Result of my speeding ticket

leviathane

Part of the furniture
Motorists who drive well over the speed limit could face tougher penalties under new Government plans.

Those caught driving at 45mph or above in a 30mph limit are likely to receive a fixed penalty of six points, an increase on the flat rate of three points, it has been suggested.

It could mean drivers who speed excessively would quickly get a six-month driving ban for accumulating 12 points within three years.

Road Safety Minister Jim Fitzpatrick said the Government would be launching a consultation on the proposals shortly. He said: "We all know that speed kills - over the past two years some 800 people have died in accidents which involved speeding. That's why we want to improve respect for speed enforcement and as a result drivers' compliance with speed limits.

"As a result we will consult on a different way of penalising speeding. We know that a large number of motorists are good and responsible drivers, so we want to look at whether it is right to reduce the existing punishment from three points to two for those who stray over the limit by a small amount - like someone driving at 75mph on a motorway.

"But at the same time we will also ask respondents to seriously consider tackling the worst offenders, who put lives at risk by speeding excessively, by introducing a tough new six-point penalty."

Mr Fitzpatrick told Sky News that someone who "just drifts over the speed limit on the motorway, doing 75mph due to a temporary lapse of concentration, just crossing that threshold ... that is a different offence to someone speeding at 50mph in a 20mph zone."

The higher penalty is also thought likely to apply to drivers caught at 57mph or above on a 40mph road and 94mph or above on a 70mph road, The Times reported.

A spokesman for the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents said: "We welcome measures where people who are grossly above the speed limit get tougher penalty points. It is not getting at the ordinary motorist. It is getting at those who flagrantly break the speed limit."

Neil Greig, director of the IAM Trust (formerly the Institute of Advanced Motorists), said: "Excessive speeding is selfish, dangerous and harms the environment. The new Government consultation is welcome and we look forward to seeing the resulting benefits translated into safer and less stressful motoring."

hmmmm. lucky to say the least.

tierk

Part of the furniture
Got stopped in Cornwall in the summer on the A30 near Bodmin. Copper comes up to the car, I pass him my UAE driving licence and he says, "You gotta be fucking joking!".
I end up showing him passport and details of the hire car. After which he gives up saying," No bloody point in giving you a ticket then, slow down and drive safely your not in the bloody desert now mate".

Guess they could not be arsed with the extra paperwork. Not like they can put any points on my licence. :)

I had a similar situation happen to me in London about three months after 9-11 and i had a international drivers license from Saudi Arabia. I got pulled and he asked for my license and you should have seen his face when he saw SAUDI... i spent the night at Paddington Green police station while they tried to confirm all the details. Was a fucking major pain in my ass.

Imgormiel

Part of the furniture
I had a similar situation happen to me in London about three months after 9-11 and i had a international drivers license from Saudi Arabia. I got pulled and he asked for my license and you should have seen his face when he saw SAUDI... i spent the night at Paddington Green police station while they tried to confirm all the details. Was a fucking major pain in my ass.

Sounds like you got a major moron inspector for the lose :(

Dandare

Fledgling Freddie
Drink driving = no sympathy.

Just stating what an arse I've been with my license really, it was the morning after on boxing day and felt fine, but blew 0.41 and was astounded tbh, fucked my 28k a year job as could'nt get there and now earn half that working locally, worse judgement mistake I've ever made in my life.......well apart from getting married :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom