Retouching images

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Following on from a thread I've posted in general, I thought I'd show you these:

Original images
bedroom%20floor%20tiles.jpg

This is the first revision, with the top left damage repaired
tile%20copy.jpg

Most of the work here is to eliminate the black paint from the bottom right
tile%20copy2.jpg

Most of the work here is eliminating the stained areas at the edges, and general tidying up
tile%20copy3.jpg

Its a bit of a restoration job I'm doing, the eventual aim is to get a few copies of that tile made, and replace the really really badly damaged ones you can see in the first image. All the work I've done is from the bottom right corner tile in the 1st image.

I've been using photoshop, and the main technique is cutting and pasting the good sections of pattern onto the damaged areas. This is made much easier because the pattern is symmetrical on both axis.

Because this is a hand painted design, you can't simply mirror one corner of the pattern, and use it to create a whole new tile. What I've done, is to use the lasso command, with about 1-3 pixels of feather, select a clean area of pattern, copy and paste it, and then manipulate it into its approximate position on the damaged area (using horizontal/vertical flip). Then, as the pasted image is on a separate layer, I can hide it temporarily, use the lasso again on the original image, and select the areas that don't need repairing (directly underneath the layer to be pasted). I then unhide the new layer, and cut the selection away from it. Then, with a bit of rotation, and stretching, once its in place, I merge the two layers. Then I select a 1-3 pixel paintbrush, and tidy up the edges where they don't quite meet.

I've also been cloning much of the blank off-white areas, to eliminate the brown staining. If you look very closely, you might see that some scratches appear 3-4 times!

One thing I'm regretting after all this work, is that I didn't get a higher resolution source image. Oh well, you live and learn, but I think that it will pass the inspection of anybody who crouches down and has a quick look at them. Its only when you get up really close, that you see a slight lack of detail (although the above images are heavily compressed for bandwidth purposes).

When I'm finished, and there isn't much left to do, I plan to email the image to a custom tile manufacturer, who will make me a few tiles using that pattern. I'll post the result here, although it might be a few weeks away.

/edit: heh I've just noticed a huge chunk of paint that I missed!

tRoG

Fledgling Freddie
Heh, and here was me thinking you'd been at it with some bleach and a scrubbing brush :D

Nice job, I wouldn't have noticed the cloned bits if you hadn't pointed it out... As you can probably tell from the above comment. :p

Tom

I am a FH squatter
hehe that would have been easier, but most of the damage is from the lack of glaze, and 1-2 layers of paint being taken off (heat damage, heavy objects, etc)

Xavier

Can't get enough of FH
*cringes at teh jpegging*

It's an imaging forum, we don't need to be 56k-friendly... :)

Tom

I am a FH squatter
Getting close to finished now

tile%20nearly%20done.jpg

amobea

Fledgling Freddie
nice work

have you used the healing brush at all ???

it can be really useful when used carefully

Tom

I am a FH squatter
I haven't used that yet, although I might have a play around with it. I'm waiting for a sample tile to return from the manufacturer's, I'll take a piccie of it and let you see how the final thing turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom