Resistances for high level instances?

Gray

FH is my second home
The past few days since playing some Dungeons (Mainly Blackrock Spire) i have found that you can have decent defence, but all that counts for nothing if you dont have any resistances.

Im playing a Level 60 Warrior, whom is Arms/Fury but for Raids/Dungeons im doing 1h Defence, which, i thought i would not have liked doing, but on the contrary i actually enjoy it.

But anyway, as a warrior, i want to get some decent sets like Valor, im already using a Deathbone/Valor Hybrid at the moment until i complete the set, but ive come to the conclusion these sets shouldnt be what warriors use while doing places like Molton Core??

Ive been told you need to have high fire resistances to even think about going there properly, but then would i be sacrificing my decent armour ratings? I know you can buy things like Thorium Armour, which has resistances on it, would they be more suitable to use? But again, im probably then going to be losing out on Stamina/Defence meaning i'll probably drop twice as fast none the less?

Do other classes suffer from this also? Hmmm!

Poag

m00?
In molten core, Fire resistance is everything.

Same for Onyxia.

Also if ur planning on doing molten core, i highly recommend a respec to a protection build which is far more usful in the tanking roll :)

Also for MC some shadow protection is good vs some of the early bosses, but fire is the main one.

For example our main tank uses a full Dark Iron set hich gives some 400+ Fire reists and uses the absorb pots and pally fire aura too.

I'll try and find her stats page with her items later.

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Massive fire resist is only worth it for tanking Ragnaros. Sacrificing half your defence and armour for the rest of MC isn't useful. Also anything over 315 FR is a total waste. I pity the healers that have to heal someone with 400+ FR as he'll be gimping his other stats bigtime.

Gray

FH is my second home
yeah thats what im curious about. I took on Drakki last night, with 13 players (Was 15 right upto the end, then it went down to 12, and then we got another priest)

We wiped about 3 times on Drak, but on the fourth we finally cracked it, and the Valor Chest didnt drop :(

But the amount of times the fire hit me, i was getting hit between 300hp-2k per second, it was very tense.. And thats why im thinking if we had a problem on this guy, what someone like Ragnaros is gonna be like

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Gray said:
But the amount of times the fire hit me, i was getting hit between 300hp-2k per second, it was very tense.. And thats why im thinking if we had a problem on this guy, what someone like Ragnaros is gonna be like
Much much harder. :p
Highest hit I've had so far is a 4.5K melee hit (non-crit) in BWL. =o

Poag

m00?
Danya said:
Massive fire resist is only worth it for tanking Ragnaros. Sacrificing half your defence and armour for the rest of MC isn't useful. Also anything over 315 FR is a total waste. I pity the healers that have to heal someone with 400+ FR as he'll be gimping his other stats bigtime.

Corrections, its actually a Might/Dark Iron set, i asked our second MT last night and she came back with what the MT uses. Seems too work, killed Rag with it and the other "Main" raiding guild on the servers aparently uses the same template and have killed rag far more times than we have...gits :(

Incidentally Gray, the armour you get in MC is good for MC, so don't feel you've got have the uberest items before you go in.

When we first started most people had 90% of there class [blue] set, but a fair number still had random blues, hell i've still got some smegging green gloves :(, yet we cleared MC up to Executus in a single run last night...so gotta be doing something right :) [4 hours]

Chrystina

Fledgling Freddie
Gray said:
yeah thats what im curious about. I took on Drakki last night, with 13 players (Was 15 right upto the end, then it went down to 12, and then we got another priest)

We wiped about 3 times on Drak, but on the fourth we finally cracked it, and the Valor Chest didnt drop :(

how can you wipe 3 times on Drakk? :eek7: If pulled correctly it's a piece of cake for 12 people with only one priest :touch:

Gray

FH is my second home
Each time i die (And everyone else also) is when you get too close to him and he starts using the move which states "You're on fire" (and start screaming) and because im in a "confused" mode, i cant get a potion or move away.

Sucks ;o

But gonna have to have a look around for this Dark Iron stuff... i notice half f it looks to be Epic, so its probably gonna cost furk loads to make it/sell it probably? ;o

Unalive

Fledgling Freddie
Yeah the dark iron gear is quite expensive if you buy all Mats from Ah. If however you have a guild stash of cores its not that bad. There realy is no point in getting dark iron gear though unless your attempting ragnaros and even then 150 FR is fine, 300 For MT ish. When you start doing MC it helps to get your main tank kitted out with epics though, makes life a lot easier as you progress.

As for drakk well its a walk in the park even when conflag'd if you got decent healers.

Squalion

Fledgling Freddie
our main tank in Mc has over 450 fire resistance :) (i think it was 503 but not too sure atm) sharon fuckin owns, tanks baron geddon even when he pulses the fire aoe and resist's the shit outta him and rag :)

www.synergywow.com for our guild webby

i as a paladin have 130ish-220 fire res but i havnt got my librams etc, im hoping to have over 275 when im done with my librams and shit and full lawbringer set (5/8 atm)

u NEED fire res shit in mc

heres a link for ya'll

http://lou.sh/~lou/stuff/resist.txt

Danya

Fledgling Freddie
Squalion said:
our main tank in Mc has over 450 fire resistance :) (i think it was 503 but not too sure atm) sharon fuckin owns, tanks baron geddon even when he pulses the fire aoe and resist's the shit outta him and rag :)
That's such a waste - the softcap is targetlevel*5, so 315 for MC bosses.

Solo

Fledgling Freddie
Gale said:
In molten core, Fire resistance is everything.

Same for Onyxia.

Also if ur planning on doing molten core, i highly recommend a respec to a protection build which is far more usful in the tanking roll :)

Also for MC some shadow protection is good vs some of the early bosses, but fire is the main one.

For example our main tank uses a full Dark Iron set hich gives some 400+ Fire reists and uses the absorb pots and pally fire aura too.

I'll try and find her stats page with her items later.

Id say don't bother with fire resistances untill you come to rag and are maintank (heard it is useful there)

Don't waste your time getting valor go for a +defence kit. Should be aiming for around 400 defence. Enchanted Thorium is great for this (helm, chest, legs), there is Medallion of Marshall Morris necklace, Draconian deflector shield, various gloves with defence on etc. Core armour kits can also come in handy. Push your stamina aswell with items like pvp set boots, or master cannoner boots.

Also your spec is fine, sure protection is gonna make life easier but its very possible tanking with arms/fury (something I wasn't gonna give up on a pvp server). You just have to be a little faster / sharper / more aware of whats going on. If your gonna regularly be MT1 then prot is gonna make your performance a bit more reliable.

Valentine

Fledgling Freddie
Our maintank has about 320 fire resist - Most stuff in MC bounces off him. Dark Iron gear is a wonder, but not worth investing in unless you're a main tank.

Myself, not getting into the thick of the action, have around 80 fire resist - Never bothered working on it as I don't get unduly slapped.. If you're concerned about getting blown apart by drakki etc then just get a few + fire resistance items and swop them in and out :)

I only wear the Onyxia quest key (Necklace with + fire resistance and stamina) when in MC or doing Ony. Don't need it otherwise :) Failing that, a Libram of Resiliance will give you a fire resistance enchant on helm or legs I believe - Rarish regs however so make sure you put it on something you're going to be using a long time :)

Gray

FH is my second home
I picked up the Draconian Deflector yesterday, i was mighty chuffed with it since i had already got some other Shield from inside Stratholme only a few hours earlier.

Ive also got the trinket with the 200def/10FR that was some fun, im starting to lose all hope in actually getting much more of the Valor kit anyway, today was the only time i passed on UBRS (in about 10 runs, got nothing) with my guild... and what dropped? Shoulders and Chest :/. I was not, i repeat not amused with that one bit.

exponentiaL

Fledgling Freddie
Gray said:
I picked up the Draconian Deflector yesterday, i was mighty chuffed with it since i had already got some other Shield from inside Stratholme only a few hours earlier.

Ive also got the trinket with the 200def/10FR that was some fun, im starting to lose all hope in actually getting much more of the Valor kit anyway, today was the only time i passed on UBRS (in about 10 runs, got nothing) with my guild... and what dropped? Shoulders and Chest :/. I was not, i repeat not amused with that one bit.

Mate, back in the 'old days' I spend about 50 runs in UBRS to get the last piece, chest, for my rogue.. what happened in those runs you may think? it dropped twice.. who took it? some other rogue, yey.

Then I just decided to stick with +crit stuff from pvp/dm and who knows what till we went MC.

civy

One of Freddy's beloved
If you want 88 free FR then just pop into LBRS. Almost at the start is a group of mobs including a Scarshield Spellbinder. Get your priest to MC this and he can cast a fire resist buff that stacks ontop of all other buffs.

AhoyHoy

Fledgling Freddie
Danya said:
Much much harder. :p
Highest hit I've had so far is a 4.5K melee hit (non-crit) in BWL. =o

Was randomly riding along in Burning Steppes on my warlock doing the epic mount quest when I came across an odd lv60 elite demon standing in the road. I thought "wow, never seen that before, ill have a crack!"... It hit me for 31,321 damage :( ( turned out to be the hunters epic bow quest mob thingy, so it instakills any non hunter that attacks it ).

Valentine

Fledgling Freddie
AhoyHoy said:
Was randomly riding along in Burning Steppes on my warlock doing the epic mount quest when I came across an odd lv60 elite demon standing in the road. I thought "wow, never seen that before, ill have a crack!"... It hit me for 31,321 damage :( ( turned out to be the hunters epic bow quest mob thingy, so it instakills any non hunter that attacks it ).

Hahah!

That's nothing, when I first started doing my epic quest the winterspring demon hit a paladin that was with me for 46,234 damage non crit.

I believe later on a caster friend got too close and was critted for 70k.

Madness, but funny to watch sometimes.. :p

exponentiaL

Fledgling Freddie
Valentine said:
Hahah!

That's nothing, when I first started doing my epic quest the winterspring demon hit a paladin that was with me for 46,234 damage non crit.

I believe later on a caster friend got too close and was critted for 70k.

Madness, but funny to watch sometimes.. :p
Did the Paladin try his shield(s) on the mob? Might wack through it oO

Gray

FH is my second home
Gah :(

The Chromatic Carapiece dropped about 10mins ago, outrolled by rogue who did 100 :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom