Resists - must have vs. useless

Jor

Fledgling Freddie
Hi there,
what do you consider the MUST have resists these days (still fiddling on my Valkyrie template, that's why I ask) and why?

And which are the ones where you'd say some or no points will do nicely?

Post the reasons too, please.

-------------------

- Body: Mincer CC+damage, LT+CC+debuff Cabba, Damage+CC Sorc, Bard CC+damage, Champ damage+debuff, Ani damage, Bainshee damage
- Matter: DoT Cabba+Sorc
- Energy: Sorc CC, Eld damage (PBAOE), Chanter damage (PBAOE), Menta CC+damage, LT Ani+VW
- Spirit: Theurg CC+damage, Necro damage, Reaver damage, Cleric CC+damage
- Cold: Theurg CC+damage, Ice Wizzie (how many out there?) damage, Eld damage+CC (mostly)
- Heat: Fire Wizz damage, Heretic damage, Chanter damage, Menta dmg
- Pierce: Chain weak vs. pierce... all 5 stalkers can get pierce... as well as other classes
- crush: ???
- slash: very common choice for weapon

So what... looks quite balanced to me, only "weak" point Matter.

Am I wrong here, do I miss something? Please share your opinion.

TIA

Farbaute2

Fledgling Freddie
you will need crush also since some meleer use crush weapons. legendary weapons have heat, cold, matter and spirit damage. sunweapons energy. so dont completly remove one or two resists. then you will be one-shotted now and then.

Body is assassin poisons also

Also vamps use matter depending on their spec, but I wouldn't complain if you were to skip it :p

gohan

FH is my second home
Must haves are melee resits heat and body

cold and energy are well needed aswell but as a mid u can get away with 15-20 an matter an spirit are genrally the 2 mid resists u can drop in template..... but still best to aim to get as much as u can in all

Kagato

Fledgling Freddie
I read an interesting report recently which tested that the differance between 0 resist and 26% resist on the longest duration CC spells basically made about 3 seconds differance. Can't say I studied it that much to decide if its believable or not but it wouldn't suprise me and its rather sad to see.

Oh and you don't need spirit resist, you can drop that one ta,

gohan

FH is my second home
Kagato said:
I read an interesting report recently which tested that the differance between 0 resist and 26% resist on the longest duration CC spells basically made about 3 seconds differance. Can't say I studied it that much to decide if its believable or not but it wouldn't suprise me and its rather sad to see.

Oh and you don't need spirit resist, you can drop that one ta,
aye spirit sux aswell as matter but thought it had more effect on CC than 3 secs.... if thats true then another resists u may aswell totaly drop it

Vaskez

Fledgling Freddie
Cap all the resists like 20% would be great at 26% and dont mind about energy and matter
Also Mentalist DD i think its heat and not energy and add on energy Carving Runemaster. Really depend on the realm that u play as well for alb is not nessesary to cap spirit cause u hardly meet thanes and aoe SMs but dds on weapon gonna hurt a bit :)

Nuxtobatns

Can't get enough of FH
as a valk u need imo :
15-20 body
20 heat
20 cold
10 energy
10 matter
15 spirit
20-25 crush
20-25 thrust
25-26 slash

Edit : Opinion is for solo and small grps

Jor

Fledgling Freddie
Thanks for the input so far... atm my 'sists are well capped in the template... I was thinking of lowering 1 or two to squeeze something else in, hence the question.

/wave

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
Well...

Well Id rate them in the following order of nonimportance...(1 beeing the least important one hence drop it completly if you can)

1. Matter (Almost nothing do matter damage except for Mids (some dots, or freaky deaky specced players maybe but virtually none so drop this)
2. Energy (Very few damage types are energy, You basically only have freaky specced Eldrich in hib (which are rare) and Hib Pbae, which they arent supposed to reach you with anyway:)
3. Spirit (This one is semi important, its abit of a toss between this one and nr 4 for me. Reasons for this is, the big things that do spirit damage are: Theurgist and Necromancer. Now thats 2 classes you really dont expect to get hit by in fg vs fg. Mostly because the theurgist is supposed to be forced to interrupt (if your group is doing its thing) and Necro plain suck in fg. If you solo though this one goes up a notch since you might face Reavers, who do spirit damage.)
4. Heat (As I said before its a close one with this and spirit...heat damage is mainly comming from 2 places, Hib Caster baseline damage, this damage is Always debuffed first (chanters phuie), meaning that you will be at 0 anyway, and Firewizards nuking (not bolting mind you, thats because the bolts really arent very based on resists but mainly af...) and thats not very common...they rely heavily on their bolts)

OK thats the resists that are lowerable...atleast for fg vs fg...(might be different for 1 vs 1)

The rest of the resists you really should have 21-26 in. Though in fg vs fg the last 4-5 % really wount make much difference, I myself usually opt for utility rather than 2 % more resist.

Hope there was something you could use!:)

/Charmangle

Darkmack

One of Freddy's beloved
charmangle said:
Well Id rate them in the following order of nonimportance...(1 beeing the least important one hence drop it completly if you can)

2. Energy (Very few damage types are energy, You basically only have freaky specced Eldrich in hib (which are rare) and Hib Pbae, which they arent supposed to reach you with anyway:)
4. Heat (As I said before its a close one with this and spirit...heat damage is mainly comming from 2 places, Hib Caster baseline damage, this damage is Always debuffed first (chanters phuie), meaning that you will be at 0 anyway, and Firewizards nuking (not bolting mind you, thats because the bolts really arent very based on resists but mainly af...) and thats not very common...they rely heavily on their bolts)

Hope there was something you could use!:)

/Charmangle

chanters often cold debuff for elds, grapple pb and your dead we do it often. I'm using energy weapons in fg against mids because they gimp the resist - fotm spec from aug healer gives 8% energy resist then the 5-10% more in the template they have makes for fun dmg

Cadelin

Resident Freddy
Darkmack said:
chanters often cold debuff for elds, grapple pb and your dead we do it often. I'm using energy weapons in fg against mids because they gimp the resist - fotm spec from aug healer gives 8% energy resist then the 5-10% more in the template they have makes for fun dmg

I agree with the Darkmack here. In templates I make I don't bother with matter or spirit damage but I try to have reasonable energy resists. Sorc mezz, hib pbaoe, sun weapons, they come up alot especially if you are a tank.

gohan

FH is my second home
i keep hearing that revers do spirirt damage.... but a reavers only decent magic damage is levi an thats cold.... waht do they do thats spirit? the aoes that do 9 damage? or the dd that does say 90? either way its not important enought to change a template for

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
I agree too...

Darkmack said:

I agree too, I actually choose energy over spirit quite often too...but...

if the other group is allowed to use 2 chars in a fg to take out a tank (with stale action like: grapple-pbaoe) without getting interrupted, your group isnt doing what its supposed to. And gimping spirit resist would just make others use spirit weapons, which are easier than energy to use. In the end, its less really lethal damage comming out of energy than spirit...atleast they have to run their legs off to use their energy damage, which they really shouldnt be allowed to do.

(not sure where your heading with the cold debuff though? Yes they often cold debuff for Elds, but you need high cold resists when they cant assist like that. And for other damage :)

Point here beeing, you MUST gimp atleast 2 resists, and in the arguments list spirit is dealth by 2 ranged damage classes (theurge/necro), while energy is basically only dealt by the hib pbae.

/Charmangle

Nul

Fledgling Freddie
This is how I try to spec my resists:

- Body: 25% Sorc dmg etc.
- Matter: no point as mid. Quite rare as lgd weapon as well I think.
- Energy: 10% will do since its quite rare.
- Spirit: 10%+, its quite rare. There is a few air-spec theu out there tho.
- Cold: 20%+ lgd weapons, 25% is minimum on dragon raid.
- Heat: 25% Hib caster dmg.
- Thrust: 25%
- crush: 25%
- slash: 25%

Vandar

Loyal Freddie
Darkmack said:

Do you mean they often debuff for heat and cold? Seems silly to debuff for cold when their baseline is the same or higher delve and an equal or quicker cast time.

charmangle

Fledgling Freddie
Yep...

Vandar said:
Do you mean they often debuff for heat and cold? Seems silly to debuff for cold when their baseline is the same or higher delve and an equal or quicker cast time.

Yea (I play chanter myself on hib), they primerily debuff cold for the eld (which is the main damage output), then secondarily if time etc, debuff heat for themselves...

/Charmangle

Arkian

Fledgling Freddie
Darkmack said:

How would even 26% energy in a template help the person being grappled+pbaoed freely with no interupts? He'd still die.

Shike

Can't get enough of FH
you dont want a capdamagepbae for 1100 up the ass tbh :) it hurts ^^ 700 or so is at least healable, 1100 is not unless you got god himself on a healer :>

id say that these days, all resists are more or less important actually, spirit vs theurgnukers, matter vs roots and theurgpets and also LWusers, cold vs elds and reavers levi, heat vs wizards and basenukes from hibb and also tics aswell, energy, well, sorcmez last longer the less energy you have and eld+chanterpbae=energy so that hurts aswell, manaelds nukes are also energy btw, think their bolts are too iirc, all melee is important, body is always important because of cabis+sorcs and bardmez, etc etc... I dont really skimp any resist at all anymore, it just aint worth it. 22+ in all magical and 25+ in melee is my advice. Body and heat should be 25% aswell if possible.

Each to their own ofc :)

Jor

Fledgling Freddie
Crush: 26/26 Heat: 25/26 Body: 32/31
Slash: 24/28 Cold: 26/26 Spirit: 26/26
Thrust: 29/29 Matter: 15/26 Energy: 22/26

this is what I've come up so far after your advices... could lower spirit for 9% to get +4 parry but don't think that's really worth it atm. Energy comes from jewelry/artis, so can't lower on that one.

So I'll guess I'm in the "all resists are important" fraction with this ;) but since I don't have real good alternatives with my temp but putting leftover points from spirit into parry or power pool I think it's ok.

Again - thanks for your patience and advises.

/bow

Notirt

One of Freddy's beloved
Dump crush resists , not like any Arms or Mercs specc crush nowdays anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom