Question Resigning myself to change.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
So, i'm awaiting confirmation that i'm off to pastures new and was trying to work out what would be better, a resignation letter written on a whiteboard next to my (mis)managers desk or a resignation haiku? Although i still have to write the latter.

I'm assuming both would be legally fine as long as i sign them in an identifying way.

MYstIC G

Official Licensed Lump of Coal™ Distributor
Staff member
FH Subscriber
As in you've applied for something elsewhere and are waiting to be accepted? If so then, neither. You shouldn't burn bridges unnecessarily.

Insane

Wait... whatwhat?
Turd in an airtight box?

with a nice fancy handwritten letter wishing them the best, and you felt this present best represented the job and everything you've done.

best if you've had a really spicy curry the day before, and possibly a pint or two of guinness following to really give it a good waft.

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
I thought this was a post about you becoming a man, instead of the big girl you obviously are!

Go in there bare-chested and wearing assless chaps, then take a hewuge dump on your boss's desk whilst beating your chest and roaring at the sky - BEFORE you get confirmation of your aceness :)

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
As in you've applied for something elsewhere and are waiting to be accepted? If so then, neither. You shouldn't burn bridges unnecessarily.
Waiting for final T&C on the new job to arrive in the post before confirming new appointment. Better job, better money, better company, no twat-features manager. Already lined up an alternative referee anyway as i'm certain that my existing senior manager is petty and vindictiveness to give me a less than satisfactory reference,.

dysfunction

FH is my second home
Officially they are not allowed to give you a bad reference. Officially the worst they can say is that you worked there.

Unofficially of course your new employer could receive a bad reference...

Scouse

Giant Thundercunt
FH Subscriber
References are a mixed bag really. I mean, a bad reference could prevent you getting a job - but it means that your prospective employer is basing that decision on trust of a stranger.

If you've impressed in interview then they've already more reason to trust you than they have an old employer - they've actually met you face to face.

I think they should be made illegal. It'll certainly make interviewers do their job a bit more thoroughly...

Ormorof

FH is my second home
yeah i have to admit i cherry pick my references, luckily my best two are from my previous two employers who tell people the sun shines out of my... well you get the idea :)

but i have had references from people that, while i have worked with them didnt really know me that well beyond the fact that i worked ok in the company, which can be a bit frustrating (a reference of "Yes he worked here from xxxxx until xxxxx then he left is not much use to anyone really)

i prefer a written reference though, as that way you can keep it so incase that person goes awol, or company goes bust the reference can still be used! (one company i worked for my reference had a sex change and denied any existence of person she used to be!)

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
Officially they are not allowed to give you a bad reference. Officially the worst they can say is that you worked there.

Unofficially of course your new employer could receive a bad reference...

Actually that's a myth. They can give you any reference they want, they just have to make sure it's accurate otherwise they leave themselves liable.

rynnor

Rockhound
Actually that's a myth. They can give you any reference they want, they just have to make sure it's accurate otherwise they leave themselves liable.

100% correct - in practice big companies with legal departments are likely to give very short x worked here from yyyy to zzzz type references or none at all.

Smaller companies might give a bad reference but they'd be stupid to do so because they really can be sued even if it just gives the wrong impression or puts undue emphasis on one aspect of a persons work.

Wazzerphuk

FH is my second home
TBH, the first sounds like it could be considered under misconduct, meaning that if they wanted to they could turn your resignation around and sack you, and then any references they give are accurate in that you were sacked for misconduct.

Basically, don't be a chump for no reason. Resignation Haiku, if submitted through the proper channels is much less likely to give you grief, and a laugh if they fail to spot it's a haiku.

yaruar

Can't get enough of FH
TBH, the first sounds like it could be considered under misconduct, meaning that if they wanted to they could turn your resignation around and sack you, and then any references they give are accurate in that you were sacked for misconduct.

Basically, don't be a chump for no reason. Resignation Haiku, if submitted through the proper channels is much less likely to give you grief, and a laugh if they fail to spot it's a haiku.

TBH i'm not stupid enough to do either, i suspect he's going to have a go at me tomorrow in a private meeting (as is par for the course) and i'll just walk off telling him it quit and drop my resignation off on his and his bosses desk with the standard "please accept this letter as my intention to resign as of x date"

And then i will get annoyed as my current employers don't believe in gardening leave so i will have to spend a month coming into the office to sit at my desk posting to the internet all day.

Roo Stercogburn

Resident Freddy
1) Do nothing agressive.
2) Wait for written confirmation of job offer.
3) Proper professional resignation. Thank them for the experience. No veiled digs.
4) Leave with your head held high.

In truth, they don't matter. The only thing that matters is you. Moving on and looking back, I suspect you'll feel better down the line that you were completely professional, even if the company you were at weren't. Its one more way to feel good about yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom