Retail version problems

S

Sar

Cheers Utumno.

I've played a couple of hours of it in mp, and it's fucking excellent. Very tense and just like fighting in a war :D

Well without all the permanent dying and blood and shit :p

S

Sar

Oh and I was playing on BY at the time with a 46 ping - my usual Q3 ping.

:)

S

Scouse

The point is - they shouldn't have to have all this faff in the first place.

U

Utumno

Originally posted by Lee-ASG
no offence intended to the dudes @ BW but is it because of the new game management software system that they use to run the servers???

I can pretty much guarantee it's not the game server management software - the core principles of the game server management software running at BarrysWorld and blueyonder are identical (and before Russ gets all proprietary, yes, they made a lot of changes to GM after I ceased to be involved with BW, but I doubt the fundamental game server management concepts have changed much). EA basically designed the shipping game server so that GSP's couldn't use the server software to provide servers on a "buy retail CD and use it inside a server farm" basis, a position I have a lot of sympathy for.

This meant you could only run one process on each box and bookables were effectively impossible. Doesn't stop the end user running up a dedicated server though - and after all, GSP's aren't supposed to use the game server software shipping on the CD (CD is licensed for an end user - hence "EULA" - not a game server provider)

PS : nice one natty :)

U

Utumno

Originally posted by Misterdead
How come EA are sucking up to BY but not BW?

Far as I know they're not. Releases of game server software, particularly for a new game, is always traumatic for everyone concerned.

S

Stazbumpa

Surely, the point to be made though, is the cock up made by EA/2015 in writing the online side of the game to begin with, not which 3rd party tries their hardest to correct the original balls up.

My mate has just played the Omaha mission and is "rather disappointed".

I will reserve judgement myself until I play it, but I'm buggered if I'm paying for a copy. I wont make the same mistake I made with Project IGI.

B

bigfoot

I should point out that the engine used (Q3) has been successfully implemented in not only Q3 but of course more recently RTCW. EA/2015/"Muppets r us" made a mess of what was a perfectly good engine and although it doesn't seem as bad as we first feared it has been no way near as simple to get sorted out as RTCW was (to my knowledge).

On the subject of Project IGI, i've heard that their sequal will be featuring a proper dedicated server which should be designed to be as implementable as possible for GSPs.

S

Sar

Played Omaha on Sunday - fuck me, slightly tense :D

Love this game :)

O

old.CJ Ravey

Extremely Authentic

The important thing is EA has delivered a fantastically authentic overall experience with Medal of Honor: Allied Assault.

As a simulation of the American's World War 2 it simply had to arrive later than everyone expected it to. Lots of Europeans were hanging around waiting for the American soldier action to show up.

So, historically faithful.

And, looking at the way it was written, the possibility of the British joining in was completely omitted.

So, faithful to the film.

T

TedTheDog

an interesting interpretation there

Perhaps change "Allied" to "Allies" and add the letters "ed" to the end of the word "Assault" for a more accurate title.....

To be fair, hollywood is the greatest culprit when it comes to the US rewriting history. Its probably something to do with the US never having a foreign policy and always waiting until it had to be a "War on.." whatever it was they'd been ignoring for decades.

M

Moving Target

Originally posted by Sar
Cheers Utumno.

I've played a couple of hours of it in mp, and it's fucking excellent. Very tense and just like fighting in a war :D

Well without all the permanent dying and blood and shit :p

So, which war did you fight in?

D

[DAD]Monty73

You can certainly put my voice in with the rest as far as getting this server thingee sorted.

BW servers are the backbone of many clans and [DAD] would like to expand into MOHAA if we can.

[DAD]Monty73

S

Sar

You'd know you'd never been here then. :)

Civil War ;)

Anyway, I was being facetious :p

M

Moving Target

I have been there actually :p

Not many armies around there.

O

old.CJ Ravey

erm...

Forgive me, my political and world events awareness is generally piss poor. But I believe the British Army is there?;)

OK, it's not MANY armies.

S

Sar

British Army

Republican pe0ns (IRA, PIRA, RIRA)

Loyalist pe0ns (UDA, UVF, UFF, LVF)

One or two.

:)

O

old.CJ Ravey

Don't forget the IVF and the JPF..... (judean popular front?)

S

Sar

Never heard of 'em in my life :p

As far as I'm concerned IVF = In-vitro Fertilisation :D

D

[DAD]Monty73

To get back to the topic at hand............

Is Medal of Honor dead already or what? any news at all about this problem.

Last night myself and 2 other [DAD]'s tried for 1 hour and 20 mins to get into a decent game of MOH with no joy at all.

IP games are all good and well but when you have more that 5 players (and even with 5, pings are unusually high) pings rocket, not to mention the fact that some of the PC's hosting the games cannot cope and give bad lag too :(

Roll on Jedi Knight II, MOH is dieing a quick death unfortunately.

[DAD]Cpt. Montgomery

M

MrChumble

The BW servers were top notch, but tbh I think they've overdone it with 6 servers on one IP.
Four gave good solid pings and the servers were always full.
Dead? Hardly - plenty of full servers, and I can't imagine even EA being stupid enough not to release a patch to fix the known issues. It just might take a bit longer is all :)

M

MrChumble

I spoke too soon - it seems that BW have dropped back to four servers. All full and pinging fine I might add :)

O

old.Forrestblade

so your complaining i live in Belgium and we dont even have a patch and the keyboard dont even work in the multyplayer
they translated the game in dutch so now its like playing a fooking tweenie game grrr
:puke: ------>EA
:upyours: ------->2015

S

Stazbumpa

All I can say is that if you want a game making properly, then remove EA from the equation.

M

MrChumble

PC games: Amen to that

Console games: SSX owns me :)

Users who are viewing this thread