastic writing in series 7 and 8 let alone 5-6.
The last 2 series get a lot of stick from a lot of people, and I'll join them in agreeing they were not the best.
But, the entire Tikka to Ride episode in 7, the Ratarsed sketch in 8, Krytie TV and "Have a Happy Period", and one of my favourite episodes is "Beyond a Joke" in series 7 - showing the writing ability and excellence of Robert Llewellyn.

It's one of those arguments, people have wanted more series, the film, everything since 1998. That's 10 years ago. 20 years ago in 1988 we were graced with the original series.

So, what am I expecting out of this little escapade?
Nothing new. They say stuff about a bit of new scriptwriting - fair play, expect a lot of ad libbing from the actors, which is no bad thing - a good deal of the first few series was tweaked and tuned in this manner with the comedic wit of Barrie and Charles. All in all, I just expect a revisit to the olden days, looking back and reminiscing, and a general all round laugh.

Dave's doing it, knowing full well how popular Red Dwarf's reruns are - people don't get tired of them and they are still attracting more fresh & new viewers, people that were not even born in 1988. It can't be all bad, and face it - anything's better than the shit we have to put up with on Telly these days, and the so called "comedy".

All Hail Dave.

chipper

Can't get enough of FH
apparently there is only going to be 4 episodes but i agree if the writing is good they will be a nice send off for the show :) would be nice maybe to catch up with the dwarfers 10 years into the future have they got any closer to earth etc lol if holly is driving prob not :D

loved this show but i cant help feeling its best days were prob season 6 and below season 7 and 8 where not as good as they could have been

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
Good luck to them. I'm expecting it to be one of them that makes a big hyped return only to be a big let down.

Kryten

Old Cow.
That's what I'm worried about. There's not enough (sorry that's wrong. There's NO) comedy writers worth their salt any more, what we're getting is straight regurgitation of someone else's material.

Comedy had it's peak late 80s and early 90s, bottom humour in-particular was doing the rounds about then and it was about then where humans had just about exhausted every kind of comedy possible - fart jokes, nob gags, stand up, situation, romantic, sick, the works. Everything for a long time has been the same thing over and over, and the only thing that can work these days is stand up, normally regarding current affairs, being the only thing that stays fresh. And even then, the same things share a common template depending on the scenario - dead famous person, world disaster, etc etc.

Red Dwarf, even in the eyes of someone like me; a huge fan of the entire series and each individual actor regardless of what they may have done in the past. (Yes Danny and Craig, I mean you!), remains one of the few comedy series that manages to incorporate just about every possible type of comedy in a single series with super sharp wit, great delivery and some underestimated actors. I could sit here and reel of some examples, but they number too many to bother; everyone has their favourites.

There have been some complex issues talked about;
"Have A Happy Period!" being one.

There have been some historical pisstakes, ala Tikka to Ride.
Award winning scriptwriting - Gunmen of the Apocolypse.

Scenes that make you roll around the floor in fits of tears - Polymorph, Ratarsed etc.

There are not many series that have had such an established sense of real comedy; and many of the the series that do are some of the biggest names in the game- talk Python, Fools/Horses and the likes. In my eyes, that makes Dwarf a severely understated player.

ECA

I am a FH squatter
Kryt, check my thread a few down from this one, you might find a nice new series :)

Dreamor

Can't get enough of FH
Nice find, big fan of Red Dwarf... have met 'Cat' a few times, very funny guy.

russell

FH is my second home
This is great news.
I belonged to the Red Dwarf fan club (-shhhhhhhh...have to find my badge and polish it.)
My fav's were season 5 and 6, but classic episodes exist all the way through.
Wonder if they are still gonna film it in front of a live studio audience again, would kill to be there.
God I am really excited now, Hope it isn't shit.

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
So, if I was to go and buy a series or two on DVD, which ones should I get?

Edmond

Is now wearing thermals.....Brrrrr
You have to get series 1 just so you can understand how it all started and watch that first. I think they are all quite cheap now, so work your way through them, at least if you dont like it you can stop, but why would you want to, its great

Billargh

I am a FH squatter
I'll do that then. I know for a fact I like them, watched it loads on BBC in the middle of the night etc. Just got no idea which series each episode was from. :)

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
Never going to happen
Mostly a matter of budget for the film

Wasn't the Red Dwarf series done on a shoe string. That was part of the appeal at how bad everything was (set/costume wise), It'll be good to see it back :D

GReaper

Part of the furniture
Nice to see it returning for a few episodes at long last!

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
Not bovered tbh :/
WHAT?!?! You take that back!!! You are a total, total ... a word has yet to be invented to describe how totally whatever it is you ARE, but you ARE one and a total, total one at that!

bob269

Fledgling Freddie
WHAT?!?! You take that back!!! You are a total, total ... a word has yet to be invented to describe how totally whatever it is you ARE, but you ARE one and a total, total one at that!

Smeghead?

Kryten

Old Cow.
LOL meg, that's just made me chuckle somewhat :D

Wij

I am a FH squatter

Dish ?

SawTooTH

Can't get enough of FH
I really liked the very first few series but it definitely lost it towards the end.
can't see this being good.

Everz

FH is my second home
Hmm.. always wary of 'comebacks' some turn out to be utter crap others dont.. will wait and see.

Johnsonab

Fledgling Freddie
I think the next 20 years Red Dwarf will have a 'reboot' like the new Doctor Who or Batman films. It'll become massively popular and I'll become rich selling my VHS tapes on ebay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom